Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    They do have a retail presence. In France.

When the Pre was released in the US only, and only on Sprint, did that mean the didn't have a retail presence?
    Do you really want to argue that? Because it's even more damning for HP if we consider the original Pre to be a US-centric device.

That means they are ignoring their largest customer base by only releasing the Pre 2 in France.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Do you really want to argue that? Because it's even more damning for HP if we consider the original Pre to be a US-centric device.

That means they are ignoring their largest customer base by only releasing the Pre 2 in France.
    I think that starting in France with the phone that Palm was supposed to put out in the summer 2010 was a good move.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

They do have a retail presence. In France.

When the Pre was released in the US only, and only on Sprint, did that mean the didn't have a retail presence?
    You are correct. They also have retail presence in the US, too. VZW has been selling HP netbooks for a long time, and HP has as big a retail presence in retail technology as anyone, if not bigger. The Best Buy, Sears, Frys. etc etc represents a huge retail presence and strong brand recognition that can be leveraged by HP and by Carriers who don't have to spin up all the overhead necessary to bring in a new vendor.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    I think that starting in France with the phone that Palm was supposed to put out in the summer 2010 was a good move.
    I don't see it. How is making your flagship phone available to only a fraction of your existing customer base a good move?
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    I agree. They started with a carrier that doesn't have an installed base of webOS 1.4x users so they can get experience with it before starting on the massive task of updating the existing Pre and Pixi users. That will be a massive task.

I remember when phones couldn't be updated and you bought another one to get new features. In the modern day of OTA updates by google, apple, palm, etc... there are a lot of moving parts required to make those updates smooth and uneventful. I wouldn't be surprised if 2.x has several updates before it starts coming to existing users, as they identify issues in 2.x that would create big problems if they weren't fixed before releasing it to the rest of us.
    I don't see it. How is making your flagship phone available to only a fraction of your existing customer base a good move?
    the Palm Pre 2 is not their flagship phone. Just because its the first phone we have seen since the merge, dosent mean so, hence the continue reference from HP directly on "new devices, and smartphones 2011".

A flagship is the lead ship in a fleet of vessels, a designation given on account of being either the largest, fastest, newest, most heavily armed or, for publicity purposes, the best known.

with the pre 2 only being one of these things.
    The phone should have and would have been out in Summer 2010, but was delayed for obvious reasons. Putting it out in France serves many purposes. Non the least of which is fixing bugs in WebOs 2.0 prior to going live with the original user base.

Or, it means they needed a new base in France, and went with their latest device that was already in the wings.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    the Palm Pre 2 is not their flagship phone. Just because its the first phone we have seen since the merge, dosent mean so, hence the continue reference from HP directly on "new devices, and smartphones 2011".
    But, see, now we're going back into fantasy mode. What's their flagship phone? The rumored "smallest smartphone ever made?" The rumored phone with a "5" screen?" The whole premise of this thread is that HP's best available smartphone -- the Pre 2 -- is not available on any US carrier and people are trying to say mikah is wrong for suggesting that HP is unable to entice Verizon, Sprint, and AT&T into carrying it.
    I think you're choosing not to see it. You may not agree, but there validity to the arguments that are being made.

If there is no OTA available for WebOS 2.0 yet, the existing customer base would likely be put off.

The Pre 2 was (is?) probably initially available in limited quantities.

It's also probable (and even likely) that Verizon and Sprint both wanted to see how build quality was on the new devices "in the wild".

There are any number of reasons.
    I am perfectly willing to wait to see what their "flagship" phone is. I am hoping that we have flagship phones, not phone. I should mention that I was about to use my upgrade as Sprint, but chose to wait...

I think a WebOs phone will be here soon.

If there is no OTA available for WebOS 2.0 yet, the existing customer base would likely be put off.

The Pre 2 was (is?) probably initially available in limited quantities.
    So now we're in the worst of both worlds; webOS 2.0 isn't available for legacy devices and existing customers can't upgrade to a phone capable of running it without buying it unsubsidized.
    But, see, now we're going back into fantasy mode. What's their flagship phone? The rumored "smallest smartphone ever made?" The rumored phone with a "5" screen?" The whole premise of this thread is that HP's best available smartphone -- the Pre 2 -- is not available on any US carrier and people are trying to say mikah is wrong for suggesting that HP is unable to entice Verizon, Sprint, and AT&T into carrying it.
    Maybe I misread the title - I thought the premise of the thread was that not only is it not currently available on US carriers, but that it's not "coming stateside. Ever."

The former is unarguably correct. The latter, I think, is way off the mark.

As a matter of fact, I'm not much of a gambler, but I'm willing to take bets that it will.
    Is it selling like hotcakes in France? That's where it's out right? France?
    So now we're in the worst of both worlds; webOS 2.0 isn't available for legacy devices and existing customers can't upgrade to a phone capable of running it without buying it unsubsidized.
    I think the biggest problem is that Apple has changed the game too much. Used to be that people were patient to wait out their contract for a new phone. One new phone every two years kinda stinks, but i would rather HP/PALM do it right this time than have the Pre2 now.

Yep. That's what happens sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    the Palm Pre 2 is not their flagship phone....

A flagship is the lead ship in a fleet of vessels, a designation given on account of being either the largest, fastest, newest, most heavily armed or, for publicity purposes, the best known.

with the pre 2 only being one of these things.
    I agree. In a military analogy, the Pre2 is in the point position. That means likely first contact with the enemy, and most likely to step om a landmine.

They need to have a fleet to have a flagship, and we are hopeful that they will introduce a fleet of new hotness at CES.

BTW, it was confirmed elsewhere that Palm has a large venue reserved at CES, as you would expect for major launch events and parties. We will know more in just a few weeks, but I think it's clear that the title of this tread is suggesting something that isn't very likely.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    Is it selling like hotcakes in France? That's where it's out right? France?
    Pre 2 devices on ebay France: I've seen 3 since it came out.

So either they're very pleased or no one wants it.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Pre 2 devices on ebay France: I've seen 3 since it came out.

So either they're very pleased or no one wants it.
    I mean are there any actual sales or at least estimated sales figures by people that evaluate companies for a living. like investment research or something? Being on ebay doesn't really tell me much about sales numbers. They could sell 1 or 1 million regardless how how many are on ebay.

This is what i'm looking for:
    http://www.androidcentral.com/lgs-op...lion-sold-mark
    this is statement of how the LG Optimus sold. (2 Mill by the way)

So i really meant less about general sentiment and more the specific question of Is there any number reported on France sales of the Palm Pre 2? Actually i'd be curious to know sales for any country outside of the U.S.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 12/13/2010 at 03:31 PM.
    I don't think any smartphone manufacturer would intentionally avoid having a retail presence. Do you?
    HP controls 12% of US consumer electronics shelf space right now. I believe that was a quote from one of the Palm folks at the Dev. day in NYC. If I remember correctly it was one of Roy Sutton's tweets during the two days.

Keep in mind I am pushing my 41 year old memory to its limits... so allow me a little measure of deference here.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast