1.    #1  
    Didn't see any information about this, so I thought I would post. When I add my Google Apps for Education calendars, they all show up, but the only one I can add an event to is my work calendar. I have a personal calendar, one for my daughter's school district etc. and it will not let me add events to them even though I am the owner.

Also the battery life is terrible. Suggestions?
    Have you gone into the calendar settings and enabled the calendar for mobile?

In terms of battery, set the email app to "as it arrives" and then do a title search here on battery or battery life for many threads with dozens of tips on battery life.
  3.    #3  
    Are you able to make calendar events for all your Google Apps calendars? The mobile setting is turned on. I believe you mean in the dashboard for Google Apps?
    no, I am talking about calendar settings.

And yes, I am able to create appointments on the phone that sync to the web.

If nothing else works, remove the account from email and calendar apps. Wait a little while and then add it back.

If none of that works, create another gmail account - and enable it for mobile - and then see if you have the same issue with that account. I'm betting you wont. But, that will give you a space to play in while you troubleshoot.
  5.    #5  
    I can sync events to the web, however this is a Google Apps for Education account. Not a personal one. My personal one syncs fine.