1.    #1  
    The is a deal breaker for me. While I love the OS, I would not have bought this phone (Pre+) had I known I couldn't edit Excel files.
    February 9, 2011 - A case study in how not to introduce new products.
    you can edit excel files using google docs. incase you didnt know.
    When webOS 2.0 comes out this year, it will come with Quick Office. The default app you get with webOS 2.0, I think, will only let you view docs. But there will be an upgrade you can pay for to actually edit them. At least thats what I remember reading.
    Quote Originally Posted by elpollodiablo1 View Post
    you can edit excel files using google docs. incase you didnt know.
    In today's world, it's all about apps existing on your phone, Forget the web apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    In today's world, it's all about apps existing on your phone, Forget the web apps.
    Actually - In today's world, it's all about the "Cloud". The apps on your phone simply access the synergy of data in the cloud so your data and files are available from different devices in different places.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Yes, you are correct, in today's world it is all about apps existing on your phone but in tomorrows world it is all about the "Cloud" as the post above me said.

I would rather have my documents in a remote location that I can access from any device that has internet access instead of having them on each piece of hardware I own. But then again the cloud is an easier and more intrusive alternative to having your own server. So pick your poison.
    A: No.
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elpollodiablo1 View Post
    Yes, you are correct, in today's world it is all about apps existing on your phone but in tomorrows world it is all about the "Cloud" as the post above me said.

I would rather have my documents in a remote location that I can access from any device that has internet access instead of having them on each piece of hardware I own. But then again the cloud is an easier and more intrusive alternative to having your own server. So pick your poison.
    Huh? The 'cloud' is not going to change the need for apps on your device, if anything they will make them more important. All of my documents exist in the cloud but if I'm editing them on the device it's with a local app - anything else would be highly problematical - how would you do any document editing if there was no reception?
    WebOS 2 is out, with Quickoffice. At this moment, Quickoffice is view only, but they said they are going to include editing soon (timed for tablet?).

The other solution was Classic and Docs to Go. I used up to version 11, with no issues. But now Classic is in limbo...
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
  10.    #10  
    Thanks folks. I bought into the story that the Pre+ was going to get document editing last time. This time, if it isn't available when I buy then I ain't buying. Still, I won't be replacing my Pre+ for a few more months so there is time. (But it won't be with a Pre2. I've had enough of Pre plastic.)
    February 9, 2011 - A case study in how not to introduce new products.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullroarer Took View Post
    Thanks folks. I bought into the story that the Pre+ was going to get document editing last time. This time, if it isn't available when I buy then I ain't buying. Still, I won't be replacing my Pre+ for a few more months so there is time. (But it won't be with a Pre2. I've had enough of Pre plastic.)
    Well the Pre2 doesn't use plastic. The screen is Gorilla Glass, which is made by the same people who make Pyrex.

Also, QuickOffice has said they'll have an editor after 2.0 goes public, so I believe they mean public for all devices, not just the Pre2.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullroarer Took View Post
    +1 to what Arthurthornton said, and Scratch Word Processor works well for document editiing.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Huh? The 'cloud' is not going to change the need for apps on your device, if anything they will make them more important. All of my documents exist in the cloud but if I'm editing them on the device it's with a local app - anything else would be highly problematical - how would you do any document editing if there was no reception?
    the cloud isn't just a place to store your files so you can access them anywhere in the internet. Programs are also hosted from a cloud so you don't need to have the app/Program on each of your device(computer, smart phone, tablet, ect....) for editing a document. One example is Office 365 and Office Web Apps. They host the Office Suit on the cloud allowing you to view and edit documents while online through your web browser. As for the not having reception a lot of these web apps are working on an offline mode. Zoho already has an offline mode so you can still do all you need to do even though you have no connectivity. These technologies are not fully supported on Smart phones yet but that is technology. It takes time. Apps/Programs on Devices are the oldest technology associated with computes. Since the Internets is now used more then on device Programs, industry is trying to push more and more things to be internet based.

I am not saying on device apps/programs are going to be replaced completely. Somethings just need to be on device but for the most commonly used applications(email, documents, videos, music) they will be cloud apps. but I could be wrong about where web/cloud technology is going.
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    +1 to what Arthurthornton said, and Scratch Word Processor works well for document editiing.
    I was going to mention scratch. Good call.