Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    does anyone know if it's even possible to create an app for the pre 2 to open garage doors? A quick search revealed some discussion of this with palm's treo models but nothing for the pre 2.
    Would you like to open the garage doors in just your neighborhood or those in neighboring cities?
    trekker r u serious ?? lol
    Quote Originally Posted by gbafam View Post
    does anyone know if it's even possible to create an app for the pre 2 to open garage doors? A quick search revealed some discussion of this with palm's treo models but nothing for the pre 2.
    I really don't think this is possible...
    I'd be content if they put a bottle opener on the next Pre!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    the treo series had an IR sensor/transmitter that allowed users to control even there televisions with the device, but sice the pre/pixi don't have any IR capabilities, I don't think it's going to happen, unless there is some bluetooth solution?
    I don't think garage door opened use an IR receiver to operate.
    good point
    I think if you could dedicate another computer/controller to open the door, you could write an app on your phone to talk to it and open the door when your GPS tells it you are nearby. (That would be cool!)
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    A garage door opener...that'd be pretty cool, but I still want that side corkscrew to be added first!
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by iFreDDyz View Post
    trekker r u serious ?? lol
    I forgot to add the smiley.
    some more realistic answer (I hope):
    - you need two relais where each controls the "door open" string and one the "door close" string
    - a microcontroller
    ... Path 1 ...
    - a bluetooth module supporting SPP
    - a phone supporting BT-SPP
    - an app providing 4 buttons (connect, open, close, disconnect)
    ... or path 2 ...
    - wireless access point (OpenWRT-capable)
    - write a program on it, which sets or resets two GPIOs depending on allowed clients' availability
    - the relais from path 1
    Quote Originally Posted by tino103870 View Post
    - you need two relais where each controls the "door open" string and one the "door close" string
    - a microcontroller
    ... Path 1 ...
    ... or path 2 ...
    - write a program on it, which sets or resets two GPIOs depending on allowed clients' availability
    - the relais from path 1
    Wouldn't it be easier just to use a garage door opener?
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

I saw where someone created a program that controlled their garage but their garage had some type of computer and internet connection it was on one of those wired shows.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    I saw where someone created a program that controlled their garage but their garage had some type of computer and internet connection it was on one of those wired shows.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Sounds like something I would love.
    ~Jhoove09
    Sprint|Palm Pre
    AT&T|Palm Pre 2
    Quit trolling and go buy an Android.
    My Twitter Account
    My Themes

Feel free to AIM or SKYPE me.
    Quote Originally Posted by tino103870 View Post
    - a microcontroller
    ... Path 1 ...
    ... or path 2 ...
    - the relais from path 1
    Getting a blurtooth module would be cheaper ... It won't be a hardwork to hook the module to a uController.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I don't think garage door opened use an IR receiver to operate.
    Yeah, most garage door openers use Radio Frequencies to operate.
    What you need is a set of Lego Minstorms and an old computer. You could use the Mindstorms to make a little robotic arm mounted on a shelf next to your garage door button. The old computer to send the command to the arm to move and press down on the button... and a little app on your Pre to activate that app on the computer. Simple (for someone with a lot of time, some money, and a LOT of motivation). LOL
    is it just me or are the solutions for this way more complicated than just hitting a button on our visors? I would not want to have to open an app or... Go to school for 4 years to learn the software that makes it work. The link above shows how cool it can be but also how complicated it can get. I'd love the feature but it would have to make my life simple and easy, not more complicated.