Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 30 of 30
  1. #21  
    The captive portal things does work, at least with the Telmex hotspots in Mexico.

    One other screenshot, your ip settings appear when you're connected to your wifi network and you tap your same connection. How does that look? I assume you don't have a 1.4.5 device (Pre/Pre+) to try and connect to the same network, do you?

    I really think you should send a feedback message to Palm as it appears to be a bug in the captive portal detection algorithm.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    One other screenshot, your ip settings appear when you're connected to your wifi network and you tap your same connection. How does that look? I assume you don't have a 1.4.5 device (Pre/Pre+) to try and connect to the same network, do you?
    I have an AT&T Pre+ which works fine on the same network connection but has always suffered a major battery draining problem.

    Here's the screenshot of the IP settings, this is on automatic settings:


    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Are you running webOS 2.0.1?

    If so, I don't understand the differences in the phone network preferences.
    I am running WebOS 2.01.
  3. #23  
    ok, I assume you're not running some kind of transparent proxy (squid or some other), so I'll go with the dns servers.

    Please go and manually assign your Pre 2 dns server address (just slide the switch on "Automatic IP settings". Leave the ip address, netmask and gateway, and set only one dns, to 192.168.0.1 to see if your router can act as dns server.

    Try to use internet, It may be that.
  4. #24  
    Try clicking a link in that "Captive Portal" page that loads in the app. See if maybe it is expecting you to click an "Accept Terms" link or something of the sort before it allows you to use Wifi.

    Also, try chatting with Palm support, as they should be able to more accurately track down the issue you're experiencing (and log a bug on the captive portal since it thinks your router is a captive portal).
    Arthur Thornton

    Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  5. #25  
    This is strange.

    I'm using my pre 2 with wife only, used wife's sim card to activate (not in phone anymore), have 2.01, webdoctored. So we should be the same.

    Wife works great for me (using it now to write this). I get the captive portal message at work, where we do have a captive portal that forces you to log in with your browser.

    Check the port settings on your router. Maybe some services are set to use ports other than the defaults?
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    Try clicking a link in that "Captive Portal" page that loads in the app. See if maybe it is expecting you to click an "Accept Terms" link or something of the sort before it allows you to use Wifi.

    Also, try chatting with Palm support, as they should be able to more accurately track down the issue you're experiencing (and log a bug on the captive portal since it thinks your router is a captive portal).
    No, the problem is that there's no captive portal, he can browse internet somehow, when he taps on the captive portal icon, the browser goes to the Palm page, so, it works.

    That's why my bet is on a dns timeout.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    No, the problem is that there's no captive portal, he can browse internet somehow, when he taps on the captive portal icon, the browser goes to the Palm page, so, it works.

    That's why my bet is on a dns timeout.
    But it is inside a captive portal app, so that's just a web view.

    I think the captive portal app is waiting for some link tap before it will allow anybody to actually use WiFi (which is a mistake when a false positive occurs like this).

    I'll dig into the code and see if I can find out what it is waiting for.
    Arthur Thornton

    Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  8. #28  
    I found a captive portal at the mall and it works like the OP describes, with the exception that clicking the captive portal actually opens a link to one. Then my apps pass data properly.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    But it is inside a captive portal app, so that's just a web view.

    I think the captive portal app is waiting for some link tap before it will allow anybody to actually use WiFi (which is a mistake when a false positive occurs like this).

    I'll dig into the code and see if I can find out what it is waiting for.
    Check if it tries to connect to Palm's website
    From what I see, webOS 2 tries to connect to Palm, and if it doesn't get the right response, it shows the portal icon.

    It may be timing out on the first dns, or the router is sending some invalid data, I don't know, but the truth is, it shouldn't be sending that.

    Another thing could be a MTU issue, but there's no easy way to change that in webOS.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    ok, I assume you're not running some kind of transparent proxy (squid or some other), so I'll go with the dns servers.
    I've already tried Google DNS, Open DNS, and the routers address.

    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    Try clicking a link in that "Captive Portal" page that loads in the app. See if maybe it is expecting you to click an "Accept Terms" link or something of the sort before it allows you to use Wifi.

    Also, try chatting with Palm support, as they should be able to more accurately track down the issue you're experiencing (and log a bug on the captive portal since it thinks your router is a captive portal).
    Tried clicking the link and it just acts like the web browser!

    Quote Originally Posted by ka1 View Post
    Check the port settings on your router. Maybe some services are set to use ports other than the defaults?
    Which ports services should i be looking for. The settings for ports and services are mostly blank or at default settings.

    Oh and I'm getting the same behaviour over two routers, a Netgear DGN2000 and a Linksys WAG320N. I think i may have to talk to Palm support, which should be fun at least i can link to this thread to show all the things ive tried
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions