Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Yes, the one on this device does show as 9.9.9 however I can see and download other apps. What is the difference between them and Angry Birds that allows them to be seen but Angry Birds not be seen?
    Look at the minimum webOS version for the apps - you'll find the ones you can see have minimums less than a certain value, and the ones you can't see have minimums greater than a certain value.

I personally won't consider our collective work on this Sprint Pre 2 endeavour to be complete until we can get that to show the correct version.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    @Rod

Any ideas on where to begin to look?
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    so assuming once (if possiable) the procedure is at a point where its stable, will SirataXero or any other member be offering the service to peope for a fee. Or offering the option to purchase a Pre 2 that has already been converted over to the sprint network? If so please let me know, and again great job to everyone who has once again made the impossiable possiable.
    In all honesty, that was my ultimate end goal. To allow people who don't want to do this themselves to have this done for them. However, I strongly believe that by the time we get this to the point where its stable enough and I feel comfortable enough to make it commercially available, I'm hoping Palm has at least ANNOUNCED (if not released) something more viable and better than the Pre 2.
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I personally won't consider our collective work on this Sprint Pre 2 endeavour to be complete until we can get that to show the correct version.

-- Rod
    Personally, I won't consider our work on the Sprint Pre 2 complete until we get a newer doctor and we can get that to run cleanly...

Somehow, I doubt that will happen... the model changing (and the associated files within) are a little too much for us to just change a few names around to make it show up. I'm almost positive that all the troubles we were (and are) facing are because of the Castle -> Roadrunner switch.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    I got those exact same problems when I didn't copy over all the tokens properly. Please double check that all the correct tokens were transferred over (specifically DMMODEL) as well as when making the makefile you used a pre2/wr combination. Also make sure you were using the 2.0.1 doctor to begin with.
    I just double checked and all the tokens you mentioned in the first post copied over correctly, including DMMODEL. The two tokens that were different were ACCELCAL and DMSETS.
    I also noticed that the Pre2 has a few tokens that weren't in the Pre

<Val name="ALSCal" value="{\"values\": [58, 684, 0, 0]}"/>
    <Val name="SimLockDef" value="UNLOCKED"/>

Do I need to remove them somehow?

I also redid the doctor with the new settings you updated in post and am still having the same issues.

EDIT: I also double checked I had it set to Pre2 and wr for the token writing doctor.
    Last edited by crgunn; 12/20/2010 at 10:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by crgunn View Post
    I just double checked and all the tokens you mentioned in the first post copied over correctly, including DMMODEL. The two tokens that were different were ACCELCAL and DMSETS.
    I also noticed that the Pre2 has a few tokens that weren't in the Pre

<Val name="ALSCal" value="{\"values\": [58, 684, 0, 0]}"/>
    <Val name="SimLockDef" value="UNLOCKED"/>

Do I need to remove them somehow?

I also redid the doctor with the new settings you updated in post and am still having the same issues.
    Yes, when you look at the list you only need to include the specific tokens in the list in the first post. Any extras like ACCELCAL don't get added in.

That was my error with my first Dr. Fortunately I caught it before I ran it.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Yes, when you look at the list you only need to include the specific tokens in the list in the first post. Any extras like ACCELCAL don't get added in.

That was my error with my first Dr. Fortunately I caught it before I ran it.
    I didn't ad those tokens to meta-doctor, they just remained from the Pre2
    Quote Originally Posted by crgunn View Post
    I didn't ad those tokens to meta-doctor, they just remained from the Pre2
    Oh, I'm sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying.
    Wow I've been super busy lately, but hyped to see all the development on this. WebOS HB is awesome! Thanks to all you cats for real!
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Okay, I've spent a number of hours going thru this in detail, capturing ls-monitor and /var/log/messages

I started with a pre- on 1.4.1.1

Logged into my profile and accroding to palm.com/palmprofile I had OS 1.40.11(which is correct)

Sprint forced me to do an OTA upgrade to 1.4.5

Logged into my profile and according to palm.com/palmprofile I had OS 1.40.50(which is correct)

after that I copied the tokens out of the sprint pre- and did the swap.
    added the tokens to the roadrunner.xml and doctored the unit to 2.0.1

then rm /var/luna/preferences/ran-first-use ; stop LunaSysMgr ; start LunaSysMgr and it came up with first use.

at that point I logged into my profile as normal and it reported that it was restoring my Pre.

Logged into my profile and according to palm.com/palmprofile I had OS 9.9.9 (which is WRONG)

My Purchase (Angry Birds) was nowhere to be found and my contacts were gone.

SMS text messaging OUT does NOT work. SMS text messaging IN does NOT work.

Even though I dropped an outgoing call manually the "call dropped" redial message came up

incomming calls work normally.

It would appear as if Sprint + Pre2 is a VERY qualified success (if you can live with text messaging being gone, all your apps that you paid for missing, and the probababilty of things not getting much better for the forseeable future) then its worth it.

Tom
    SirataXero,

Tom and I have attempted to replicate your procedure, but end up with a device which does not have working SMS text messaging, and which has the 9.9.9 issue.

I double checked that Tom followed the procedure as you have documented it.

Can you confirm whether SMS works on yours?

Has anyone been able to get a Sprint Pre 2 which does not have the 9.9.9 issue?

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    SirataXero,

Tom and I have attempted to replicate your procedure, but end up with a device which does not have working SMS text messaging, and which has the 9.9.9 issue.

I double checked that Tom followed the procedure as you have documented it.

Can you confirm whether SMS works on yours?

Has anyone been able to get a Sprint Pre 2 which does not have the 9.9.9 issue?

-- Rod
    I have a Sprint Pre 2 that does have the 9.9.9 issue.... HOWEVER

I can SMS and MMS just fine. I have zero issues with either. There is one caveat to this... in 2.0.x it appears some level of SMS and call log backup is part of the Profile now. While that is good... in the messaging app it does not re-link those conversations with the contacts and therefore is useless with the exception of having the record. I will have to try it on a stock 2.0.x Pre 2 to see if it is the same, but that will be a few days away at best. I will be using my dev coupon and ordering a stock unit today so I can have something to compare to and test my Sprint Pre 2 against. (I paid retail for this one)

All of my paid apps are available and work (with the sole exception of Angry Birds). They don't auto install (I suspect it is due to the profile version) but they are available to download for free. While this is a nuiscance... it is the exact same thing that happens when I log onto my German Pre with my profile for traveling in Europe (only Angry Birds works on that phone, it is 1.4.5). And I can also purchase new apps. I just purchased MOLO this morning to test and see if that works.

I have no dropped call issue at all. All calling features and functions work perfectly.

So... I also followed the isntructions... with one exception. I did not bypass activation or first use. I have doctor'd twice now. The first time with Tokens and the second time without and added the disable update daemon. Both times with no errors or issues.

Now, I did not come from a profile that had ever been on a 1.x.x OS. I created a new profile when my Pre2 first arrived on 11/19 and have been using it ever since. I have purchased/repurchased a number of apps I consider critical (Angry Birds included) on this profile.

So...all of those critical things are working fine for me. There are a couple of glitches though in the process.

1. The Dr. wipes the USB partition each time so far (I seem to have terrible luck with this). This could be a characteristic of the meta Dr. but I don't know since the two meta Dr's I did for this process were the VERY FIRST I HAVE EVER DONE.

2. The Dr. does not install the standard directories in the USB partition ie. ringtones and wallpaper, I can copy them in manually and they work fine.

3. In the interactive test section for the touch sensor and screen, the little animations/pictures that show you which direction to turn, swipe, multi touch etc. are not there. The words and buttons are, and all the functions still work and advance the interactive tests as they should.

So far, those are the only anomolies I have found. Everything else (meaning all of the things I do normally) works perfectly. So, even though I am a complete neophite at the whole radios swap and meta Dr. process, I followed the directions and have no problems... except Angry Birds.
    1. The Dr. wipes the USB partition each time so far (I seem to have terrible luck with this). This could be a characteristic of the meta Dr. but I don't know since the two meta Dr's I did for this process were the VERY FIRST I HAVE EVER DONE.

2. The Dr. does not install the standard directories in the USB partition ie. ringtones and wallpaper, I can copy them in manually and they work fine.
    1. The Dr. will always wipe the USB partition if the LVM partition layout has changed (which is does between 1.4.5 and 2.0).

2. Those things are in the carrier customisations tarball, which the procedure in this thread disables.

-- Rod
    1. The Dr. will always wipe the USB partition if the LVM partition layout has changed (which is does between 1.4.5 and 2.0).

2. Those things are in the carrier customisations tarball, which the procedure in this thread disables.

-- Rod

Then both of those things are expected (although my Dr. last night was 2.0.1 to 2.0.1)

Although I need to learn how to fix #2. If it is possible, it seems pointless not to make sure that is in place with the meta Dr.
    Then both of those things are expected (although my Dr. last night was 2.0.1 to 2.0.1)

Although I need to learn how to fix #2. If it is possible, it seems pointless not to make sure that is in place with the meta Dr.
    We only have Sprint carrier customisations for castle, not for roadrunner. I tried the castle ones at devday.

-- Rod
    For those having the SMS and other issues, I would recommend not bypassing carrier activation and firstuse as well as creating a stock 2.0.x profile to put on the device and see if that makes a difference. Of course doing both at the same time won't tell you which one is the issue.

But at least that should give you the same procedure I used to see if you can duplicate my result.
  17.    #57  
    That's really odd. I'm actually considering taking down this tutorial then... The only reason I put it up is because I managed to solve the SMS and "dropped call" issues. My SMS/MMS work perfectly, I also do not have any dropped call message issues. I did make a new profile for 2.0.1... However I'm fairly positive that can't be the texts/calls issue. I do know that this way I can save my (new 2.0.1) profile and be able to restore it after a Doctor. I would have completely abandoned this tutorial were it not for pastorrich's success.

To be honest, the fact that everyone else is still getting the same errors I used to is really troublesome...

Rod, should I take down the tutorial?
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    That's really odd. I'm actually considering taking down this tutorial then... The only reason I put it up is because I managed to solve the SMS and "dropped call" issues. My SMS/MMS work perfectly, I also do not have any dropped call message issues. I did make a new profile for 2.0.1... However I'm fairly positive that can't be the texts/calls issue. I do know that this way I can save my (new 2.0.1) profile and be able to restore it after a Doctor. I would have completely abandoned this tutorial were it not for pastorrich's success.

To be honest, the fact that everyone else is still getting the same errors I used to is really troublesome...

Rod, should I take down the tutorial?
    Don't take it down, it's important documentation of how the process is going.

I strongly suspect you have an undocumented step somewhere.

You might edit and put a tag at the top that as of (date) no one has been able to duplicate your results...

-_ Rick
    Quote Originally Posted by rboatright View Post
    Don't take it down, it's important documentation of how the process is going.

I strongly suspect you have an undocumented step somewhere.

You might edit and put a tag at the top that as of (date) no one has been able to duplicate your results...

-_ Rick
    That isn't correct. I duplicated his results the first time and could not have done the process at all without the tutorial, step by step, as I had never done a meta Dr. or radio swap before. The only difference that I can see in what I did and what some of the others did is that I did not bypass carrier activation and first use app in my makefile. Everything else was to the letter.
  20.    #60  
    Pastorrich, did you bypass it the first time to check of the tokens were overwritten correctly in the Device Info app?
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast