1.    #1  
    Hi, iam owning a blackberry bold for 2 years but im very much interested in WebOS mobile especially palm pre 2 . So i am planing to buy a unlocked palm pre 2 in US thorough my friend and i want to use it in INDIA. Please clarify my following quesitons

1) Can it be worked with vodafone or airtel which i need facilities like PUSH email and gtalk and other social chatting
    2) Heard it should be registered in US itself , so that i can access to download the free and paid apps?
    3) Will it work for 3G network in INDIA?

Simply what are all the disadvantages of using palm pre 2 in INDIA?

i am much concerned about push email and other useful in built apps ( if any)...
    There are absolutely no disadvantages to using the Pre 2 in India. Other than the fact that if you get the US version of the phone, 3G data will not work in India and you will have to make do with just EDGE/GPRS. Ofcourse you could get the Palm Pre 2 from Europe, which will be more expensive, but then even 3G will be compatible with the 3G band (2100) in use in India.

PS: There is no problem in using the Pre 2 with either Vodafone or Airtel.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for your reply... and any reason why US version does not work for 3G in india?
    Do vodafone have data plan like blackberry for push email and internet access?

How about the availability of service centers in india for palm an case of any issues with my mobile?

Heard it should be registered in US itself if i buy there, so that i can access to download the free and paid apps?
    Quote Originally Posted by jeyaprasanna View Post
    Thanks for your reply... and any reason why US version does not work for 3G in india?

How about the availability of service centers in india for palm an case of any issues with my mobile?

Heard it should be registered in US itself if i buy there, so that i can access to download the free and paid apps?
    North American 3G bands are not the same as the rest of the world. When you buy the US Palm Pre 2, it's unlocked BUT it is designed for use in North America. If you are just visiting India then go for the US Pre2 and remember you got WiFi If you live India then do get the Euro Pre2 but make sure for either phone to first have them activated there BEFORE using it India to get access to the app catalog.

Check this post out for great details on this subject clicky
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
  5.    #5  
    So basically if i am not concerned about 3G , i can very well buy palm pre 2 in US activate there itself, and start using through EDGE / GPRS in india?

if so how push mail works ? should my service provider facilitate the same through any data plan?

- JP
    India uses the UMTS 2100 band, whereas the US Palm Pre, Pre+ & Pre2 supports only UMTS 1900/850 bands since they are the bands used by AT&T in the US.

You may have noticed in my signature that I use the 'Mobile Connect' data plan on Vodafone and have full Internet access on my US (AT&T) Palm Pre+. As for push mail, there is no need to pay the phoen company anything extra for this. Hotmail, Google & Yahoo all provide absolutely free, push mail. In case you need to push email from your own personal mail servers, all you have to do is forward the mail from your mail server to either Hotmail or Google.

There is a company in Delhi atleast that has in the past distributed Palm phones and they also provide service for Palm phones.

I believe access to the 'app store' atleast the free apps has now been opened to many countries that previously did not have it. Since I already have access to the US app store, i cannot confirm whether the free apps are now accessible in India or not. You are right though, that if you were to get the phone first time activated/create profile in the US, then you would always have access to the US app store, for both free and paid apps.

So basically if i am not concerned about 3G , i can very well buy palm pre 2 in US activate there itself, and start using through EDGE / GPRS in india?
    Quite right, if you are not concerned with 3G compatibility, then simply buy the unlocked Palm Pre 2 from HP, have it activated/create profile in the US and you will be all set to use the phone in India for voice and data. Voice is confirmed for all GSM netrworks in India, but for data I can only confirm that it will work with Vodafone and Airtel and ofcourse that too only on EDGE/GPRS.

if so how push mail works ? should my service provider facilitate the same through any data plan?
    You do not need any special service form the phone company for 'push mail'. Simply use the free services of Hotmail, Google or Yahoo.

PS: With Vodafone, only their 'Mobile Connect' data plan works with the Palm Pre/Pre+/Pre2. The 'Vodafone Live' data plan does not work.

I have a stock of Palm Pre2's which are pre-activated in the UK, which gives you access to paid apps in the app catalog. The Units are EU-GSM's so they are compatible with India's 3G system. See my footer for details.
    Life moves fast, don't miss a thing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    PS: With Vodafone, only their 'Mobile Connect' data plan works with the Palm Pre/Pre+/Pre2. The 'Vodafone Live' data plan does not work.
    The Vodafone Live data plan works just fine, if you put the APN live.vodafone.com in the preferences manually. At least, here in the Netherlands, it works....
    Life moves fast, don't miss a thing!
  10.    #10  
    unfortunately im not able to view the link in your signature... is there any way i can see the link?
    unfortunately im not able to view the link in your signature... is there any way i can see the link?
    Yes, post 10 meaningful messages (no spamming) or PM Richard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    There are absolutely no disadvantages to using the Pre 2 in India. Other than the fact that if you get the US version of the phone, 3G data will not work in India and you will have to make do with just EDGE/GPRS. Ofcourse you could get the Palm Pre 2 from Europe, which will be more expensive, but then even 3G will be compatible with the 3G band (2100) in use in India.

PS: There is no problem in using the Pre 2 with either Vodafone or Airtel.
    Very disappointing for me to know that probably 3G will also not work on Airtel India on my Palm Pixi Plus recently bought from USA. In fact till today I was trying to workout with Airtel Customer Care to get 3G working.