Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello All,

After shattering my iPhone 4...for the 2nd time, I decided to give the Palm Pre 2 a go. I've heard so many good things about webOS and considered purchasing the Palm Pre Plus last year. Today, I just ordered an unlocked Palm Pre 2 from HP.com (ordered next day morning shipping!).

I know February 9th is a big date, and perhaps I should have waited until then, but I think the Pre 2 with it's upgraded specs and optimized OS will be able to go toe-to toe with current and some near-release phones.

As I'm a greenhorn to Palm and webOS in general, what are some things I should be aware of initially when setting up, exploring webOS? Any highly recommended apps, themes, ect?

Cheers!
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Welcome. You need

WOSQI: http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...l-v3-14-a.html

and

PreWare: Application:Preware - WebOS Internals

Then check out patches and themes.

Enjoy.
  3.    #3  
    Awesome, thanks!
    Congratulations on your buy. I had mine sent today, all the way down under to Australia! Can't wait to get my hands on it! Good luck with yours, and welcome to the Palm community!
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
    congrats!! my friend ordered one but still waiting for shipment. can't wait to check it out!
    Quote Originally Posted by penetrode View Post
    Hello All,

As I'm a greenhorn to Palm and webOS in general, what are some things I should be aware of initially when setting up, exploring webOS? Any highly recommended apps, themes, ect?

Cheers!
    By default contacts you enter manually are synced to your palm profile and only your palm profile. While this is great if you stick with webOS it's led to complications for people wanting to switch platforms. If you've already got your contacts somewhere like gmail, you can change the default in the preferences of the contacts app.

P.S. Welcome!
    nice! You made a great purchase. It feels and looks amazing if you like the original pre
    My advice is the first app you purchase from the app store (for $1.99, I believe should be "Preware Homebrew." It's a very well-written, concise description of how to customize your phone to your liking.
    If the new phone on Feb 9 tickles your fancy, I believe you'll probably be able to return the Pre 2 and get that instead.

If you think that its specs justify the higher price point, that is.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    the pre 2 and webos beat the iphone and blackberry bold i had hands down. best os ever. you'll be glad you made the switch, i know i am. nothing but good things....
    can't fix stupid...
    Just got mine a few weeks ago, I love it. Had a Pre minus that I got rid of and was missing webOS ever since.
    have a Pre2 while most of my friends have iPhones, so I know both. No way I would go with an iPhone...

there are some Apps missing on webOS, but this is just a matter of time, as new APIs for developers become available with webOS 2.0 so all the apps can (and will) happen on webOS.

but on the productivity side of live...nothing beats webOS!! :-)
    Just got mine a couple of days ago! Most of my friends are with the big three (iphone, bb, android) while I'm still the lone Palm'er. Though having played with all three for the past 3 weeks, web os/pre 2 is my #1. It also helps that I've been a palm fan since the days of the zire .

Hope you enjoy the pre 2 as much as I do!
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    If the new phone on Feb 9 tickles your fancy, I believe you'll probably be able to return the Pre 2 and get that instead.

If you think that its specs justify the higher price point, that is.
    That was my thinking. I've decided to order the Pre 2 (no interest 6 months) and it has a 21 day return policy. I'm going to sample AT&T's network in San Francisco and see what the announcement brings. If they announce a great new phone that looks better than the Pre 2, or AT&T's coverage stinks than I'll return it.
  15.    #15  
    I just got my pre 2 and I'm really dissapointed in HP. They sold me a used phone advertised as new.

No screen wrapper, fingerprints, clear signs of use. I can deal with this.

But the slider hinge is really loose. This is unacceptable.

Return time.
    O wow... Thats bad! Deffinately return!
    I just bought a Pre 2 from eBay, hope its good!
    I just received my Pre 2 today. Pastorrich1 bought it from HP, bought a Simon Malls Giftcard for me, and sent it down to Australia where I live.

So far so good. Its a great phone, not the biggest improvement from the Pre Plus, but the build quality is considerably better, and I love the fast speed (my Pre Plus used to lag quite a bit).
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
    Quote Originally Posted by ratchetjaw View Post
    mine came in today, all seems well syncing up to my palm profile from when i had my pre + thats pretty sweet. Having issues trying to get the new webosqi to recognize my pre so now patches yet

Make sure your Pre 2 is securely plugged in, install WebOS QuickInstall v4 [link]

Follow the instructions there. Maybe you missed a step eg. (have the webos doctor jar in the same folder as the quickinstall jar, and install novacom drivers).

Let me know if this helps
    When I had my Pre Plus I found that it wouldn't work on one computer, and would on another. Luckily you have more than one PC then!

Glad its fixed. If there are any more problems, I recommend posting the issue as an individual topic on Precentral, as it is less likely for someone to come across your issue here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast