Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 158
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by T3CK View Post
    Honestly, I believe Bell customer service is great if you get the right rep (like I did with the tech guy giving precise information). He confirmed that I can switch my Pre to the new Pre 2 unlocked phone, without any plan changes, the same way another tech confirmed in 2009 that I can do it with my Blackberry. So I guess their policy did not changed.

    You have to understand that Bell stores are getting paid in commission and their goal is to sell you a new phone/plan, not to charge you a tiny $35 to replace your phone. You just have to be prepared with the right answers when you go to the store, that's all. One thing is sure, the guy who tried to upsell me did not liked me at all when I was giving him precise instructions what he needs to do in order to replace my Blackberry.

    The trick is to first call Bell and ask as much information possible related to their phone switch policy. Make sure you talk with the technical support guys over the phone, not the sales department. The sales guys will pull you all kind of stories because they are also forced to upsell constantly and they have quota to reach in order to keep their jobs.
    Actually I'm not sure where you're getting it's $35, but in-store switch is $15+$5 for the SIM. If you do it over the phone it's $35, although if you claim you tried on eCare first it'll be free (I did it twice, since eCare really didn't work for me, keeps throwing a duplicate data plan error).
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  2. #22  
    Also one more reminder for CDMA Bell Pre users thinking of switching, one thing to keep in mind is the Bell does NOT clock data properly on the CDMA network (I've confirmed this myself using netstat), however based on what I've heard, they do clock it properly on HSPA. If you've been tracking your data usage monthly you will notice you're using significantly more data.

    I'm actually debating myself whether to switch to HSPA because of this, I'm really enjoying my "unlimited" data plan.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  3. T3CK's Avatar
    Posts
    414 Posts
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
       #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    You can activate in Canada to get the Canadian catalog. We're an official launch country.
    Thanks Toni, Rod confirmed that in another thread also.

    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Actually I'm not sure where you're getting it's $35, but in-store switch is $15+$5 for the SIM. If you do it over the phone it's $35, although if you claim you tried on eCare first it'll be free (I did it twice, since eCare really didn't work for me, keeps throwing a duplicate data plan error).
    So should I do it over the phone or in store?

    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Also one more reminder for CDMA Bell Pre users thinking of switching, one thing to keep in mind is the Bell does NOT clock data properly on the CDMA network (I've confirmed this myself using netstat), however based on what I've heard, they do clock it properly on HSPA. If you've been tracking your data usage monthly you will notice you're using significantly more data.
    I will let you know how it goes, when I receive my phone. Right now, I tether big time.
    Of course, if Hotspot is available...
    Last edited by T3CK; 12/15/2010 at 11:27 PM.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by T3CK View Post
    So should I do it over the phone or in store?
    I would personally just do it via eCare. It's really not that hard. Go to Wal-Mart or The Source and buy a Bell SIM. Log on to eCare, go to the page where you see your bills, there's a link for "Change your Device". Enter the SIM card number, then "1111111111119 as the IMEI, then click Keep Existing Plan.

    And unlike CDMA, there's no programming involved. Plug the SIM card, see the reception bars and you're good to go.

    Don't let Bell take $15 or $35 away from you for something that simple.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  5. #25  
    I really don't think it would matter what phone you use for that $15 savings, so long as it was still a smart phone, and you are still on a data plan. Maybe if you went back, Oh God, could you imagine???, to a feature phone, then I could see the justification for them to take back that $15/month. And whatever the issue with Bell and their version of what actually transpires as far as data transfer....... I hope they never resolve it ....what it shows that I've used for a month when I send off a message to tcare and what it shows on Netstat are off by a longshot. At least it's in the customer's favor.....about time we get some sort of break, after years of getting hosed
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2¢ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    I really don't think it would matter what phone you use for that $15 savings, so long as it was still a smart phone, and you are still on a data plan. Maybe if you went back, Oh God, could you imagine???, to a feature phone, then I could see the justification for them to take back that $15/month. And whatever the issue with Bell and their version of what actually transpires as far as data transfer....... I hope they never resolve it ....what it shows that I've used for a month when I send off a message to tcare and what it shows on Netstat are off by a longshot. At least it's in the customer's favor.....about time we get some sort of break, after years of getting hosed
    It's a Canadian carrier... you can't reason with them.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    It's a Canadian carrier... you can't reason with them.
    Are you suggesting it's possible to reason with a non-canadian carrier??

    NOT
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Are you suggesting it's possible to reason with a non-canadian carrier??

    NOT
    Hey at least for you guys after some sweet talking and telling them your phone is paid off you can get them to unlock it.

    Here in Canada they'll just ignore you completely, until recently some will do it for an exorbitant fee.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    It's a Canadian carrier... you can't reason with them.
    I'm not interested in sounding like a whining Bell basher (like I have in the past) but this is well said Toni.

    For those of you that have had only positive experiences and expect that your future dealings will be just as rosey.....I think it's only a matter of time before you too will have your own thread on Howard Forums. It seems that those who thought the company was so great seem to freak out the worst when it goes downhill.

    I wanted this phone, Bell had a decent offer, I bit. I'm happy so far.... but I know what Bell is like. The competition is no better. I will wait to see what others experience before I make any changes to my phone with respect to new hardware and this plan.
  10. T3CK's Avatar
    Posts
    414 Posts
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
       #30  
    Just to show how things change to Bell...
    I went today to get a SIM card to the Source. I also wanted to check their TV specials.... so I said to myself, let me take care of the card first, then look at the prices for the TV. I asked a sales guy for the SIM card, he went in the back and showed like 15 seconds later telling me they are out of stock. I asked him why did he not checked first on his terminal, to see if they have in stock.. then I asked him what is the SKU he checked. He said that he did not know skew and that he checked on the usual place cards are stored in the backstore. I asked if is possible to talk to the manager. He went back to the backstore and came back with the manager 5min later. The manager informed they are out of stock for SIM cards. I asked him to show me in his inventory. He entered the SKU and there were 19 cards in stock. He also said that he cannot sell me any of those cards because he has several phones missing the cards. KMON! He simply sticked with the sales person story... I told him: "Thanks, I appreciate your help. I was planning to also buy that TV you have on special, but I will make sure to give my money to another Source." He was like: "Wait, I will make an exception for you and sell you the cards."

    On my way home, I went by the Bell store. It was 5:01pm and still let me in the store (wow). I asked them if I could buy 2 SIM cards... "Sure, let me know if you need regular cards or Micro". Apparently the new iPhone4 has a micro card, I had no idea. They asked me if I checked my new phone with Bell compatibility site and sold me the cards, letting me know they are a final sale. No sales pushes, no stupid conditions. I did not know what cards Pre takes so I purchased 2 of each, regular and micro. I was out of the store in less than 3 minutes with my new cards... I'm glad I did not buy anything from Source, I would of not known about the 2 type of cards Bell has.

    I was simply shocked how nice I was threated by Bell people and how easy they solved my problem. I think they are finally changing, in a good way.
    Source, I will NEVER ever buy something from you.

    Now, what type of SIM card Pre 2 uses? Regular or Micro?
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
  11. #31  
    Regular

    Micro is for the Steve Job's devices and Galaxy Tab (I think).

    Maybe it works differently in Quebec, but the Bell stores here will not sell you a card unless you activate it with them.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  12. T3CK's Avatar
    Posts
    414 Posts
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
       #32  
    Just insist, they should be able to. I called earlier today their tech support and confirmed they can sell it because you can do the activation yourself through eCare, as you mentioned.
    It must be related to the commission they lose...

    Can you post the detailed steps how you tried (and failed) to activate your Pre 2, through eCare?
    Thanks Toni.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
  13. #33  
    I already have a Bell SIM and tried to activate my Pre 2, it wouldn't work it would give me a network error, and no 3G icon on top.

    Solution: click change phone settings, under 'internet APN' put pda2.bell.ca, leave user and pass. Fields empty, you should now have the 3G icon and it will work smoothly.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by T3CK View Post
    Just insist, they should be able to. I called earlier today their tech support and confirmed they can sell it because you can do the activation yourself through eCare, as you mentioned.
    It must be related to the commission they lose...

    Can you post the detailed steps how you tried (and failed) to activate your Pre 2, through eCare?
    Thanks Toni.
    I don't have a Pre 2... I was going from Pre to Pre to Pre.
  15. T3CK's Avatar
    Posts
    414 Posts
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
       #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by manyh View Post
    I already have a Bell SIM and tried to activate my Pre 2, it wouldn't work it would give me a network error, and no 3G icon on top.

    Solution: click change phone settings, under 'internet APN' put pda2.bell.ca, leave user and pass. Fields empty, you should now have the 3G icon and it will work smoothly.
    Did you go to eCare and entered the new phone IMEI to switch the device?
    Bell online procedure is not clear... Do I enter the SIM card id or the phone id?
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by T3CK View Post
    Did you go to eCare and entered the new phone IMEI to switch the device?
    Bell online procedure is not clear... Do I enter the SIM card id or the phone id?
    I believe you put the SIM id, I didn't do anything on e-care as I already had a sim activated on a nokia phone, I just plugged it into my pre and its fine.

    there is probably an explanation on Bell.Ca when you click on the question marks there.
  17. T3CK's Avatar
    Posts
    414 Posts
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
       #37  
    Does anyone know what is the exact procedure to switch the phone on Bell network?
    I hate that I did not asked the first guy... I called now the technical support and the new tech had no idea what it has to be done.
    When I go to eCare, it is asking my to enter my phone serial number.
    However, when I hover the information button it gives me 3 choices:
    - phone
    - turbo stick
    - sim card

    I asked the tech guy what I have to enter and he told that I need to enter first the phone serial number, than the SIM serial number. I'm pretty sure I have to enter the SIM card only... Let me know guys.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
  18. #38  
    I'd like to do the same (active my new Pre 2 and replace my Bell Pre). Unfortunately, the IMEI I have is 18 decimal digits long and the Bell eCare system won't accept it. Any thoughts / suggestions?
    Last edited by richip; 12/19/2010 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Changed length of IMEI
  19. T3CK's Avatar
    Posts
    414 Posts
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
       #39  
    Try the 1111111111119 as the IMEI (thanks Toni), it will most likely not work.
    Then, call Bell and let them know their activation system failed, they will do it for free.

    On my Bell SIM card, I have 2 serials. One that has 20digits and one with 8 alphanumeric chars. Should I try the alphanumeric chars instead? richip, did you enter first the phone serial, or the SIM serial?
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
  20. #40  
    The phone's "serial number" is a generic term they give to the physical device's unique ID. For GSM phones, that means the phone's IMEI. On Bell's my Bell website, it accepted the 111111111111119 fake IMEI and the 20-decimal digit SIM IMSI. It took me through the rate plan and features changes (I didn't change anything) and after accepting the terms & conditions, it accepted my new device configuration.

    After the phone start, I'm faced with "SOS Only". It shows me the SIM Services page and there's nothing I can do. It didn't seem to join Bell's network.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions