1.    #1  
    Hey guys just got a pre2, and was wondering what things I need to remember to do when swapping everything from my pre to the pre 2, and what is the best way of going about the transition.

Im sure replies to this will be helpful to many and not just me

Thanks guys
    It's not difficult. When you set up the Pre 2, just put in your Palm Profile information and your set. When you do this, your app icons will all end up on the first page of the launch in the Pre 2. I'm guessing this is due to the changes in the launcher itself on webOS 2.0. It's drastically better. You'll love it. Your profile will automatically sign out of your Pre. You'll have to restart and sign into a different profile if you want to keep it around to play with. I would recommend uninstalling any kernels or patches. You will lose Preware on your Sprint device when your signed out of your profile. It's not necessary but I always do, just in case. Good luck. You'll enjoy the 2.0 goodness.
    ~Jhoove09
    Sprint|Palm Pre
    AT&T|Palm Pre 2
    Quit trolling and go buy an Android.
    My Twitter Account
    My Themes

Feel free to AIM or SKYPE me.
    I am in the same boat? But I have not sprung and bought one yet?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoove09 View Post
    It's not difficult. When you set up the Pre 2, just put in your Palm Profile information and your set. When you do this, your app icons will all end up on the first page of the launch in the Pre 2. I'm guessing this is due to the changes in the launcher itself on webOS 2.0. It's drastically better. You'll love it. Your profile will automatically sign out of your Pre. You'll have to restart and sign into a different profile if you want to keep it around to play with. I would recommend uninstalling any kernels or patches. You will lose Preware on your Sprint device when your signed out of your profile. It's not necessary but I always do, just in case. Good luck. You'll enjoy the 2.0 goodness.
    Thats all good for app catalog apps, but for homebrew apps is the only option save/restore?
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    Thats all good for app catalog apps, but for homebrew apps is the only option save/restore?
    Yes, but keep in mind that not all homebrew or app catalog apps are fully compatible with 2.0.x yet.

What carrier are you on currently? This could have a major impact on the order of the steps you need to take.

EDIT: Just saw Manchester England....

Make sure, after you have everything you want backed up with Save/Restore that BEFORE you remove the SIM card from your current phone you go to Device Info, Reset Options and either do a full or apps and data erase. Then when it comes back up to the activation screen create a new profile on your old phone. That way when you remove the SIM to activate your Pre 2, you still have access to use the other Pre on wifi or like a PDA. You will be able to get updates and purchase apps from the app catalog, all over wifi on the old Pre.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    also keep in mind that apps that save data locally to your phone will need to be backed up

things like game saved files...

I think save/restore may do the same although I'm not sure if it's compatible with wOS 2.0
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by neville View Post
    also keep in mind that apps that save data locally to your phone will need to be backed up

things like game saved files...

I think save/restore may do the same although I'm not sure if it's compatible with wOS 2.0
    Save/Restore backs up a lot of games, though I don't know if it backs up all of the 3D games' save files. It does back up Angry Birds' save file, but I don't know about Angry Birds Seasons.

Also, it does indeed work on webOS 2.0.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    Save/Restore backs up a lot of games, though I don't know if it backs up all of the 3D games' save files. It does back up Angry Birds' save file, but I don't know about Angry Birds Seasons.

Also, it does indeed work on webOS 2.0.
    Save/Restore 1.2.6 in the testing feed supports Angry Birds Seasons, and many other 3D games (that is the main reason why I wrote it).

It can be easily extended to support new games with a 5-10 line script per new application - there are a number of developers/users who are submitting these scripts now.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    So if I didn't restore the original kernel or remove the patches, will those be installed on my Pre 2 along with my Palm Profile?
    Quote Originally Posted by Remedy1978 View Post
    So if I didn't restore the original kernel or remove the patches, will those be installed on my Pre 2 along with my Palm Profile?
    Palm stores no information about homebrew packages.

Use Preware's Saved Packages List and Save/Restore for that. Details are in the respective threads for those things (use search).

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    Hey guys just got a pre2, and was wondering what things I need to remember to do when swapping everything from my pre to the pre 2, and what is the best way of going about the transition.

Im sure replies to this will be helpful to many and not just me

Thanks guys
    If you use Classic and have critical data in it; be sure to save it someway or look into the instructions for getting PalmOS to work on the Pre2. Once you transfer your profile to WebOS2 there is no way to go back to 1.4.
    Hello. I am about to receive a pre 2 to replace my pre (the modem died). I have a question related to this thread, which is: in what order should I switch the following - (a) my palm profile and (b) the phone registered with the carrier (VZ wireless)?

In other words, do I need to change my profile over to the pre 2 before I switch the phone no. over, or should it be the other way 'round?

Or does it even matter?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aronius View Post
    Hello. I am about to receive a pre 2 to replace my pre (the modem died). I have a question related to this thread, which is: in what order should I switch the following - (a) my palm profile and (b) the phone registered with the carrier (VZ wireless)?

In other words, do I need to change my profile over to the pre 2 before I switch the phone no. over, or should it be the other way 'round?

Or does it even matter?
    The Palm Profile first... Or you won't get into anything else on the phone.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee