Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    WARNING: THESE INSTRUCTIONS HAVE BEEN SUPERSEDED. PLEASE FOLLOW THE LINK BELOW FOR UP-TO-DATE INSTRUCTIONS:

WebOS 2 Upgrade - WebOS Internals

WARNING!!!! WILL NOT WORK WITH OPENLY AVAILABLE MATERIAL AS OF RIGHT NOW, PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT WE'RE TALKING ABOUT...

Hello all,

As promised, It's time to give a detailed look at how you can have your Pre 2 running on Sprint.

PLEASE READ THE CAVEATS VERY CAREFULLY AND KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GETTING INTO BEFORE YOU BEGIN. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE/LOSS OF DATA YOU MAY INCUR.

This is not a very smooth transition, software-wise. It will leave a few things to be desired (i.e. some caveats). Here's what you are getting yourself into:

• You will be unable to use a stock Doctor on your device after this procedure. In other words, you will have to make a meta-doctor for every single update that comes to webOS.
    • OTA Updates will NOT work. As a matter of fact, may cause your device to stop working. Disable the update deamon! (Information will be provided below).
    • Your Palm Profile MAY or MAY NOT be able to be restored on your 2. This is an important one. Please be aware that if your Palm Profile does not work, you'll have to start a new one. WebOS Internals is working on figuring this part out. Your old profile will remain on Palm servers, it will just be inaccessible to yo until you use a "regular" device running 2.0.x.
    • All the other caveats that are generally inherited from the Sprint Pre Plus swap are also present here (i.e. warranty is voided, can't go to Sprint/Palm for help, etc.).

PLEASE make sure to read the above caveats and fully understand them before you move on.

At this point, I will assume that you know what you're getting into, so let's get this thing started.

Begin by reading and understanding what a Meta-Doctor is. You can find this information on the WebOS Internals wiki as well as the thread here by grndslm. If you can't make your own Meta-Doctor, then no one can help you. Asking someone else to make your Meta-Doctor to help you may or may not work since this is Palm proprietary code and modifying and distributing it is illegal. Request at your own risk privately, just don't ask for it here.

Here is what this guide will have you do:

SYNOPSIS:

We will first make a custom 2.0.1 Doctor with our old Sprint Pre's tokens inside. This Doctor will skip activation, First-Use (account creation), etc. This will only be for implanting the tokens, and then verifying that they worked. After this, we will make another doctor that will not skip anything and will go straight into creating a profile and having you start from scratch. Although you don't need to do two passes, I find that it helps solve problems with no data, no service, incorrect values, typos in the tokens, etc. etc. I STRONGLY suggest doing two Doctors, and having the token writing doctor skip all preliminary steps so you can go right into Device Info and check to see if it worked.

STEPS:

I will begin by assuming you have virtual box and ubuntu installed and running. If you don't, please read grndslm's post on how to get that set up.

1. Follow grndslm's post until step 9. As in, finish step 8 and then stop. At this point we will move on to the "Pre Plus on Sprint" post by livinofframen. PLEASE be aware of the fact that you will be using the 2.0.1 doctor and not the version that grndslm's post shows you. I normally do this manually instead of using linux command lines, so that is the way I will show:

Note: If you already have a "downloads" folder in your meta-doctor directory delete whatever is inside it, skip 1a and go straight to 1b.

1(a). Go into your meta-doctor directory by clicking on "Places" then "Home Folder " on the top menu bar in Ubuntu. This will open a visual file editor into your user directory. There you will see a few folders as well as the meta-doctor folder. Open the meta-doctor folder and make a new folder (right click, Create Folder). Name it "downloads" (without quotes).

1(b). Put the stock 2.0.1 doctor (for the unlocked GSM Pre 2) in this folder. Name the doctor:

Code:
    webosdoctorp102ueuna-wr-2.0.1.jar

CAUTION: The following instructions are very similar to livinofframen's post, however there are a few subtle differences. PLEASE beware that you follow this guide and not his if you are swapping to a 2.

2. Once you have the meta-doctor folder and you are ready to edit the makefile, enter this command:

Code:
    nano makefile
    (You can also, alternatively, double click on the makefile and use gedit if you are a visual person. :P)

Scroll down until you see this:

########################################
    ## START OF AREA FOR END USER CHANGES ##
    The following changes after this section are in bold:

# Uncomment the features that you wish to enable below:
    BYPASS_ACTIVATION = 1
    BYPASS_FIRST_USE_APP = 1
    ENABLE_DEVELOPER_MODE = 1

# AUTO_INSTALL_PREWARE = 1
    # ENABLE_TESTING_FEEDS = 1
    # INSTALL_SSH_AUTH_KEYS = 1
    # INSTALL_WIFI_PROFILES = 1
    # DISABLE_UPLOAD_DAEMON = 1
    # DISABLE_UPDATE_DAEMON = 1
    # DISABLE_MODEM_UPDATE = 1
    # ENABLE_USB_NETWORKING = 1
    REMOVE_CARRIER_CHECK = 1
    REMOVE_MODEL_CHECK = 1

# INCREASE_VAR_SPACE = 1
    # CHANGE_KEYBOARD_TYPE = z
    # ADD_EXT3FS_PARTITION = 2GB
    # ADD_EXTRA_CARRIERS = 1

# Select "pre", "preplus", "pixi", "pixiplus" or "pre2".
    DEVICE = pre2

# Select "wr", "sprint", "verizonwireless", "bellmo", "telcel" or "att".
    CARRIER = wr

######################################
    ## END OF AREA FOR END USER CHANGES ##
    That's it for the makefile, save and close it.

4. Now you're ready for the next step. Look at your terminal and make sure you are in the meta-doctor directory. If you aren't type:

Code:
    cd meta-doctor
    Note: If this doesn't work and you're not in the right directory, just type:

Code:
    cd /
    To go to the main folder, then as long as you're not running root, you will need to type:

Code:
    cd home/[YOUR USERNAME]/meta-doctor
    This will get you into your meta-doctor folder. If you are running root, I hope you don't need instructions on how to get to the meta-doctor folder. From here, type:

Code:
    make unpack patch
    This will unpack the stock 2.0.1 doctor from your downloads folder into its necessary components and patch it up to your specifications in the makefile.

If you get any errors, make sure you didn't delete too much from the makefile, and remembered to input the Device Type and Carrier Name into it too. If you are still getting an error, make sure you named the Doctor correctly. Check your downloads directory in "meta-doctor/downloads" and see if its named what it should be.

Now comes the token fun.

5. Use the visual file explorer (found from the top left menu in Ubuntu labeled "Places") and begin at your meta-doctor directory. Then navigate to:

Code:
    meta-doctor/build/pre2-p102ueuna-wr-2.0.1/webOS
    There you will find the file "roadrunner.xml". Right click it and hit "Open with gedit". This will be where you input all your tokens.

Your tokens are obtained from your old Sprint Pre. There are several methods to extract your tokens. You can use the "Show Properties" app available from Preware and use its "generate castle.xml" feature from the menu to send an email to yourself with all the tokens. You can also do it manually by using Internalz and copying the entire tokens folder (from tmp/tokens) into your USB drive and transferring it over. Whatever method works for you (Show Properties will most probably be easiest).

From this point on, I will assume you have used Show Properties to send yourself an email with the tokens in the xml format.

The exact list of tokens you need is copied from livinofframen's guide:

<Val name="installer" value="trenchcoat"/>
    <Val name="ProdSN" action="overwrite" value="x"/>
    <Val name="ModemSN" action="overwrite" value="X"/>
    <Val name="BATToRSP" action="overwrite" value="x"/>
    <Val name="BATToCH" action="overwrite" value="x"/>
    <Val name="DMSVRoNONCE" action="overwrite" value="x"/>
    <Val name="DMSVRoAUTHPW" action="overwrite" value="x"/>
    <Val name="DMCLoNONCE" action="overwrite" value="x"/>
    <Val name="DMCLoAUTHPW" action="overwrite" value="x"/>
    <Val name="DMCLoAUTHNAME" action="overwrite" value="x"/>
    <Val name="DMCARRIER" action="overwrite" value="x"/>
    <Val name="DMMODEL" action="overwrite" value="x"/>
    <Val name="WIFIoADDR" action="overwrite" value="x"/>
    <Val name="BToADDR" action="overwrite" value="x"/>
    <Val name="PalmSN" action="overwrite" value="x"/>
    <Val name="PRODoID" action="overwrite" value="x"/>
    <Val name="PN" action="overwrite" value="x"/>
    Once you have copied all the tokens into your roadrunner.xml, save and close it.

You're almost done!

6. Now go back to your terminal. At this point you should still be in the meta-doctor directory. Here's the final command:
    Code:
    make pack
    If all went well, this should finish and you should have no errors. If this works, go back to your main meta-doctor directory (from the visual file explorer) and then go here:

Code:
    meta-doctor/build/pre2-p102ueuna-wr-2.0.1/
    In this directory will be a few folders and one jar. The jar is your custom Meta-Doctor. Congrats! Copy this meta-doctor into your guestOS folder on your desktop (If you followed the guides quoted above correctly, you should have one set up) and you're done! What I prefer doing is making a folder inside hostOS and calling it "Skip All" or "Token Writer" or something so you know that this Doctor is the one that skips all the preliminary steps and writes the tokens.

Go into Windows and find wherever your hostOS folder was that you linked Virtual Box to. You should see the Doctor inside the correct folder. Hook your Pre 2 up into recovery mode:

• Power it down, take off the back and pull the battery
    • Connect the phone to the USB cable which is attached to your computer
    • Hold the Volume UP key and put in your battery
    • At this point you should see a giant USB symbol on your screen

When the phone is hooked up to your computer with a large USB Symbol on the screen, run your Doctor! Just observe it to make sure there are no errors yet. Once it gets past 9% you don't need to watch it anymore, it will most likely work.

While this is happening, you can make your second Doctor. This one will be a lot quicker and a lot less work.

While this may not be the most elegant of solutions, this is how I repeat my meta-doctor creations:

Save a copy of the 2.0.1 Doctor somewhere in your Virtual Drive so you have it available to you.

Go into terminal. At this point you should be in your user/meta-doctor directory, from the last step. Type:

Code:
    cd ..
    This will get you back to your user folder. If you don't have terminal open anymore, or are lost. Just close it and run terminal again. Navigate to:

Code:
    home/[YOUR USERNAME]/
    Go into your user folder from the visual file explorer:

Code:
    home/[YOUR USERNAME]/
    You should see a meta-doctor folder in here. Delete the folder. Then, go back into terminal and run this code:

Code:
    git clone git://git.webos-internals.org/tools/meta-doctor.git
    This should create a new meta-doctor folder in your user directory. From the visual file explorer, go into this directory, create a new folder called "downloads" and copy your 2.0.1 STOCK doctor into this folder. Now open up makefile (I prefer gedit, but you can open it in terminal as well) and make sure your makefile looks like this:

# Uncomment the features that you wish to enable below:
    # BYPASS_ACTIVATION = 1
    # BYPASS_FIRST_USE_APP = 1
    ENABLE_DEVELOPER_MODE = 1
    # AUTO_INSTALL_PREWARE = 1
    # ENABLE_TESTING_FEEDS = 1
    # INSTALL_SSH_AUTH_KEYS = 1
    # INSTALL_WIFI_PROFILES = 1
    # DISABLE_UPLOAD_DAEMON = 1
    DISABLE_UPDATE_DAEMON = 1
    # DISABLE_MODEM_UPDATE = 1
    # ENABLE_USB_NETWORKING = 1
    REMOVE_CARRIER_CHECK = 1
    REMOVE_MODEL_CHECK = 1

# INCREASE_VAR_SPACE = 1
    # CHANGE_KEYBOARD_TYPE = z
    # ADD_EXT3FS_PARTITION = 2GB
    # ADD_EXTRA_CARRIERS = 1

# Select "pre", "preplus", "pixi", "pixiplus" or "pre2".
    DEVICE = pre2

# Select "wr", "sprint", "verizonwireless", "bellmo", "telcel" or "att".
    CARRIER = wr

## END OF AREA FOR END USER CHANGES ##
    So this time, we won't bypass activation or the first use so we can create a profile. Leaving Developer Mode is a personal preference. I always like my devices in Dev Mode, so I leave it on. You don't have to if you don't care.

Now, use terminal and navigate to the meta-doctor directory. now type:

Code:
    make unpack patch pack
    That's it! Once this is done, you should have another doctor which will this time let you go into activation and TRY to restore your old Palm Profile, before you realize you can't and it forces you to make a new one. :P.

Anyway, open up the visual file explorer again by looking at your guestOS folder on your desktop. Then make another folder called "Profile Creator" or something that you know the second Doctor that you made will let you create a Palm Profile. Open up the meta-doctor folder in your user directory and find your new doctor from:

Code:
    meta-doctor/build/pre2-p102ueuna-wr-2.0.1/
    and copy and paste this doctor into your "guestOS/Profile Creator" folder.

NOTE BEFORE RUNNING THE PROFILE CREATOR DOCTOR: The reason we made two Doctors, is that the first Doctor would let you check the success of writing tokens. The way I check is, when the first Doctor is finished your Pre 2 will reboot and go straight into webOS. You should see your home screen. Look for, and launch the "Device Info" app. Go down and tap the "More Info" button. From here, be sure your Model says "P100EWW" and go down to see your Carrier say "Sprint" and your MSID/MEID is valid. If your model and carrier are, the rest of your tokens were most probably correctly written as well. Congratulations! You've successfully transplanted a Pre Minus into a Pre 2.

Now you can run your Profile Creator Doctor and try restoring your old Palm Profile. I've had mixed results with this, so YMMV.

I have purposefully not included any hardware swapping information because it is exactly the same as the Pre Plus swap which can be found on the bottom of the first post here. Please look at the iFixit teardown guide as well as Rod's own personal tear down guide to familiarize yourself with the insides of the phone. PLEASE remember to keep the bezel attached to the comms board when you do the swap, it will save you the headache of cable lengths etc.

Say thanks and donate to WebOS Internals for their hard work and thanks to Rod for putting up the Makefile for us to create meta-doctors in the first place.

Also thanks to livinofframen and grndslm for their awesome and meticulous guides.

Good Luck with the procedure! If you have any questions or suggestions for the guide, please feel free to post. However, please do not post arguments on why this is useless or how its too late for you, etc. Please start a new thread to complain about the timeliness of this procedure.

Thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Side Note:

Tally of people who got this running with original Palm Profiles:

Profile from 1.4.5:
    Yes: 1
    No : 1

Profile from 2.0:
    Yes: 1
    No: -

If you do this, please let us know if your original Palm Profile worked or if you had to make a new one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bevcraw; 03/30/2011 at 03:31 PM.
    Very nice.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    The comms board option in Show Properties adds the action="overwrite" attribute automatically.

Do you think we need to make any changes to the Show Properties app to support the two different swap scenarios, or does the existing comms board swap option work for both? Should we add more tokens to that option?

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    wery nice. Now where to get that pre 2?
    Great!
    when you doing changes I makefile for carrier whay we have to inser "wr" ? Insted of sprint
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Patalach View Post
    when you doing changes I makefile for carrier whay we have to inser "wr" ? Insted of sprint
    You have to put wr because the doctor is only for a "World Ready" (WR) Palm Pre 2 right now (or SFR, but I assume most people swapping to a Sprint phone would have the world ready one). So you have to make a doctor for an unlocked world ready Pre 2.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The comms board option in Show Properties adds the action="overwrite" attribute automatically.
    Oh does it? I'll fix the guide. Thanks.

Do you think we need to make any changes to the Show Properties app to support the two different swap scenarios, or does the existing comms board swap option work for both? Should we add more tokens to that option?

-- Rod
    I was thinking, if possible, it could autogenerate the entire file (option of castle/roadrunner) so one wouldn't have to open the file and edit it.

I personally don't think the rest of the tokens are essential. I'd prefer to minimize the number of tokens transferred, so I only use the ones already mentioned in the old threads. I understand wifi/bt address are probably extraneous, but I figured not to change things around and confuse people.
    Yep it works! I am posting this from my Sprint Pre 2.

Thanks to both of you (SirataXero and Rod Whitby) for all of your hard work and assistance with these things.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Last edited by pastorrich1; 12/19/2010 at 12:28 AM. Reason: autocorrect on the Pre 2 corrects whitby... I need to fix that.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post

Thanks to both of you (SirataXero and Rod Whitby) for all of your hard work and assistance with these things.

With your original Sprint profile? If so, I might try this out sometime soon
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  11.    #11  

Awesome! You're welcome. :P. I have the same question as arthurthornton. Did it work with your original Sprint Profile?
    I did not try my 1.4.5 profile... I have sooooo many apps on it and don't use most of them. I used my 2.0 profile that I created on my Pre 2. I had re-purchased all of my essential apps for that profile anyway.

13.    #13  
    I see... That might be a good course of action. I think I should try that and retry restoring my profile. See if that works.

Thanks for the info. Glad to hear it worked for you.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    on the second meta-doctoring, don't we want to disable the update daemon?
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by sirkuttin View Post
    on the second meta-doctoring, don't we want to disable the update daemon?
    D'oh! Good point!

Added the instructions. Apparently it can be done through the terminal. I guess it doesn't need a Doctor for it. Can anyone (*cough* Rod *cough*) verify this?
    chmod -x will do it.

-- Rod
  17.    #17  
    chmod -x will do it.

-- Rod
    Gotcha. Updated the guide. Thanks.
    You should use the disable update variable in the Makefile.

If you do chmod manually, you need to tell it which file to chmod (you want the update daemon binary).

-- Rod
    I am planning on re-doing my Dr. and adding the disable daemon. When I do I want to try and customize my install a little more and see if I can get some of the default Sprint apps on and operational.

If anyone has some insight into that I would appreciate a post or PM on the subject.

Now... When/if a Pre 2 is ever released on Sprint, won't that Dr. work without any issues?

I am planning on re-doing my Dr. and adding the disable daemon. When I do I want to try and customize my install a little more and see if I can get some of the default Sprint apps on and operational.

If anyone has some insight into that I would appreciate a post or PM on the subject.

Now... When/if a Pre 2 is ever released on Sprint, won't that Dr. work without any issues?
    Depends what your DMMODEL is set to.

-- Rod
Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast