1.    #1  
    I'm really interested in buying an unlocked Pre 2. I currently live in the US, but will be moving to Mexico for a couple of years. But before moving, I would like to upgrade my Original Pre. So will the current unlocked phone offered through HP work with TELCEL in Mexico?

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by mh3rn4nd3z3 View Post
    I'm really interested in buying an unlocked Pre 2. I currently live in the US, but will be moving to Mexico for a couple of years. But before moving, I would like to upgrade my Original Pre. So will the current unlocked phone offered through HP work with TELCEL in Mexico?

Thanks.
    Yes, and it will be 3g.

But, make sure you buy it in the USA from HP AND you activate it in the USA. That way you get US app catalog access.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    Yes, and it will be 3g.

But, make sure you buy it in the USA from HP AND you activate it in the USA. That way you get US app catalog access.
    Thanks for your response. I will make sure to do those things.

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $unlocked$ $devices$ $do$ $not$ $depend$ $on$ $the$ $carrier$ $for$ $webOS$ $updates$, $right$?
    Quote Originally Posted by mh3rn4nd3z3 View Post
    Thanks for your response. I will make sure to do those things.

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $unlocked$ $devices$ $do$ $not$ $depend$ $on$ $the$ $carrier$ $for$ $webOS$ $updates$, $right$?
    Not for unbranded devices They'll be the first to get any updates SCORE!
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Yeah, activate it in the US with a US SIM. If you activate in Mexico with a Telcel SIM, you might not get a full app catalog as we still don't know if Telcel will carry webOS 2.0

I have an AT&T Pre Plus unlocked and activated in Mexico with a Telcel SIM. I have the full Mexico App catalog, complete with paid apps (3920 apps right now). But we don't know what will happen with 2.0.

But yes, you'll have 3G with Telcel (actually you'll have GPRS, EDGE, UMTS and HSDPA depending on your signal and nearby towers)
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    If you're coming to Mexico, you'd like better to use it in the new HSPA GSM Iusacell network, it is by far faster than Telcel's 3G network (and cheaper )
  7.    #7  
    Thanks to all for the responses.
    I'm not moving until around February or mid-January. I will wait a little after holiday season.

@alvaro qc, thanks for the reply, I have not been to Mexico in about 8 years now so I don't know of any other carriers besides TELCEL. I'm moving to a fairly big city, Queretaro, Queretaro. I will definitely take into consideration of looking at pricing once I'm over there with my unlocked Pre2.

You can select among three:
    Telcel
    Movistar
    Unefon (The new GSM Iusacell network)

Of these two, Telcel is the most expensive and has been having trouble with their 3G service for several weeks.
    Movistar shares the Telcel's HSDPA antennae with Telcel, so, they may have some trouble also.
    Now, Unefon has their HSDPA antennae installed wherever Iusacell have CDMA antennas. I don't know if this is in all the country, but my bet is that at least they have the big cities covered (Querétaro should be fine).

A friend always praise the Iusacell network, so I might as well look for a way to test the Unefon network, after all, I've already unlocked my phone and I'm no longer under contract on Telcel
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg