Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast
    I can confirm that after performing this I have same sms issue and dropped call error plus app catalog problem. Also fyi patch for profile creation didn't work.
    So I'm setting about doing this - I bought a cracked screen Pre- off eBay, and have my Pre2 brand new in the box. Do I have to sign into a Palm profile on both devices to extract the tokens? Reading through the thread I decided I'd get my Pre2 tokens just to have

Turning on the Pre2 it asks for a SIM card, and the cracked screen Pre- is asking for a palm profile login. Do I need to login to either/both devices? Or do I need to meta-doctor and bypass activation to extract the tokens? Or can I just get the tokens from where I'm at right now?
    Be aware that this procedure is known not to be successful using publicly available inputs at this time.

If you only have access to publicly available inputs, you should not attempt this procedure.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Be aware that this procedure is known not to be successful using publicly available inputs at this time.

If you only have access to publicly available inputs, you should not attempt this procedure.

-- Rod
    I PM'd you Rod. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by rgisraelsen View Post
    I PM'd you Rod. Thanks.
    Rod should be able to assist you fine, but if you need any further assistance feel free to PM me as well. I have assisted a couple of folks with the process and helped clean up a few loose ends after it is successfully working.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    one question I have:

My Pre 2 has never been activated (I've never put a SIM in it). Its my understanding that whatever type of SIM I put in will bake into the device forever. Being in the US, I assume an AT&T SIM would be fine. Is there a way for me to extract the tokens without having to put in a SIM, or redoctor? Or could I still avoid putting in a SIM by simply meta-doctoring the WR (publicly available) doctor to bypass first use and activation, extract the tokens, then follow the procedure in the thread?

As far as extracting the tokens from the Pre-, is there a way to do this without logging into a Palm profile? Do I have to doctor it bypassing First Use and Activation? Or can I get them with the phone in the state it's currently in (Palm Profile login prompt)?
  7.    #127  
    From what I know, you will need to bypass activation and first use for all phones to get access to their tokens. You can use the WR Pre 2 Doctor and meta-doctor it to bypass everything. You can use any of the Pre minus doctors and meta-doctor them to get to the tokens as well.
    one question I have:

My Pre 2 has never been activated (I've never put a SIM in it). Its my understanding that whatever type of SIM I put in will bake into the device forever. Being in the US, I assume an AT&T SIM would be fine. Is there a way for me to extract the tokens without having to put in a SIM, or redoctor? Or could I still avoid putting in a SIM by simply meta-doctoring the WR (publicly available) doctor to bypass first use and activation, extract the tokens, then follow the procedure in the thread?

As far as extracting the tokens from the Pre-, is there a way to do this without logging into a Palm profile? Do I have to doctor it bypassing First Use and Activation? Or can I get them with the phone in the state it's currently in (Palm Profile login prompt)?
    According to Developing on an Unactivated Device - HP Palm Developer Center, on 2.0 devices you can now get into devmode really easily: for a GSM device, just type in "#*DEVMODE#" and tap the Phone button.

For your donor Pre, you can use the bypass activation tool off the same page, install Preware, then install Show Properties.
    Looking at the list of tokens in the first post, it shows a lot more tokens than I got by selecting "Comms Board Swap" from the Show Properties app. Namely, the following were not in the Show Properties app list:

<Val name="WIFIoADDR" action="overwrite" value="x"/>
    <Val name="BToADDR" action="overwrite" value="x"/>
    <Val name="PalmSN" action="overwrite" value="x"/>
    <Val name="PRODoID" action="overwrite" value="x"/>
    <Val name="PN" action="overwrite" value="x"/>

Don't we want to keep the original PalmSN? That way the sticker on the back of the phone will match the phone itself, right? What about the others?
    Looking at the list of tokens in the first post, it shows a lot more tokens than I got by selecting "Comms Board Swap" from the Show Properties app. Namely, the following were not in the Show Properties app list:

<Val name="WIFIoADDR" action="overwrite" value="x"/>
    <Val name="BToADDR" action="overwrite" value="x"/>
    <Val name="PalmSN" action="overwrite" value="x"/>
    <Val name="PRODoID" action="overwrite" value="x"/>
    <Val name="PN" action="overwrite" value="x"/>

Don't we want to keep the original PalmSN? That way the sticker on the back of the phone will match the phone itself, right? What about the others?
    So select "full" instead of " "comm board swap" then remove the ones from the list that don't match what is in the instructions in the first post.

You may experiment with whatever you like and post the results here. However there may be other things you are unaware of to make sure it works in the end.

If you are aware of the missing link that was unknown in the beginning then I would recommend simply following the instructions without deviation. If you are unaware of that missing piece of information (not intentional originally and now intentional by necessity) then you will need to perhaps contact someone who has successfully completed the conversion for that little bit of information if they can in fact share it with you.
    Here's a thought I had, and I'd like to hear other people's thoughts on this. After finishing the swap (which I haven't yet - I've been too busy the last few days...), assuming one does replace the PalmSN token from the donor Pre-, then do you even have to get on the Sprint website to activate the new phone? If not, then thinking about the fact that the new Sprint $10 policy will apply to ESN swaps, then a user who has a pre already on Sprint that is replacing it with a new pre, pixi, pre2, pre+, or whatever, could just always do a doctor and replace the PalmSN token in the new device with the PalmSN token from the original device. Is that right?

If its not the case, then could someone fill me in on the details of getting the phone activated on Sprint after the swap? If we are replacing all the tokens that are listed in the original thread, then they won't match the sticker on the back of the phone, and so it seems that you wouldn't have to even get on the Sprint site to "activate" a new phone, since you aren't really changing anything. That being said, you would have to remember which donor pre- you put into your pre2, so you wouldn't inadvertently lose the numbers.
    Here's a thought I had, and I'd like to hear other people's thoughts on this. After finishing the swap (which I haven't yet - I've been too busy the last few days...), assuming one does replace the PalmSN token from the donor Pre-, then do you even have to get on the Sprint website to activate the new phone? If not, then thinking about the fact that the new Sprint $10 policy will apply to ESN swaps, then a user who has a pre already on Sprint that is replacing it with a new pre, pixi, pre2, pre+, or whatever, could just always do a doctor and replace the PalmSN token in the new device with the PalmSN token from the original device. Is that right?

If its not the case, then could someone fill me in on the details of getting the phone activated on Sprint after the swap? If we are replacing all the tokens that are listed in the original thread, then they won't match the sticker on the back of the phone, and so it seems that you wouldn't have to even get on the Sprint site to "activate" a new phone, since you aren't really changing anything. That being said, you would have to remember which donor pre- you put into your pre2, so you wouldn't inadvertently lose the numbers.
    If the donor Pre was already active on your Sprint account then you won't need to do anything further for activation concerning Sprint. But yes, you will need to store the ESN somewhere since the sticker with it is still in the old phone carcass.

The other thing you sacrifice is the ability to get assistance from Palm (at least over the phone) because the SN on your device is not the Pre 2 SN.

I called Palm support today to get a profile issue fixed. When I gave them the SN and said the phone is a Pre 2, they asked what OS version I was running. I said 2.0.1 and they assured me very strongly that I did not have a Pre 2 and was operating with an illegally obtained ROM. I nearly blew a gasket. So, just know those things going forward.

There are still a couple of things you will need to know AFTER the swap and Dr. so PM me when you get everything operating (phone, SMS, data etc.).
    Note that PalmSN is never sent via the radio to Sprint. The MEID is, and that cannot be changed using tokens.

Whether to transfer PalmSN is a choice to make, which depends on your preferred outcome.

BTW, it's easy to swap stickers between phones, and even to cut the sticker diagonally to split the two numbers on it and only swap half the sticker ...

-- Rod
    Update... I re-wrote three of my tokens back to the Pre 2 values.

DMMODEL, PRODoID and PalmSN and everything still works. My next experiment will be to overwrite any Pre 2 specific static tokens, back to the Pre 2 values. For example... HWoRev, MfgCode, and PN. If anyone knows what those are and if they are the same on all P102UNA Pre 2's let me know either here or in a PM. Thanks.

Hopefully the corrected PalmSN will get me Palm Profile support again.
    I have a problem. After completion my pre 2 will not activate on sprint. The old comm board is clean and sprint recognizes that. Still, after 1 hour on the phone with sprint they could not get past the activation error screen.
    please enter your hex meid
    sprint wants me to go to the store for a wired activation but you know that can't happen. Lol any suggestions?
    I have confirmed after creating a new metadoctor that my sprint pre 2 can be activated on Sprint but it does not have any service on the phone. The tokens transferred perfectly and everything reads correctly on ##rtn#, device info and Impostah.
    Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
    Well, I've been out of the loop for a bit and came back online for the big HP announcement. Very, very mixed feelings. That said, I was interested in the development of the work on getting the Pre 2 to work on Sprint, and I'm curious as to your opinions of the feasibility of creating a stable device now that 2.0 won't be supported for legacy devices, even if there are leaked Sprint 2.x doctors out there. Still hoping for a Pre 3 announcement for Sprint, but I'm hedging my bets here.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    I'm going to give this a try as well. One question though. With the Pre2 now on verizon will this process be different if I were to get my hands on a CDMA Pre2 with an ESN tied to the big red? Would that still involve tokens? Thank you in advance!
    Quote Originally Posted by ms2474 View Post
    I'm going to give this a try as well. One question though. With the Pre2 now on verizon will this process be different if I were to get my hands on a CDMA Pre2 with an ESN tied to the big red? Would that still involve tokens? Thank you in advance!
    Yes, you still need to save and alter tokens. Even though it is CDMA/EVDO Rev A, the radio board in Verizon devices is configured to work only on the Verizon network. Regardless, you must transplant the radio board from the Sprint Pre. (No I haven't done this yet to my newly acquired Pre 2.)
    Folks, I know many of you are interested in this, but please don't try this yet unless you have ALL of the details. YOU WILL BE DISAPPOINTED!

If you have the details, then here are a couple of things to know.

1. You only need to use the "comm board swap" set of tokens generated by the "Show Properties" app.

2. You WILL end up with the 9.9.9 profile issue and will lose access to any apps in the app catalog completely that require 1.4.0 or later.

3. You may or may not be able to purchase apps after the initial conversion. But even if you can initially it WILL STOP WORKING at some point. You can still DL and install any apps you had previously purchased on the profile though.

4. You will have to create a new meta Dr. every time an OS update is released for the Pre 2. It's not difficult but will get old after a while.

So you have been warned. Hopefully someday soon we can clear up any confusion surrounding this process. This thread would have never been posted had we known then what we know now.
    Last edited by pastorrich1; 02/11/2011 at 12:38 PM. Reason: added #4
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast