Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30
  1.    #1  
    After borrowing a SIM to get the pre 2 signed in, i can't access the app catalog, system updates or facebook through wifi. Whenever i try to access anything with the data turned off the phone displays "You must connect to a network to use this application"

    I reset the Pre 2 through WebOSDoctor last night. It's a UK unlocked and UK activated Pre 2. I'm currently in the UAE.

    I don't know if this has anything to do with it but it seems to detect home wifi connections as 'captive portals', when i click on this notification it just takes me to the Networking App and to the Pre 2 page on the palm website.

    There's an iphone, android and symbian phone that all connect fine through the wireless router.
    Last edited by beardedwonder; 12/18/2010 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Bad spelling
  2. #2  
    I don't have this issue on my WiFi...
  3. #3  
    What SIM did you use? A local one?
    Could be Palm is blocking UAE IP ranges.

    There used to be something like a Blocked countries list...
  4. #4  
    You can least use the browser?
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by beardedwonder View Post
    After borrowing a SIM to get the pre 2 signed in, i can't access the app catalog, system updates or facebook through wifi. Whenever i try to access anything with the data turned off the phone displays "You must connect to a network to use this application"
    I'm not understanding your statement here. Why are you turning off your data connection to enable wifi? Is your phone not connecting to the wifi router and just not passing data or are you not able to connect to the wifi router?
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    I'm not understanding your statement here. Why are you turning off your data connection to enable wifi? Is your phone not connecting to the wifi router and just not passing data or are you not able to connect to the wifi router?
    This seems really complicated but thank you for your help.

    I can do everything with data enabled on a local SIM in the UAE including accessing the (UK) app store and software updates.

    However this is not my SIM and i would like to use the WIFI network available to run apps that require a data connection. Every time I try and use the wifi for anything other than the browser it says: "You must connect to a network to use this application", when I use the browser for surfing it works fine.

    EDIT: Why is it that three other mobile OSes have no problems with this but webOS does?
    Last edited by beardedwonder; 12/18/2010 at 01:39 PM.
  7. #7  
    But do you really have WiFi turned? Do you connect to your wifi network? Does the little signal icon appears as solid white instead of gray?

    I can use my 2 webOS devices on any network with no SIM, everything fine!
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    But do you really have WiFi turned? Do you connect to your wifi network? Does the little signal icon appears as solid white instead of gray?

    I can use my 2 webOS devices on any network with no SIM, everything fine!
    This is the bit that I'm struggling to understand. It can use the web browser fine but as soon as i try and use anything other than the browser it says "you must connect to a network..."

    All I've done is disable 3G data and as soon as i do that nothing will connect other than the browser.

    To make things even worse a US AT&T palm pre plus works fine on the same connection!
  9. WyreNut's Avatar
    Posts
    123 Posts
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    #9  
    Just as you've been asked several times, are you SURE you have Wifi turned on in the phone?? Are you in Airplane mode? Tap the top right corner of the screen, and check for both conditions...

    WyreNut
    Pre2/3/TouchPad, and TouchDroid user.
  10. #10  
    he should go into the dialer app and turn data off. That way he has the phone for voice and text, and can work on a wifi connection in the wifi app without worry that the 3g radio is involved.
  11.    #11  
    Here are some pictures of the settings i'm using:
    Phone dialer preferences:


    Here are the wifi settings:


    Here's the web browser working:


    Here's an error i occasionally get while web browsing, clicking ok lets me carry on:


    Here's what i get if i click on the captive portal icon in the bottom right (even though this is a home broadband connection):


    Finally, this is the error i get when i try and use anything other than the browser that requires an internet connection:


    Aeroplane mode is definitely off and i just have no signal in the office where i took these pictures.
  12. #12  
    There is something wrong with the wifi setup.
    Try forget network
    Reconnect to network using automatic.
    Did you setup wifi manually? Maybe same ip address twice?
  13.    #13  
    I've gone through automatic setup again after using the forget network setting, still getting the same problem. I also tried setting it up manually and i still get the same problem.
  14. #14  
    have you connected a PC to the wifi router? Wondering if you can check to make sure you don't have security, such as MAC filtering.

    also, have you tried the Pre on any other wifi, such as a local coffee shop?
  15. #15  
    Okay... something is off here. when I look at your phone settings page, it looks different than mine.

    See the attached screen caps.

    Our phone preferences are different.
    Our wifi preferences look the same.
    This thread looks the same.

    What is that little blue wifi icon/notification in the bottom right of your screen?

    And... what is a captive portal? Is that some type of VPN thing?

    I don't have either of those things, ever and I have used wifi since day 1 as my data connection of choice. I used it witout a SIM, so there was no phone data, I used it with a T-mobile SIM and had Edge data, and now I am using it on Sprint and have 3G data yet in every case the wifi worked and connected exactly the same way.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  16. #16  
    a captive portal is a site that requires you to launch a browser to take an action (such as login or accepting terms of use) before you can get to the internet.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    a captive portal is a site that requires you to launch a browser to take an action (such as login or accepting terms of use) before you can get to the internet.
    Is that what the little blue icon is?
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  18. #18  
    I'm not sure, as I don't have 2.x. It might be, but I thought the wifi connection was supposed to automatically launch the browser, but i'm guessing.

    The OP should tap it and see what it does. If he is on a hope router I would be surprised if he had to launch a browser to authenticate. That's usually found in hotels, coffee shops, and other public hotspots.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    The OP should tap it and see what it does. If he is on a hope router I would be surprised if he had to launch a browser to authenticate. That's usually found in hotels, coffee shops, and other public hotspots.
    The blue icon is a 'captive portal' notification and it's really annoying. It detects the home wireless router as a captive portal when it clearly isn't.

    The 5th picture in my post shows what happens when i click on the captive portal icon.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by beardedwonder View Post
    The blue icon is a 'captive portal' notification and it's really annoying. It detects the home wireless router as a captive portal when it clearly isn't.

    The 5th picture in my post shows what happens when i click on the captive portal icon.
    Are you running webOS 2.0.1?

    If so, I don't understand the differences in the phone network preferences.

    On the captive portal thing... I haven't connected to one on my Pre 2. I will have to see if I can find one and try it. I know Burger King utilizes one, so I will give that a try.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions