1.    #1  
    let me start this by saying I have no inside info, and I have no knowledge whatsoever about the technical aspects.

however, seeing how *relatively* easy it is to convert the pre classic into the pre plus and all pres to the pre 2,regardless of gsm or cdma carrier...considering the pre 2 processor and memory fit into the same ? Motherboard as the original pres...and considering all the supposed excess inventory of pre's in canada and pre pluses on vzw, att, and other carriers...

isn't it possible that hp and palm bought back the excess inventory and rebadged them with a new front half with the glass screen and microusb, changed the internals a little, added webOS 2.0, and wallah, the "franken pre" also known as the pre 2?

this may be the only rationale for vzw agreeing to carry the pre 2...perhaps they worked out a deal with hp???

again, I also have no clue what I'm talking about and all this may not even be technically possible.

since we have no official news from webOS land, might as well speculate...
    they may have used alot of the same building specs but doubtful of the using excess pre's and pre pluses . There would have been no replacement phones if this were true . And trust me there have been alot of replacments. Ltm ltm
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    the labor cost would be more than the phone. And the cpu isn't replaceable.
    Hmmm.... unlikely IMHO.

I think the Pre 2 was probably intended to be launched by June of 2010 or maybe slightly sooner as the replacement for Pre and Pre plus. Palm already had it done but didn't release because of their financial uncertainties. HP buys them, acquisition gets done and then HP loses its CEO.... more delays.... finally they decide to release the Pre 2 with the latest OS, recoup a little with some sales plus get a decent dev device out so there will be some apps and support in place when they launch devices with 2.0.x in 2011.
    Last edited by pastorrich1; 12/15/2010 at 09:12 AM. Reason: poor grammar
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    +1
    I like the 'wallah' though. What language is that exactly?
    +1 to all of the above, plus I still see them trying to give away old inventory. I was just in Fry's yesterday, and they had a endcap offering free Pre Pluses with HP computers, and there were several dummy units attached to the endcap (Awesome way to make people want the devices, HP. Emphasize the plasticky build and keep them from seeing WebOS. Brilliant.)

I don't think the Pre 2 is going to "recoup" much of anything. HP seems to think that as well given the unbelievably soft push in terms of marketing, promotion, and availability.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    I like the 'wallah' though. What language is that exactly?
    A made up one, it would seem...
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenX View Post
    A made up one, it would seem...

I think he was trying to say "Va la!" (however you spell it) rather than 'Wallah' (By Allah)
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I think he was trying to say "Va la!" (however you spell it) rather than 'Wallah' (By Allah)
    Va la= Viola!

Wallah is an israeli expressiom of shock and disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    LOL... I think it was intended to be "voila" and it is from a french expression meaning "look there".

But hey, he is a Dr. and unreadable latin is his forte..
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  12.    #12  
    haha, you guys crack me up. it was just a typo but thanks everyone for the good morning humor.

13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    the labor cost would be more than the phone. And the cpu isn't replaceable.
    arent all these things done in china anyway?
    i though the cpu had the same pinnings and size as the original pres.

again, i have no idea what i'm talking about, just a theory.
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Va la= Viola!
    Actually, Voil
    It's not possible to do such a procedure in a grand scale. Microelectronics fabrication has been standardized enough, however "repair" (which this idea would fall under), in other words "changing the internals a little" is the hardest part of the procedure. It would have to be done manually for each phone. The epoxy resin that microelectronic devices (including the internals of our beloved Palm phones) are bathed in is not very easy to remove, commercially or otherwise. As stated previously, the cost to do this would be astronomical compared to just putting together a brand new phone...
  16.    #16  
    interesting...