Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    I've just taken delivery of a Pre 2 and want to check whether it runs on UMTS 850 or 900. I've looked in Device Info and Phone preferences but the closest I could find was network auto-select or manual. When I go on the internet the icon in the taskbar changes from signal bars to 3G, but I would have thought I'd be able to find out somewhere what frequencies my device can actually operate on.

Thanks in advance.

Greg
    Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    I've just taken delivery of a Pre 2 and want to check whether it runs on UMTS 850 or 900. I've looked in Device Info and Phone preferences but the closest I could find was network auto-select or manual. When I go on the internet the icon in the taskbar changes from signal bars to 3G, but I would have thought I'd be able to find out somewhere what frequencies my device can actually operate on.

Thanks in advance.

Greg
    Check on the box (such as the HP label). Is the "Palm PN" listed as "1075NA-UMTS" or "1075EU-UMTS?"

If it is 1075NA-UMTS, it runs on 850/1900
    If it is 1075EU-UMTS, it runs on 900/2100
    Last edited by Arthur Thornton; 12/22/2010 at 12:43 AM.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Cool thanks it's the NA version. If I didn't have the box though, is there something in the device itself that can tell me this or let me choose what frequencies it uses?
    Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    Cool thanks it's the NA version. If I didn't have the box though, is there something in the device itself that can tell me this or let me choose what frequencies it uses?
    You can't choose the frequencies it uses, as that's actually built into the modem (unfortunately), but you can check the device model number by going into the "Device Info" app and tapping on the "More Info" button towards the bottom.

On the scene that pops up, there will be a MODEL row, which will list either P102UNA or P102UEU. The UNA is UMTS-North America and the UEU is UMTS-European Union (and for that matter, ROW -- Rest of World)
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Yes I did check there, wasn't sure what the number meant, mine definitely is PN102UNA. My carrier was ROW which didn't mean anything to me (but thanks for explaining what that means).

Ta. Have an interesting few days ahead of me deciding whether to keep the Pre 2 or retain my Treo 750...