Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    All,

I can't get my new Palm recognized by Windows. Which i need to run WebOS Quick Install.
    I've tried everything i could find on the web (been looking for 4 days now...)

I can't get it recognized on both my XP and Vista machines.
    I have 2 brand new Palm USB to microUSB cables, both don't work.

-I installed 'webOS Quick Install' & 'webOSDocter'
    -I ran the "attempt Novacom (re) installation" serveral times
    -I checked to see if Novacom is running (including the service)
    -My phone is in dev mode (& restarted, however i did not ask me to restart so i restarted manually)
    -I installed the SDK
    -I'm using "just charge"

I'm European so the carrier isn't important to me.
    Every time i connect my phone, it asks me to install 'new hardware'
    When i look in my windows device manager it pops up as:
    + other devices
    - Novacom
    (jpg in attachment)

I'm litteraly going insane! Does anyone know what's wrong ???

(also posted this in the palm pre forum but now reposted because this is the right forum to post...)

Much appreciated,
    Nick
    Attached Images Attached Images
    try this: unplug your phone from the computer and restart it completely. Open the windows control panel and restart the novacom service.

then plug the phone in to your PC.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    try this: unplug your phone from the computer and restart it completely. Open the windows control panel and restart the novacom service.

then plug the phone in to your PC.
    Tried it, no change ...

thanks for helping, much appreciated! any other idea's?
    try this... with it plugged in, go to Device Manager and delete the entry for it. You can plug it in and out to determine for sure which one it is, it will probably show up as an "unidentified device" . Once deleted, try plugging it back in (depending on OS, you may want to reboot first). This should cause it to reload the drivers for it...

I had to do that once on my Win7 64 bit system...
    Last edited by Prdamrican; 01/02/2011 at 11:40 AM. Reason: fixed typo
    Did you run the webOS 2.0 doctor? Try running it through the first few steps. Once it ask you to plug in your device, stop following the prompts and close the doctor. That re-installs the Novacom drivers in the Checking System step. Just don't forget to stop after that step.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Prdamrican View Post
    try this... with it plugged in, go to Device Manager and delete the entry for it. You can plug it in and out to determine for sure which one it is, it will probably show up as an "unidentified device" . Once deleted, try plugging it back in (depending on OS, you may want to reboot first). This should cause it to reload the drivers for it...

I had to do that once on my Win7 64 bit system...
    tried it no result.

update: in my device manager I get 2 entries (check attachment):
    1: mobile device - palm device
    2: other devices - novacom
    --> my computer does not recognize my palm
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoove09 View Post
    Did you run the webOS 2.0 doctor? Try running it through the first few steps. Once it ask you to plug in your device, stop following the prompts and close the doctor. That re-installs the Novacom drivers in the Checking System step. Just don't forget to stop after that step.
    tried it (is in 1 of the other posts on this forum) no change
    sounds like the only thing you haven't tried is manually installing the novacom drivers. Change the extension for the Dr. from .jar to .zip then go into it, then in the resources folder you will find two novacom .msi files. Run one, then restart your computer and see if your phone is recognized by webOS Quick Install. If not then repeat with the other one.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    sounds like the only thing you haven't tried is manually installing the novacom drivers. Change the extension for the Dr. from .jar to .zip then go into it, then in the resources folder you will find two novacom .msi files. Run one, then restart your computer and see if your phone is recognized by webOS Quick Install. If not then repeat with the other one.
    tried it, didn't work.

update: i tried with a 2e brand new never used palm pre 2, didn't work either.

now installed on a 3e computer and i'm able to connect, however i still can't install apps (they don't appear in the launcher) and i can't install tweaks, i get the following error: sorry: this is not currently available for your version of webOS (i'm using 2.0.0 on an unlocked phone)
  10.    #10  
    tried it, no succes...

update:
    - unstalled it on a 3e computer, this computer recognizes the Palm but when i install an ikp i get the following error 'ERROR:' (there is no specific info). now this could be because i'm not Admin on this PC.

- back to the original 2 computers on which i need this to work: i tried connecting a 2e BRAND NEW NEVER USED palm pre 2 --> same problem
    and since my (first) palm is recognized on my 3e computer, we know it's not a hardware problem from my Palm (or USB cable)...

anyone got an idea???
    i'm going totally mental with this one...
    Quote Originally Posted by nickyboy View Post
    tried it, no succes...

update:
    - unstalled it on a 3e computer, this computer recognizes the Palm but when i install an ikp i get the following error 'ERROR:' (there is no specific info). now this could be because i'm not Admin on this PC.

- back to the original 2 computers on which i need this to work: i tried connecting a 2e BRAND NEW NEVER USED palm pre 2 --> same problem
    and since my (first) palm is recognized on my 3e computer, we know it's not a hardware problem from my Palm (or USB cable)...

anyone got an idea???
    i'm going totally mental with this one...
    the error you got is because WOSQI is no updated for webOS 2.0.x yet. Restart your phone and your app should be there.

Also, the only patches that work with 2.0.x right now are available via Preware.

But it sounds like you have everything going now.
    Last edited by pastorrich1; 01/03/2011 at 07:55 AM.
  12.    #12  
    the error you got is because WOSQI is no updated for webOS 2.0.x yet. Restart your phone and your app should be there.

Also, the only patches that work with 2.0.x right now are available via Preware.

But it sounds like you have everything going now.

thanks for the quick reply.

Just restarted my pc and palm on the computer that recognizes my palm.
    still getting the same error
    so if i can't install preware, i can't reach the patches...

on my other 2 computers (the ones i really need this on), my palm stil isn't recognized :-(

I'm offering a 15 reward for anyone who figures out my problem !!!
    If you got it to connect and were able to download Preware (clicking the Blue arrow and selecting the Pre feed, select Preware then Download then close) and Preware shows in the big box above the install button, then click Install. If it acts like it is installing and then gives the "error" just click OK, and allow it to finish, unplug the phone and then turn the phone off and then on again, Preware will be on the bottom of your first launcher page.
  14.    #14  
    If you got it to connect and were able to download Preware (clicking the Blue arrow and selecting the Pre feed, select Preware then Download then close) and Preware shows in the big box above the install button, then click Install. If it acts like it is installing and then gives the "error" just click OK, and allow it to finish, unplug the phone and then turn the phone off and then on again, Preware will be on the bottom of your first launcher page.
    m8 u were right, seems that Preware is installed (but still that's not normal behaviour for webos quickinstall right?)
    so this is partially solved...

still the main issue --> any idea how i can get my pre recognized on my own 2 pc's?
    Quote Originally Posted by nickyboy View Post
    m8 u were right, seems that Preware is installed (but still that's not normal behaviour for webos quickinstall right?)
    so this is partially solved...

still the main issue --> any idea how i can get my pre recognized on my own 2 pc's?
    Well it's expected behavior since quick install isn't updated for webOS 2.0.x yet.

Now that you have Preware running, the only thing you will need to connect to your computer for is to Dr. or add or remove music/media/data which should work in USB mode fine.
  16.    #16  
    Well it's expected behavior since quick install isn't updated for webOS 2.0.x yet.

Now that you have Preware running, the only thing you will need to connect to your computer for is to Dr. or add or remove music/media/data which should work in USB mode fine.
    ok m8, still windows not recognizing my palm is not really a wOSqi issue...
    so if anyone knows how to fix so i can use quickinstall in my private computer, please inform me...

or is there another easy way to install ikp files?
    Preware is how you install IPK files. Just email them to yourself or copy them to your USB partition.
    You can also install the Browser Multi Mod patch and paste in an IPK address in your Pre 2 browser and it will register itself as streaming media and give you the option to download it. It then goes to the downloads folder on your USB partition where it can be installed using Preware right from your phone.
  19.    #19  
    You can also install the Browser Multi Mod patch and paste in an IPK address in your Pre 2 browser and it will register itself as streaming media and give you the option to download it. It then goes to the downloads folder on your USB partition where it can be installed using Preware right from your phone.
    got it thanks!
    I hope you got dev mode 'on' in the Pre2 for wosQI to work...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast