Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubuntite View Post
    Interesting. Even if it is activated on Bell? If so, then what determines whether a device gets updates? Is the device's serial number forever linked to Rogers, and therefore gets Rogers updates for life?
    I am not sure what determines whether the device gets updates or not. My pre2 is on bell but was first activated on rogers and seems to be getting the updates fine.
  2. Vij
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vij View Post
    Hi Folks,

My original Bell Pre- has finally bit it. Long story short - I slid down a plastic slide with my kid today and a static electricity zap seems to have messed up the touchscreen - the edges work but not the middle.

I can't wait for a Pre3, but rather than getting a replacement Pre- I was thinking of getting a Pre2 in the mean time.

Given I have an existing profile that I want to keep using, would would you guys suggest? Get a Rogers Pre2 and activate on Bell, or get an unlocked Pre2. The both seem to be the same price. What's easier and (more importantly) what gives me full access to paid apps etc.

Thank!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krab19 View Post
    I do believe that both will give you full access to the app catalog. I am using a rogers pre2 which I unlocked, and it works fine. If you can get your hands on an unlocked one from hp then do it, you will save the time and money needed to unlock it. If you can't then it isn't hard to unlock it, and using nextgen servers it should cost about $16 CAD
    Well I ended up getting a Pre-, and promptly lost it after spending the time to set it up. ARRG! I think I might just get a Rogers Pre 2, unlock it, get a SIM card, and hook up to Bell (corporate account). Or maybe I'll just kiss Bell goodbye (for now) shudder and go with Rogers.......
    Well I ended up getting a Pre-, and promptly lost it after spending the time to set it up. ARRG! I think I might just get a Rogers Pre 2, unlock it, get a SIM card, and hook up to Bell (corporate account). Or maybe I'll just kiss Bell goodbye (for now) shudder and go with Rogers.......
    I would recommend staying with Bell until the pre3 is released, that way which ever carrier has it you can jump to.
    Tried to go the self-serve route to install a SIM card.

I went to buy a SIM card, but the Bell rep would not sell it to me without having my new Pre 2 there. Nor would they waive a $15 fee even if I brought the phone in. Basically, even though I told them I knew how to do it, they would not let me do it.

I called Bell Mobility and after explaining myself enough times, they said basically the same thing. No way you will be allowed to self-serve because of the complex software that only Bell reps have access to.

So I poked around the self-service route on the Bell site, and I see that it's broken. When you get to the part where you want to add a new phone, their site crashes after that.

Looks like I'm stuck paying $5 for the card and $15 for the activation.
    -- Bring back DateBk!!

Quote Originally Posted by DS_Palm_Lvr View Post
    Tried to go the self-serve route to install a SIM card.

I went to buy a SIM card, but the Bell rep would not sell it to me without having my new Pre 2 there. Nor would they waive a $15 fee even if I brought the phone in. Basically, even though I told them I knew how to do it, they would not let me do it.

I called Bell Mobility and after explaining myself enough times, they said basically the same thing. No way you will be allowed to self-serve because of the complex software that only Bell reps have access to.

So I poked around the self-service route on the Bell site, and I see that it's broken. When you get to the part where you want to add a new phone, their site crashes after that.

Looks like I'm stuck paying $5 for the card and $15 for the activation.
    Go to Future Shop to buy the card. I bought it for $5 (price matched, they had it for $10), then called in. Even verified that my Pre combo discount is still valid. The call center knows the site is broken, so they will do it for free, usually via a phone CSR it's $35.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Go to Future Shop to buy the card. I bought it for $5 (price matched, they had it for $10), then called in. Even verified that my Pre combo discount is still valid. The call center knows the site is broken, so they will do it for free, usually via a phone CSR it's $35.
    Bell honoured your existing contract? That's great.

Where are you guys buying the Pre2? Direct from HP?
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintus View Post

Strange but true. I checked on eCare, the code disappeared, but if I plug my SIM into my old Nokia phone and check on that self serve page, code is there. And as of my last bill I am getting the discount.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a good day if any part of the Bell self-service site is functional.
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter

I got mine from HP.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    -- Bring back DateBk!!

Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Thanks for the info, what do you mean by Pre combo discount?

-- Bring back DateBk!!

My pre2 is a rogers pre2 which i unlocked

Thanks for the info, what do you mean by Pre combo discount?

Bell had a combo discount going on for a while with the pre, where if you bought it on a 3 year contract with a data plan you get $15 (or was it $10?) off your plan for the rest of the contract. So if the original plan costs $50, with the pre it would cost $35
    They still have that $15 discount for new activations for Pre - devices it hasn't gone anywhere.
    W370 -> 3500c -> Instinct ->Pre -> Legend -> Pre 2 -> Bold 9900 -> iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> HP Pre 3
    Rogers -> Fido -> Bell Mobility ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
    In order to save time, I paid the $15. Now I'm going to see about disputing the charge with Bell.

-- Bring back DateBk!!

Bell had a combo discount going on for a while with the pre, where if you bought it on a 3 year contract with a data plan you get $15 (or was it $10?) off your plan for the rest of the contract. So if the original plan costs $50, with the pre it would cost $35
    Earlier version was $10 and that started around March 2010. That's when I got it. Then it was gone for about a week, and afterwards it was back and got bumped to $15. I'm still banging my head today why I didn't waited for a bit.

Latest is still the $15, but now phone is free and available on 2-year. Though I was told they are now stricter in enforcing the discount with a Pre, some people did get their discount removed after switching.

In order to save time, I paid the $15. Now I'm going to see about disputing the charge with Bell.

You're not getting it back. The $15 is charged by the store, not by Bell.

Bell Bell Self Serve took away ability to change phones online

15. Vij
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    I would recommend staying with Bell until the pre3 is released, that way which ever carrier has it you can jump to.
    That was my Plan A...

I'm now onto Plan B... get an unlocked Pre 2. I'm on Kijiji now...
    That was my Plan A...

I'm now onto Plan B... get an unlocked Pre 2. I'm on Kijiji now...
    Haha :P They should be fairly cheap, maybe $200ish no? I'm kinda happy that i got my pre2 when i did, unfortunately we'll never see the light of the pre3
  17. Vij
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Haha :P They should be fairly cheap, maybe $200ish no? I'm kinda happy that i got my pre2 when i did, unfortunately we'll never see the light of the pre3
    Surprisingly, a couple people are asking $300ish.

I found one person for cheaper. My worry is that is it was an unlocked version initially activated in the USA, and then reactivated in Canada on Telus. I thought that an initial activation outside Canada would cause trouble if later reactivated on Bell.

Should I be worried?
  18. Vij
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    May have located a "like new" Rogers Pre 2... for $150!
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678