1.    #1  
    Background:
    • Pre 2, USA GSM 2.0.1
    • Syncing both Google Contact & Facebook Contacts

When I first sync my contact accounts, it takes some time but all the pictures eventually download. A small number of my Google Contacts have pictures.

At first everything seems to work fine but as more SMS messages come in, certain pictures start to disappear in the Messaging App but not necessarily in other places. In the attached pictures, you can see that Emily and Alex's pictures both show up in the Recent Calls view but Alex's is missing from the Messaging view while Emily's is fine. For what it's worth, both of those contacts have a Google profile and a Facebook profile. They're in the handful that have Google pictures, but both are set to use the Facebook picture as the primary.

Other data points:
    • As to the other 2 conversations in that view, Oscar has both a Google & Facebook picture and we're looking at his Facebook. Micah has a Google profile without a picture, but his Facebook picture should be showing up. Interestingly, Micah's DOES show up in the Dialer and Contacts App, but NOT in Just Type.

• I have some other contacts in the Messaging view that show the "default/no picture" icon instead of the empty box with the similar situation as Micah (true picture appears in Dialer/Contacts, "default icon" in Messaging/Just Type)

• It doesn't seem to matter if they're linked to FB or not, though: I have one contact that doesn't have a FB account but does have a Google picture. Like the others, her picture shows up in Dialer/Contacts but gives the "Empty Box" in Messaging/Just Type.

Anyone experience anything like this? I've tried turning off contacts from sync under Accounts which didn't help. Also removed both accounts entirely, re-added and had the same result.

It's not a huge deal since it doesn't affect the usability of the phone, but it's an annoyance...especially since I can't figure out WHY it's not working. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. Is it time to doctor?
    Attached Images Attached Images
  2.    #2  
    Yikes, woke up this morning and it's getting worse! Picture attached...anyone seen this before?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You need to open google on computer and add profile pics in there . And then sync your phone to google . This should work .
    also any pics you added to profile on phone should be removed . It's a conflicting thing. Google syncs up no pic if you don't have a pic added through google so if you have a pic you added to a profile on the phone google removes when you sync . Get it ? Let me know if you get it to work.
    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    You need to open google on computer and add profile pics in there . And then sync your phone to google . This should work .
    Thanks for the reply, but it doesn't seem to matter if the pictures are from Google or from Facebook -- both kinds of pictures eventually disappear like this. They do show up in the Dialer and Contacts app, but not in Messaging or Just Type, which leads me to believe that there's something else going on.
    Quote Originally Posted by nkedge View Post
    Yikes, woke up this morning and it's getting worse! Picture attached...anyone seen this before?
    If those are FB pics then yes. I Dr'd last night and everything was working prior to it, this morning though I am missing the pics for a number of my contacts that I have linked to FB.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    If those are FB pics then yes. I Dr'd last night and everything was working prior to it, this morning though I am missing the pics for a number of my contacts that I have linked to FB.
    The first contact is a Google pic, though he does have a linked FB profile. I've set Google to the default on that particular contact, though. When I click through and go to the actual conversation, the pictures show up...but not in this list view.

RE: Google vs FB pictures, some of the worst offenders for disappearing pictures have been contacts with ONLY a Google profile (no linked FB profile).
  7.    #8  
    Thanks....I've seen this, but unfortunately it simply doesn't work. Firstly, when tapping the header bar from Messaging to view the Contact Card, I can't switch primary profiles for that contact. I think this is a 2.0.1 bug -- it HAS to be done through the Contacts app, which is tedious to have to go back and forth between Messaging and Contacts (even stacked) to see which pictures are messed up. As I mentioned, the pictures show up as expected in Contacts so it's not quite as simple as thumbing through Contacts.

Secondly, it's a temporary fix at best. The pictures disappear again as soon as I receive another text message or phone call. Again, they only seem to disappear in Messaging and Just Type, but strangely not the Dialer or Contacts.
    Quote Originally Posted by nkedge View Post
    Thanks....I've seen this, but unfortunately it simply doesn't work. Firstly, when tapping the header bar from Messaging to view the Contact Card, I can't switch primary profiles for that contact. I think this is a 2.0.1 bug -- it HAS to be done through the Contacts app, which is tedious to have to go back and forth between Messaging and Contacts (even stacked) to see which pictures are messed up. As I mentioned, the pictures show up as expected in Contacts so it's not quite as simple as thumbing through Contacts.

Secondly, it's a temporary fix at best. The pictures disappear again as soon as I receive another text message or phone call. Again, they only seem to disappear in Messaging and Just Type, but strangely not the Dialer or Contacts.
    Sorry that didn't work. I don't have a Pre 2 to confirm the "Primary Profile Bug". Best of luck!
  9.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Oversteer325 View Post
    Sorry that didn't work. I don't have a Pre 2 to confirm the "Primary Profile Bug". Best of luck!
    Thanks for replying though!
    I have noticed something similar. When I'm trying to call someone, the "starred" contact list in the dialer app won't let me call anyone unless it's downloaded all the contact pictures. This is really annoying because if I want to scroll to a contact down below, it won't let me and shows me the first few contacts while it sits there downloading contact pictures ... the existing pictures disappear and then come back.

I have synced all my contacts with my google account.
    Hi, nkedge, I have the same problem. And you're right - it's very annoying since you don't know the nature of this thing.
  12.    #13  
    Well I'm sorry to hear it but I am glad that it's not just me. Maybe something that will be fixed with 2.1.0?
    From what others have said, this is a fix Palm is working on for their release.
    Hope to see it, thnx!
    this may be related, but it used to be in 1.4.5 that if you added a contact picture on the Pre and synced your contacts with Google, the picture would be added and could be seen online in your google account.

Now that's not the case. This problem can also lead to the disappearing contact pictures. If you add a bunch of contact pictures on the Pre and then the phone syncs with Google at some point, it may actually pull the data from Google, which is no picture. At least that's what happened with me.

The Palm Pre 2: Two steps forward, one step back. Or is it one step forward, two steps back?
    Quote Originally Posted by onlinespending View Post

The Palm Pre 2: Two steps forward, one step back. Or is it one step forward, two steps back?
    Its not the Per 2 causing this, its WebOS 2.0.1 (or what ever version loaded). Its a bug I'll assume will be fixed in the next update or a patch.
    I'm having the same issue on my new Verizon Pre 2. Very frustrating. Any other ideas or solutions out there?
    Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
    Happening on my Pre Plus, too. And a bunch of contacts have disappeared as well. Even my wife's home and mobile numbers. I noticed an SMS from her that had only the number tonight.

Doctor heal thyself.

Len
    Last edited by modemjunkie; 06/23/2011 at 07:58 PM. Reason: typos