1.    #1  
    are there any browser improvements between webos 1.4.5 and 2.0??
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    very good question I heard that the acid3 test stayed the same...
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    Flash support? Which is a bit useless to be honest. I'm still waiting for browser patches (e.g. scroll bar, send to spare time, stop unloading webpages in background etc) to be ported to webOS 2.0.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linger View Post
    Flash support? Which is a bit useless to be honest. I'm still waiting for browser patches (e.g. scroll bar, send to spare time, stop unloading webpages in background etc) to be ported to webOS 2.0.
    Re: Flash support ..

Orb changed their model to financially based and started selling Fruitphone and Android Apps
    Their previous donation based model changed so that everyone else (non Fruitphone, non- Android platforms, ie webOS) had to have Flash in order to stream their live TV.
    I was stuck without orb streaming of my Television and cable channels until the Pre 2 and Flash arrived.

Orb streaming works fantastic on my Pre 2 using Flash.

Flash support - You say useless. I disagree! My Pre 2 would be less than useful without it.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Re: Flash support ..

Orb changed their model to financially based and started selling Fruitphone and Android Apps
    Their previous donation based model changed so that everyone else (non Fruitphone, non- Android platforms, ie webOS) had to have Flash in order to stream their live TV.
    I was stuck without orb streaming of my Television and cable channels until the Pre 2 and Flash arrived.

Orb streaming works fantastic on my Pre 2 using Flash.

Flash support - You say useless. I disagree! My Pre 2 would be less than useful without it.
    Thanks for the tip. Flash has been useless to me so far because I can't get flash videos to play properly. The audio is out of sync and the video is unwatchable.
    It's kinda a tease to use flash just for vid sites for most of them now have blocks setup from devices using mobile flash. But lately flash is only good for vids, facebook games, or adds and 2 of those are intentionally blocked by the source.

WAIT a tic, you can now watch the palmcast LIVE on you webos device! SCORE!

Besides flash, I do notice it is much better at rendering sites while on 1.4.5 some content can lock up the device for a moment to process or that excessive need for the web app in 1.4.5 to refresh the page randomly or any time it was in card view.. I don't get that at all on my Pre2.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    I can't say whether the improvements I see in the browser aren't just because the pre2 has a faster processor. I haven't overclocked my pre plus (and don't plan to). I do feel like the rendering is faster. I say "feel" since I haven't timed anything. It does seem that using the web is less painful... Other than that I haven't noticed any new features or anything.
    Original science fiction, fantasy and comics for WebOS - Galactic Beacon: Volume 1
    Even when my Pre is overclocked at 1.3ghz, the Pre at 1ghz does it better.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I compared my friend's BB Torch and my PP2's browser to a none-of-us-had-visited website and BB's WEBkit browser win my PP2 hands down. A good 10 secs. Is the PP2 also using webkit's browser rendering?
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vanngoh View Post
    I compared my friend's BB Torch and my PP2's browser to a none-of-us-had-visited website and BB's WEBkit browser win my PP2 hands down. A good 10 secs. Is the PP2 also using webkit's browser rendering?
    That's not a very scientific test though. They are both using webkit but there is no unified webkit on mobile:
    Currently I rate four mobile browsers as “Excellent,” my highest rating:
    1. Safari for iOS—the best mobile browser overall,
    2. Android WebKit,
    3. Dolfin for Samsung bada—by far the fastest mobile browser, and
    4. BlackBerry WebKit, the new default browser for OS6 and higher. (Currently only available on the BlackBerry Torch.)

All four browsers support touch events, which are absolutely crucial to any seamless touchscreen-based interface. Also, they are all based on the WebKit rendering engine. Apple created it, and Google, Samsung, and RIM made it the starting point for their own browsers. (As did Nokia, Palm, and most recently LG.)

The Apple, Google, Samsung, and RIM default browsers form what I call the Excellent class. Below them is what I call the Good class: this includes Opera Mobile, Palm WebKit for webOS, and MicroB, the Gecko-based default browser for Nokia’s Maemo OS, which will soon be replaced by MeeGo.

These browsers do not support touch events, and zooming varies in each implementation. From a pure CSS and JavaScript point of view however, you’ll encounter few problems.
    I haven't seen any user-facing changes to the webOS 2.0 browser although I'd like to imagine that they put some fixes in the back end. I still get the grey space bug on the Pre2
    Just optimizations done and oh yeah FLASH if you call that a new feature
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....