Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    ....seeing new carriers up in the corner left of the Pre 2's screen in photos.

Seeing T-Mobile etc... carriers that dont offer a WebOS phone makes me giddy.

I dont know why, I just think its neat that the phone is unlocked and can be used on any network, like the way it should be.
    Your crazy man,

Sent using taptalk.
  4.    #4  
    Actually I have a question: how many people on here bought an unlocked Pre 2 specifically to use it on their network of choice, that doesnt offer a Palm device normally?

Please say what network, and if you had been waiting a while for an unlocked Palm device.

Just curious how many people went the unlocked route simply because they couldnt get a Palm phone in their area/on their network through a contract.
    it's actually kind of lame because the current "unlocked" Pre 2 will only work "well" on at&t. Doesn't work on sprint, verizon, or us cellular, and it will work on T-mobile but will not be able to use 3g data...so as far as it being "unlocked" and used for different networks in the U.S., not really. Really sucks for us sprint folks :/

ken
  6.    #6  
    Ken, that is not HP/Palms fault. They would LOVE to sell you an unlocked CDMA Pre 2 for Sprint.

The CDMA technology allows any phone with the right CDMA radio in it to be added to a carrier. Its the carriers decision whether they want to allow third party phones on their system, or only the phones they choose to sell.

Sprint has decided to lock down their network so that you can only use their phones.

My suggestion if you think it really, really sucks is to switch providers.

Sure you save money on Sprint, but I always thought America's favourite saying was "The Land Of the Free"?
    Quote Originally Posted by bakerman1 View Post
    it's actually kind of lame because the current "unlocked" Pre 2 will only work "well" on at&t. Doesn't work on sprint, verizon, or us cellular, and it will work on T-mobile but will not be able to use 3g data...so as far as it being "unlocked" and used for different networks in the U.S., not really. Really sucks for us sprint folks :/

ken
    Then make your own Sprint Pre 2. It isn't that hard and there are a few who have been successful, you just need to follow the instructions and ask questions of the ones who have been successful.

But if you aren't careful and break one or both or don't follow the instructions you could be left without a working phone at all.

So decide your level of investment, your ability to follow instructions and mechanical aptitude then make your decision.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    I understand the ability to switch and also the fact that sprint has locked down there network. The OP asked the question, "who bought the pre 2 to be used on other networks because it's "unlocked"? The point I was trying to make is that in it's current state it only really works on one network, at&t...i have thought about plus'ing my pre but the fact is I have replaced my pre 7 times since day 1 (jun 09) so I don't want to have to switch things back and forth to be able to exchange my pre minus...also I don't feel like forking out almost $500 for a pre 2 just to tear it apart and have it work on sprint "kind of". From my understanding they haven't got everything working. So that's my thoughts

Ken

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I bought mine specifically for use out here in Afghanistan. It works quite well, although I am still getting used to the reduced battery life of Linux-based devices when compared to BlackBerry, which was my device of choice when I lived in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
    I bought mine specifically for use out here in Afghanistan. It works quite well, although I am still getting used to the reduced battery life of Linux-based devices when compared to BlackBerry, which was my device of choice when I lived in the US.
    How much battery life are you getting?
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    How much battery life are you getting?
    On WiFi and GPRS here in Afghanistan, doing e-mail and Facebook, I have about 25% left after 12 hours. I experienced only slightly better on my HTC Legend with Android 2.2, and I expect that neither one of them will give me more than 6-8 hours of the same usage when I visit Dubai next and have 3G. My last BlackBerry, the 9700, would give me 4-5 days here in Afghanistan on GPRS only, 2-3 with WiFi and GPRS on, and 1-2 in 3G coverage in Dubai, Europe, and the US.
    Quote Originally Posted by bakerman1 View Post
    From my understanding they haven't got everything working. So that's my thoughts

Ken
    Your understanding would be innaccurate. Mine works fine and I have made what I did available to anyone else who wants to try and offered my assistance.

Complaining that you have no options is one thing. Complaining because you don't like those options is another thing completely.

Hopefully soon it will be inexpensive and effortless to have a nextgen webOS device on Sprint. But for now, it isn't.
    I'm glad to see that it's working just about as well as I thought it would with AWCC since that's who I plan to use for my Pre 2 for will post more when I get photos.
    Not complaining just stating a fact, like I said I wasn't sure if everything was working on sprint. Glad to hear that it is .

Ken

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Sure you save money on Sprint, but I always thought America's favourite saying was "The Land Of the Free"?
    It is the land of the free (for the most part); and that includes businesses. Sprint is free to run their business, and choose how they enable phones.

Of course, the consumer is free to take their business elsewhere if they choose to.
    I don't think linux is the problem here, it's just that the linux-based phones (Android, webOS) mostly come with touchscreen, etc. that drain battery life more than what Blackberry has.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    I don't think linux is the problem here, it's just that the linux-based phones (Android, webOS) mostly come with touchscreen, etc. that drain battery life more than what Blackberry has.
    Very true, although they do tend to manage their power differently than BlackBerry.
    On WiFi and GPRS here in Afghanistan, doing e-mail and Facebook, I have about 25% left after 12 hours. I experienced only slightly better on my HTC Legend with Android 2.2, and I expect that neither one of them will give me more than 6-8 hours of the same usage when I visit Dubai next and have 3G. My last BlackBerry, the 9700, would give me 4-5 days here in Afghanistan on GPRS only, 2-3 with WiFi and GPRS on, and 1-2 in 3G coverage in Dubai, Europe, and the US.
    Did you have any issues setting up the AWCC internet with the Palm Pre 2? I just got my device in today and just bought a sim and the internet plan. The gentleman at the store said that it would take about 24 hours to activate. I'll post some more then.
    Quote Originally Posted by gladesmellzgood View Post
    Did you have any issues setting up the AWCC internet with the Palm Pre 2? I just got my device in today and just bought a sim and the internet plan. The gentleman at the store said that it would take about 24 hours to activate. I'll post some more then.
    No problem at all. It does take about 24 hours.

All you will need to do is go into Phone Preferences and manually set the APN to "internet". The phone will tell you the settings are invalid, but tap the button that says "Change Anyway" and you should be good to rock.

If you can't get a Palm Profile created, let me know, and I'll direct you to the quickest way to get it done. It was an arduous process for me, but the devs have been more than helpful to get things working for the Pre 2.
  20.    #20  
    dont want to get off topic here, i mean I am the OP, but the reasons blackberries last longer are as follows:

1) Slightly bigger batteries
    2) The OS is very lean and minimal

and something webOS could truly benefit from:

3) Push notifications from Blackberries servers.

The constant polling of backups, Synergy and other apps is not helping webOS's battery life at all.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast