Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey all,

I was just wondering, I'm on the hunt for suitable Australian plans for my new Pre 2. What kind of Data cap should I be looking for?

I have wifi at home which I will favour at most times, but what limit do you recommend when looking for a plan?

Is 512mb enough, or should I look towards, or even beyond, a 1GB plan?

Thanks
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
    I know there have been posts from people with 500mb plans that have had problems, because of how the Pre. always uses data. So, you may want a bigger plan.

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    I have the Pre (not plus, not 2). I think I'm using more than 500mb. I have two email accounts and get lots of mail. I don't do a lot of web browsing, and I watch the occasional you-tube, but not that often. So I think it's a data hog.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    I know there have been posts from people with 500mb plans that have had problems, because of how the Pre. always uses data. So, you may want a bigger plan.

Sent from my eVo
    Ahk thanks. I'll try aim for a 1GB plan then
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
    also, install end overlord monitoring via preware
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by codecrumb View Post
    also, install end overlord monitoring via preware
    What is end overload monitoring? I've never heard of that.
    The last 2 months that I used my Pre, I had it on WiFi all the time, except when running to the store, or such and still used well over 500mb.

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    The last 2 months that I used my Pre, I had it on WiFi all the time, except when running to the store, or such and still used well over 500mb.

Sent from my eVo
    Hmm interesting. Thanks for the info. Also, does the Pre only update via 3G or data? When I had my Pre Plus on GPRS I couldn't update webos.
    fwiw, I was just using a prepaid plan recentlt and consumed about 1GB per week. Ymmv
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by codecrumb View Post
    fwiw, I was just using a prepaid plan recentlt and consumed about 1GB per week. Ymmv
    Wow you chewed through your usage pretty fast!! I doubt I could afford 1GB every week!
  11.    #11  
    I found a 1GB plan and so far its doing fine. I'm on Vodafone AU and the 3G signal is fine. Thanks for helping me out.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    editor02, I'll be going down under for studies soon and will be bringing my pre plus along. What plan with which provider would you recommend? It's quite mind boggling when I google for aussie providers and a whole list comes up. Not telstra's NextG though as I'm using the UK version.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfool View Post
    editor02, I'll be going down under for studies soon and will be bringing my pre plus along. What plan with which provider would you recommend? It's quite mind boggling when I google for aussie providers and a whole list comes up. Not telstra's NextG though as I'm using the UK version.
    Okay Fatfool, how long are you staying and how much do you plan to pay?

Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Editor02 View Post
    Okay Fatfool, how long are you staying and how much do you plan to pay?

Well, I'll be in sydney (pardon me if I sound a little bit of a ******* with the location as where I come from, the concept of 'state', 'city', 'suburbs' really has no meaning whatsoever.

Say I'd be willing to pay 40 aussie tops. Thanks for the help, 'mate'. (Erm, that's the lingo there isn't it?)
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfool View Post
    Well, I'll be in sydney (pardon me if I sound a little bit of a ******* with the location as where I come from, the concept of 'state', 'city', 'suburbs' really has no meaning whatsoever.

Say I'd be willing to pay 40 aussie tops. Thanks for the help, 'mate'. (Erm, that's the lingo there isn't it?)
    Sorry about the delayed reply, I was out on a trip and my 3G service wasn't holding up :S

Regarding your issue, I see that you will have to make sure not to get a plan with a contract, so that may make the price choices a little different.

I came across this site on the "Optus" network which caters specifically for people visiting Australia. It may or may not suit your needs...
    [Link]

Other than that I'd assume you could get Prepaid, let me know what you think.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    oh, no probs. And I won't be just 'visiting', I'll be there for three years at least! So a contract plan would be suitable.

Oh, my, as your experience shows, I gotta be careful about choosing a carrier since some don't have full coverage?

actually I'll need to get an ADSL line too but that's pushing the topic haha.

Man I gotta change my mindset. I didn't even know there could be a naked line.
  17.    #17  
    okay, now I understand your situation a little better. Just quickly regarding ADSL, i recommend TPG Australia. I'm with them and they are great money for value.

For your phone plan, I'm not really sure what works best on the UK Pre 2, but I'm on Crazy Johns (a subsidiary of Vodafone and Three Australia) and the connection isn't always best, but they get the job done and give me quite a bit of data for not too much per month.
  18.    #18  
    EDIT:// Urgh no idea why this double posted. sorry
    Last edited by Editor02; 02/06/2011 at 04:59 AM. Reason: Double post for some reason.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Editor02 View Post
    okay, now I understand your situation a little better. Just quickly regarding ADSL, i recommend TPG Australia. I'm with them and they are great money for value.

For your phone plan, I'm not really sure what works best on the UK Pre 2, but I'm on Crazy Johns (a subsidiary of Vodafone and Three Australia) and the connection isn't always best, but they get the job done and give me quite a bit of data for not too much per month.
    I see. The EU Pre 2 is pretty much the upgraded version of the UK/German/Spainish/French Pre Plus and it has the same bands. Since you're using a non telstra network, I guess you have a Pre 2 EU.

But thanks so much for the recommendations! Now I have something concrete to work on. The 29 AUD plan for 1gb from Crazy John's is certainly attractive considering how I pay 39 SGD for 12gb here. (The data here's basically unlimited so I take it as 1gb per month anyway)
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    1GB / month is a good place to start...
    Of course it depends on you usage, but that's the lower usage limit I would expect for a smartphone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast