Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by manyh View Post
    Solution: click change phone settings, under 'internet APN' put pda2.bell.ca, leave user and pass. Fields empty, you should now have the 3G icon and it will work smoothly.
    How and where do you do this ("click change phone settings"). I've got a Palm Pre 2 and a Bell SIM card that I've identified to the Network. I just can't seem to get network access.
    Nevermind. I found it (phone application, preference). Still no go. I'll try again tomorrow morning. Perhaps it takes a while for the service order to get to the switch. If not, I'll call their CSR. If I can't get this to work on Bell, I'll have to let go of my Bell account and just use Rogers.
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Thanks for the info, richip. Please let us know how you fixed the network issue and what Bell tech support said.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    I tried switching the phone on again this morning and still no joy ("SOS Only"). So I called up Bell Mobility's 1 800 667-0123 number (which, by the way, kept thinking they were still closed even though it was already past 9:30 AM ET). I got a guy who did try to help. After learning my phone's IMEI, he immediately said it wasn't supported. I gave him the whole "it's a UMTS/HSDPA 850/1900 phone", "it says so on palm.com website", "I know of one other person who had gotten it to work without physically doing anything with the phone" and "it works with Rogers" spiel, but in the end, he said that if it doesn't say 850 MHz / 1900 MHz specifically on the box, that he'd have to go with his system on this one. If I could find it on the box, he said he could escalate it. At this point, I was getting frustrated. I had all the info I could gather in front of me except for the numbers on the Palm box.

It really is unfortunate, though. Looks like I'll have to discontinue my service with Bell and go with Rogers.

In fairness, when I use the Pre 2 with Rogers, I just see an "E" logo next to the signal strength bars. This seems to tell me it's connected using EDGE rather than UMTS.
    Quote Originally Posted by richip View Post
    I tried switching the phone on again this morning and still no joy ("SOS Only"). So I called up Bell Mobility's number (which, by the way, kept thinking they were still closed even though it was already past 9:30 AM ET). I got a guy who did try to help. After learning my phone's IMEI, he immediately said it wasn't supported. I gave him the whole "it's a UMTS/HSDPA 850/1900 phone", "it says so on palm.com website", "I know of one other person who had gotten it to work without physically doing anything with the phone" and "it works with Rogers" spiel, but in the end, he said that if it doesn't say 850 MHz / 1900 MHz specifically on the box, that he'd have to go with his system on this one. If I could find it on the box, he said he could escalate it. At this point, I was getting frustrated. I had all the info I could gather in front of me except for the numbers on the Palm box.

It really is unfortunate, though. Looks like I'll have to discontinue my service with Bell and go with Rogers.

In fairness, when I use the Pre 2 with Rogers, I just see an "E" logo next to the signal strength bars. This seems to tell me it's connected using EDGE rather than UMTS.
    This leads me to think you gout an EU model. Where did you buy yours? Can you check under your battery to see what's the model?
    No need to check. I do know that it's an EU model (EU-UMTS). What does that mean (in terms of supported frequencies)?
    Nevermind. Got it (900 MHZ and 2100 MHZ). Sigh.
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    He said that if it doesn't say 850 MHz / 1900 MHz specifically on the box, that he'd have to go with his system on this one. If I could find it on the box, he said he could escalate it.
    Make me a favor and validate online your phone serial (not the card).
    Did you purchased your phone directly from HP? Just to make sure...
    I think the proper way to activate your phone on eCare is to first enter your actual phone serial, then your SIM serial.

Edit: Never mind, I just read the other posts. It looks like you are stuck with an EU phone...
    I would sell it and buy one from HP directly, just to be safe. That is what I did... Could not wait anymore for the developer coupon, I really wanted the phone. I need 2 phones anyways, so I will use the coupon on the second phone.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    Well, given today's news, I might just grab a full price unit from Rogers. You'd think that for the full price, it would be unlocked.

I'll keep the EU version. I go to Asia often enough that it'll be useful. In the meantime, GPRS/EDGE on Rogers isn't so bad.
    Well, given today's news, I might just grab a full price unit from Rogers. You'd think that for the full price, it would be unlocked.

I'll keep the EU version. I go to Asia often enough that it'll be useful. In the meantime, GPRS/EDGE on Rogers isn't so bad.
    No it isn't. Rogers will charge you $50 to unlock it, but not without a long list of restrictions.

JIC is the way to go.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    I've moved from my Pre to my new Pre2. Had to setup the network manually using "pda2.bell.ca" as was mentioned previously in this thread (thanks!). Things seem to work, except the app catalog. I only see the free apps (not the paid apps) and not all of my apps were restored properly to my new Pre2. For example, I'm missing CryptoNotes and Angry Birds (as well as others). Can't get those back since they are paid apps and I can't see them in the "free" app catalog.
    I tried switching the phone on again this morning and still no joy ("SOS Only"). So I called up Bell Mobility's number (which, by the way, kept thinking they were still closed even though it was already past 9:30 AM ET). I got a guy who did try to help. After learning my phone's IMEI, he immediately said it wasn't supported. I gave him the whole "it's a UMTS/HSDPA 850/1900 phone", "it says so on palm.com website", "I know of one other person who had gotten it to work without physically doing anything with the phone" and "it works with Rogers" spiel, but in the end, he said that if it doesn't say 850 MHz / 1900 MHz specifically on the box, that he'd have to go with his system on this one. If I could find it on the box, he said he could escalate it. At this point, I was getting frustrated. I had all the info I could gather in front of me except for the numbers on the Palm box.

I suggest activating your SIM with a any different bell phone (maybe your friends), once the SIM is activated just plug it into your pre, should work perfectly following my previous instructions of entering pda2...
    Quote Originally Posted by manyh View Post
    I suggest activating your SIM with a any different bell phone (maybe your friends), once the SIM is activated just plug it into your pre, should work perfectly following my previous instructions of entering pda2...
    No, I've confirmed that it is an EU UMTS phone. Different frequencies than Bell and Rogers (though it works for GMS/UMTS/EDGE for Rogers). It's useful in Asia and Europe, though
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Ok.. So here's a question... If I was to buy the pre2 from Rogers is there a way that I can unlock it myself and then activate it on my bell account?
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor e View Post
    Ok.. So here's a question... If I was to buy the pre2 from Rogers is there a way that I can unlock it myself and then activate it on my bell account?
    Buy the phone, unlock it using Nextgen server, then activate.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    What is JIC?
    -- Bring back DateBk!!

I have been using my Pre2 on Bell for about a week now. Everything works quite well, but sometimes ( don't have a pattern yet, it only happened twice), the browser display a dns error message ( can't resolve host ). A reboot solves the issue. I've had the APN settings to pda2.bell.ca. I've just changed it to pda.bell.ca to see what happens from now on.

In the mean time, has anyone else experienced something like this?

Since a reboot fixes this, I'm not sure if it's a Bell network issue or a Pre2 issue...
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Does Sprint Nav and Mobile Hotspot work on the Pre2 on Bell? Not prepared to make a switch until I know that these two apps are working on the Pre2.

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
    Does Sprint Nav and Mobile Hotspot work on the Pre2 on Bell? Not prepared to make a switch until I know that these two apps are working on the Pre2.

Thanks.
    They are not on the unlocked Pre2 by default, and they are not in the app catalog, so you'd have to hack them in to the Pre2, and I don't know how to do it or if it would work.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Thanks hboisvert. I do have both of these apps hacked onto my original Bell Pre and they work wonderfully!

Has anyone tried to hack these apps onto a Pre2?
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast