Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I agree. Its not about aesthetics, it's about usability
  2. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    He said its no longer easily patchable. He hasn't yet figured out a way to do so. From what he said, it sounds like he's pretty much given up on it for now.
    Well, here's a few of sconix's quotes directly from that thread:

Quote Originally Posted by sconix View Post
    If you mean that you would like to move all the apps from page to another then you kinda can do it already by moving the pages so that they are next to each other and then delete the latter page. The icons should get moved to the previous page if I remember correctly.

Other than that I don't plan to work on this patch anymore since in webOS 2.0 the launcher is not patcheable I have few tricks in my sleeve that I am trying for the launcher in 2.0.0, but so far those tricks haven't panned out, but I have had so little time to inspect them that there still might be some hope.
    I hope that Palm plans to make the launcher better although I can live with it, but I really would like to be able to set the grid size and show/hide/rename apps at least. Or they should just make it possible to easily replace the launcher...

No time for holiday yet Still have ACSP and MS and the 2.0 versions of them require lots of work (system menu patches are already done and release soon for 2.0). After ACSP and MS are ready then I keep small holiday, maybe...
    I kinda understand it in that sense that launcher is quite important part of the phone. So having it binary hence faster etc. makes at least bit sense. The only thing I really don't get and which makes it iphone like is that why the app launcher quick launch icon and the app launcher itself can not be replaced with another application. Anyway I really hope that they do something for the launcher at some point since at least now it really pales in comparison to app launchers in other platforms. But its really hard to complain very strongly about this since there is still so much that can be patched and now with webOS 2.0 even more thanks to the JSJSJS $based$ $services$.

Actually one of those ideas that I had was to make patch that makes replacing the launcher possible, but there is a problem that haven't figured out a way how to allow editing of quick launch from any other than the native launcher. Anyway when I have time I will play with this idea a bit more.
    Well hiding of QL is not needed since it is not anymore visible in launcher, and pages can be renamed and ordered so its not all bad news. The biggest loss is not being able to set the icon/grid size and not able to hide/show/rename apps. Theming of the launcher is still possible as well.

Although renaming/hiding might be possible I will try that at some point when I have time. One idea that I had was to replace the launcher but since there are no more hooks to show the QL it would not be possible to move stuff from launcher to QL and other way round so I am not happy to working on some "hackis" or not fully working solution.
    Sounds to me like it's a bit more of an issue than "not easily patchable".
    as I said, more time will be spent on it once its all generally available. Who knows, palm might make the icon grid size a preference you can set. I think they'd be crazy not to... But that's easy for me to say since I'm not a developer.

stay tuned and be patient. I want higher density too, and we will know more when everything is released to all of us.
  4. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Well, for the time being, my phone rocks. It's just the way I want it (minus a few apps that other platforms have), so I'll cross (or burn) the 2.0 bridge when we get there.

One other point: With 3x4 icons, it looks like a Vtech when viewed next to an iPhone. We need webOS to have some curb appeal if it's going to compete.

I am really looking forward to Feb 9th to see what HP has up it's sleeve.
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    All this arguing about 4x4 or 4x3 is funny when obviously Lite List Launcher is the superior way to go :P
  6. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Linger View Post
    All this arguing about 4x4 or 4x3 is funny when obviously Lite List Launcher is the superior way to go :P
    Excellent point. I do not care for the list view at all. The "superior way to go" is for each user to be able to use the option that works for them. I want lots of icons, you want a list.

BTW, if patching the launcher is restricted in 2.0, Lite List Launcher is not likely to work, either.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudland View Post
    All patches are open source...correct? Which means anyone with the knowledge can edit them to work with 2.0 I believe.
    That's right. And I wouldn't worry about patch devs leaving. Once webOS 2 is widely available, a new crop of patchers will appear to take their places.
    I just want Jason's improved photo naming patch.
    Don't see why Palm couldn't address a need for different naming options, with SO MANY PEOPLE having to backup everything regularly and redoctor.
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    2. Ios uses 4x4 webOS uses 3x4 I like the difference
    Would it not be better, if Palm made it so more people's preferences could be accounted for rather than just yours?

3. How and where my icons are don't matter to me thanks to just type!
    I for one am praying for a way to remove the ugly 'just type' bar. Why in the world do we need to see it all the time and why Palm cannot provide a simple option to hide it is totally beyond me.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Quote Originally Posted by GHT View Post
    Perhaps what I find most frustrating about it is the Apple-esqueness of it. "We'll decide how many icons you get, and you'll like it." Why on Earth couldn't HP/Palm just let users decide how they want their phone to look/operate? Seriously, sconix did it with a patch! Why couldn't webOS just include this customization if they were removing the ability to patch the launcher?

I guess what it comes down to is that I would have already been gone if it weren't for homebrew patches and applications. The ability for me to customize my Pre to operate the way that makes the most sense for me was the most amazing part of webOS. If that ability erodes, so will my enthusiasm for this OS.
    +1. Seems like Palm is thinking they need to be more like Apple to succeed. What they do not realize is that a lot of us are loyal to Palm only because they are not like Apple. The greatest strength of webOS is the flexibility and configurability that it allows the user. You take that away and suddenly the competition actually starts looking much better.

Quote Originally Posted by GHT View Post
    Another question: If we do see a 4"/4.3"/5" screen on a webOS phone, won't 3x4 icons look ridiculous on a screen that size? (They look ridiculous to me on our current 3" screen.)
    Very valid point. The 3x4 icons even on the existing screen size looks rather poor and it most certainly will look atrocious on a larger screen.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    I'm a new dev' and I have yet to delve into 2.0 SDK. But I am in agreement that it should be our choice... Zlauncher anyone??? With Zlauncher, I could pick my own #x# icons, or list view with custom fonts and colors, and theme it up with icon sets and backgrounds and all kinds of things.

BTW, I am willing to take on some of the patches that are still needed but no longer have a dev' behind them...
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
    zlauncher had veryu poor graphics lol nothing like the webOS at all !!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    zlauncher had veryu poor graphics lol nothing like the webOS at all !!!
    poor graphics compared to?

Besides, my point was that it gave us options. Options is what many of us want in WebOS' launcher. That's all.
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
    Hi,

Will there be a patch to lock the screen when the keyboard is slided in ?
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    For me, being able to customize the launcher is one of the best things about webOS. To make it look and function how i like is essential. I couldn't stand how it looked originally. There's just no comparison. I have 4x4 icons, titles removed, hide quick launch in launcher, and glass effect. Tell me it's not sexy. The last pic makes me shudder

Sorry about the way the pics are posted here. I couldn't figure out how to do it all fancy like everyone else
    Last edited by gonk24; 01/20/2011 at 09:27 AM.
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    ...and I'm a fan of...

(i like to spell out words w/ icons) ;-/ weird, I know....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ToddK; 01/20/2011 at 10:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    they gotta find a way to update that launcher patch for 4x4 !!! they just gotta !! or ill have to tell them there devs at palm face to face to put it in the stinkin 2.x.x or something !!
    install the patch "advanced configuration for app launcher" it works for me (1.4.5). Sconix is one of the best homebrew developers.
    I dont want to let this go.

Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by capt4chris View Post
    install the patch "advanced configuration for app launcher" it works for me (1.4.5). Sconix is one of the best homebrew developers.

Launcher patching doesn't work for 2.x.x which is what this discussion is about
    Personally three things

1. I don't see a whole lot of extra space that is saved / added by going to 4x4 instead of 3x4
    I have 5x4 because I took the title off and hide the launcher, but that's the addition of what, 8 icons compared to webOS 2.0 with the titles on and QL removed. On default webOS 1.4.5, it's an addition of 11 icons.

Sconix gave us these patches with extreme customization. Palm called itself incorporating two aspects of it and took away the customization. Pitiful.

2. Ios uses 4x4 webOS uses 3x4 I like the difference
    WHO CARES???!!!??? All I'm reading is "iOS uses 4x4, so I'm gonna gimp my phone and make it look like a toy phone by using 3x4 with icons too huge for the Pre's tiny screen."

3. How and where my icons are don't matter to me thanks to just type!
    Well if that's the case, why add more than 3 pages? Why add the headers? Who needs headers and pages when you can just type? Let's just throw all the icons on one page without headers and be done with it.
    Last edited by malpha; 01/22/2011 at 12:28 PM.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast