Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I think its time to move the freeTether dialogue away from the MHS thread.

If you've been been keeping tabs via the publicly available freeTether summary page, then you know Ryan and Eric have practically been working non-stop on this. They're very close to releasing a version of freeTether designed to work on both webOS 1.x and webOS 2.x devices.

I don't see an updated version in the feeds yet, but hopefully we'll have some good news to report soon. Stay tuned ...

Here's some history and tethering background for those who've recently joined our webOS community:

- Palm has released MHS for use on "supported" carriers. Since Palm devices are only offered by some carriers, that limits the rest of us who happen to use unlocked Palm devices on carriers unsupported by Palm to fend for ourselves when it comes to tethering solutions.

- A variety of successful tethering methods for devices running webOS 1.x on almost all carriers evolved including the addition/modification of services/daemons and/or MHS patching.

- Independent of MHS, there were two different home brew stand-alone applications created for tethering on devices running webOS 1.x - One worked quite well (freeTether). Additionally, the freeTether daemon/service was found to also enable features in a patched version of Palm's MHS allowing tethering on almost all carriers, even unsupported ones. Another stand-alone tethering application (MyTether) worked well for some, and not so well for others. There were others who couldn't get it to work at all.

- Due to changes implemented with the release of webOS 2.x (including some not yet implemented), previous methods used to enable tethering on unapproved carriers were no longer functional. MHS continues to work for tethering on supported carriers. In those cases (SFR France, O2 UK, Rogers Canada, there may be a few others), tethering is generally offered via a feature add-on or a subscription often referred to as a measured data package for tethering purposes. As mentioned, Palm's MHS generally works for tethering on these carriers. Some carriers may include tethering with their unlimited data packages. Thus far, reports of tethering using MHS on devices running webOS 2.x with unsupported carriers have been inconsistent. MHS may or may not work on these carriers. For example, users lucky enough to have Bell Canada as their carrier can tether using MHS on a device running webOS 2.x without any restrictions since their carrier doesn't block private IP addresses. Their tethered data looks no different to their carrier than regular smartphone data.

To summarize the above, depending on the carrier, the technology in place on that carrier, and the level of tethering restrictions the carrier may have in place, it has been demonstrated that MHS (versions 1.1.4 and 1.1.5) can sometimes provide a working solution for tethering on some carriers (either with or without additional services/daemons and patches) without direct support for Palm devices or for tethering. There's no guarantee any given method works or if it does, whether it will work with webOS 2.x or if a currently working modification will continue to work as future updates to WebOS are released.

Its clear a stand-alone (independent from MHS) tethering solution that runs on webOS 1.x and WebOS 2.x devices is sorely needed. The home brew community is stepping up once again with its work to bring the openSource freeTether applacation to devices running WebOS 2.x (as well as continuing to support devices running webOS 1.x).

Remember to Donate here!
    (Directly supports the webOS Internals work on freeTether)

Thanks,
    TTB

freeTether information:
    http://git.webos-internals.org/?p=ap....git;a=summary
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 01/01/2011 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Fixed the freeTether information link.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    It seems this is not only for webOS 2.x.
    From twitter @webosinternals:
    RT @_PuffTheMagic_: Support #freeTether development for
    #webos 1.x and 2.x by donating http://bit.ly/icBCOZ //(specific #freeTether Paypal)
  3.    #3  
    Thanks to somlime for the following info and screenshots from twitter:

Quote Originally Posted by somline
    For those not using twitter.
    This look very good. Bluetooth and wifi connected at the same time!
    My pre would need some serious cooling ;-)
    Dr. Battery
    From @webosinternals
    RT @_PuffTheMagic_: yet another #freeTether spoiler

Remember to Donate here!

Thanks,
    TTB
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    Very exciting, can't wait for it to show up in the testing feeds!

Donation made! Happy New Year to all!
    I have been following all the threads on tethering. There are some things that confuse me.
    There seems to be different methods to accomplish tethering. Some things I have read seem to indicate that a combination of patches/software are required and work in tandem.
    I am trying to educate myself in preparation of purchasing my first smart phone.
    If I get a device using Webos 2.0. ..., can I tether using FreeTether by itself? Tethering is high on the list of functions I need. I read about retrieving IPK files, using webosqi, Preware, etc etc.
    Pleas help a newbie out.
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." - Thoreau
    I am very excited about this app, I was sorely missing my mobile hotspot with my verizon pre plus. Will donate ASAP!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Different Drummer View Post
    I have been following all the threads on tethering. There are some things that confuse me.
    There seems to be different methods to accomplish tethering. Some things I have read seem to indicate that a combination of patches/software are required and work in tandem.
    I am trying to educate myself in preparation of purchasing my first smart phone.
    If I get a device using Webos 2.0. ..., can I tether using FreeTether by itself? Tethering is high on the list of functions I need. I read about retrieving IPK files, using webosqi, Preware, etc etc.
    Pleas help a newbie out.
    There is, at this time, no tethering solution for the pre2 on domestic (stateside) versions. Some 'accross the pond' users have been successful with the older mobile hot spot. It is, on the other hand, apparently, just around the corner. Previous versions of the OS had a couple choices on methods. It would appear, although not quite available yet, that the changes required by the new OS version have been resolved by minds superior to my own and should be available shortly.

A donation in favor of the effort certainly could not hurt
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Different Drummer View Post
    Pleas help a newbie out.
    RE: If I get a device using Webos 2.0. ..., can I tether using FreeTether by itself? Yes

Remember to Donate here!

Thanks,
    TTB

freeTether information:
    http://git.webos-internals.org/?p=ap....git;a=summary
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 01/01/2011 at 04:25 PM.
    Last I read a release was expected on Friday. Any update on this? I'm game as long as its not "the coming months" heh.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Klownicle View Post
    Last I read a release was expected on Friday. Any update on this? I'm game as long as its not "the coming months" heh.
    It won't be months. More like hours or days. Ryan and Eric are working night and day fine tuning it to get rid of a few bugs.

When it is available, you'll definately hear about it first here on PreCentral.net and on twitter!

Remember to Donate here!

Thanks,
    TTB
    Barry, You forgot to mention something that a lot of people who have been following these threads already know but some might not. YOU have spent a lot of time and energy reading code and experimenting on the older solutions to get something working on our webOS 2.0 devices. I have no doubts that if webOS Internals had not had the time to complete this (they stay very, very busy) you would have found a solution for us. I just wanted to publicly say Thank You for the work you have done.
    ~Jhoove09
    Sprint|Palm Pre
    AT&T|Palm Pre 2
    Quit trolling and go buy an Android.
    My Twitter Account
    My Themes

Feel free to AIM or SKYPE me.
    freeTether is expected to be available in the regular webos-internals feed, not testing one.
    Last edited by kbywal; 01/01/2011 at 04:50 PM.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by kbywal View Post
    freeTether is expected to be available in the regular webos-internals feed, not testing one.
    That information may or may not be correct. The version number was downgraded late last night in case they need to add it to the testing feed first (currently it's listed as "version": "0.99.0",). Stay tuned for an update whenever Ryan or Eric decide to take a break!

Quote Originally Posted by jhoove09 View Post
    Barry, You forgot to mention something that a lot of people who have been following these threads already know but some might not. YOU have spent a lot of time and energy reading code and experimenting on the older solutions to get something working on our webOS 2.0 devices. I have no doubts that if webOS Internals had not had the time to complete this (they stay very, very busy) you would have found a solution for us. I just wanted to publicly say Thank You for the work you have done.
    No thanks necessary, but it's appreciated. Thank you!

After several unsuccessful attempts to add luna services 2 (ls2) to Ryan's original freeTether service/daemon, it became clear my skill set in the development arena wasn't strong enough to handle this large of a task. Adding ls2 to the existing freeTether service/daemon wasn't the answer. I was attempting to create a patch by hacking other services already running on webOS 2.

Since Ryan created the original freeTether for webOS, we're fortunate he and Eric, along with webOS Internals decided to rewrite freeTether. Otherwise, a few of us would most likely still be trying to hack together a half-ast solution that'd end up broken after every webOS update.

Remember to Donate here!

Thanks,
    TTB
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 01/01/2011 at 05:56 PM. Reason: added current version number.
    So, after downloading the latest 'master', I tried:

palm-generate...
    palm-install...

FreeTether appears to install properly and can be launched like any other app. But it doesn't seem to work. The toggles for bluetooth, wifi, or USB don't seem to do anything. Moreover, their state is lost when I close the app and bring relaunch it.

Am I missing something? Do I need an newer SDK (currently running 1.4.5)? Has anyone got a compiled working version that I could try? Anybody interested in trying my compiled version to see if it works for them?
    Quote Originally Posted by pointy View Post
    I seem to remember Palm putting up a big stink about the original freetether being released/discussed on PreCentral. After that, all threads were closed and attachments were deleted from P|C forums. Did that go away now?
    They never had a problem with freetether.

They did, however, have a problem with the illegally hosted copies of Mobile Hotspot, as that is Palm's copyrighted material and it contains their intellectual property. Copyright infringement is serious and Palm doesn't go light with it.

Also, they did have a problem with MyTether, an app that caused more trouble than it was worth. The reason Palm had a problem with it is that the developer was selling it outside of the App Catalog (not that it would ever be in the Catalog, but selling outside of the Catalog is not permitted).
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by ashkon View Post
    So, after downloading the latest 'master', I tried:

palm-generate...
    palm-install...

FreeTether appears to install properly and can be launched like any other app. But it doesn't seem to work. The toggles for bluetooth, wifi, or USB don't seem to do anything. Moreover, their state is lost when I close the app and bring relaunch it.

Am I missing something? Do I need an newer SDK (currently running 1.4.5)? Has anyone got a compiled working version that I could try? Anybody interested in trying my compiled version to see if it works for them?
    I got it working for a single client connection using wi-fi, but i did so many different things including hard coding the ip then trying dhcp then a dozen other tricks that I cant remember what worked, what didnt work and what fouled things up.

This was last Friday. theyve made many fixes since then.

btw I used the latest 2.x SDK.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    I got it working for a single client connection using wi-fi, but i did so many different things including hard coding the ip then trying dhcp then a dozen other tricks that I cant remember what worked, what didnt work and what fouled things up.

Are you in the Early Access Program? Is there another way to get the 2.0 SDK?

Yeah, lots changed since Firday. And somethings just got checked in 10 minutes ago. Let me know if you recompile and are willing to share the IPK.
    Last edited by ashkon; 01/03/2011 at 03:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ashkon View Post
    Are you in the Early Access Program? Is there another way to get the 2.0 SDK?

Yeah, lots changed since Firday. And somethings just got checked in 10 minutes ago. Let me know if you recompile and are willing to share the IPK.
    Or we could all just wait like good little boys and girls by not causing more pain for the developers by having a source code compiled unfinished version floating around...

I would just wait the end result will be much more enjoyable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Klownicle View Post
    Or we could all just wait like good little boys and girls by not causing more pain for the developers by having a source code compiled unfinished version floating around...

I would just wait the end result will be much more enjoyable.
    Hm... advocating patience? I suppose we could do such a thing.

Of course, I'm more interested to understand why my version isn't working. There are a few variables involved:
    1) My phone was first activated in Costa Rica (ISP is ICE and allows tethering)
    2) I'm trying to package the IPK using SDK 1.4.5

Anyway, I wasn't planning on publishing the IPK... I just wanted something that would help me eliminate some of my variables.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post

This is great news....a few questions. This WILL work for 1.4.5 on a Sprint Pre? I have been very lucky in that I actually have had My Tether working for some time. Can both apps be on the device at once without messing things up? (obviously they couldn't both run at the same time). Lastly, when released will this be a stand-alone app or will it require another coexisting app? Thanks.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast