Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    I don't think linux is the problem here, it's just that the linux-based phones (Android, webOS) mostly come with touchscreen, etc. that drain battery life more than what Blackberry has.
    It isn't so much that, it is mostly the following:

webOS - the fact that webOS does real multitasking kills the battery.. that, and the memory leaks and the fact that some things are done in HTML/JSJSJS/$CSS$ $that$ $could$ $be$ $done$ $in$ $C$/$C$++ $with$ $better$ $results$ ($i$.$e$. $the$ $Launcher$ $in$ $2$.$0$ $is$ $C$/$C$++)

Android - the fact it is very Java based (apps, system, etc.) uses a bit of battery life, and just overall the OS is a bit bloated
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    dont want to get off topic here, i mean I am the OP, but the reasons blackberries last longer are as follows:

1) Slightly bigger batteries
    2) The OS is very lean and minimal

and something webOS could truly benefit from:

3) Push notifications from Blackberries servers.

The constant polling of backups, Synergy and other apps is not helping webOS's battery life at all.
    I believe my 9700 battery has the same exact mAh as my Pre 2 and my HTC Legend, but you're right about the difference between push and pull notifications. FWIW, though, I used my Legend yesterday just to get a comparison, and with the same usage as the day before with my Pre 2, my Legend had 89% left at 1900 last night. I'm at 72% on the Pre 2 today at 1230.

Bottom line, the devices just do things differently, and it has to be accepted.
    Quote Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
    No problem at all. It does take about 24 hours.

All you will need to do is go into Phone Preferences and manually set the APN to "internet". The phone will tell you the settings are invalid, but tap the button that says "Change Anyway" and you should be good to rock.

If you can't get a Palm Profile created, let me know, and I'll direct you to the quickest way to get it done. It was an arduous process for me, but the devs have been more than helpful to get things working for the Pre 2.
    Thanks a lot. I'm up and running now!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gladesmellzgood View Post
    Thanks a lot. I'm up and running now!
    Excellent! How is your service up at JBAD? Do the towers shut off at night? Mine is fairly unreliable on the data side here in E. Paktika, but it improves when at Sharana and Bagram. Of course, I only go to those places when I go on leave though...
    Quote Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
    Excellent! How is your service up at JBAD? Do the towers shut off at night? Mine is fairly unreliable on the data side here in E. Paktika, but it improves when at Sharana and Bagram. Of course, I only go to those places when I go on leave though...
    The towers are up and running all the time here. Surprisingly the edge data here is pretty damn good. I get just about what I would get in the states here. Overall I'm pretty impressed with the overall quality of the network.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by gladesmellzgood View Post
    The towers are up and running all the time here. Surprisingly the edge data here is pretty damn good. I get just about what I would get in the states here. Overall I'm pretty impressed with the overall quality of the network.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    That's good... It's usually decent in BAF, but at Sharana, all networks shut their towers off at 1900 on the dot, which really sucks when you're there transient.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12