Results 1 to 20 of 20
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rwhitby
  1.    #1  
    I'm about to buy a Pre 2 for use in Australia. I have a friend in the US that is going to activate it for me, before sending the phone down under.

    Can someone please explain how the Simon Malls gift card system works?

    Thanks
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
  2. #2  
    They are basically pre-paid American Express or Visa cards. They can be used at any store that accepts those credit cards.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    They are basically pre-paid American Express or Visa cards. They can be used at any store that accepts those credit cards.
    So you can order one online via any international credit card (paypal maybe??) and they ship you the card, which you can use to buy paid apps?

    Is buying an app with this card straight forward?
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
  4. bnceo's Avatar
    Posts
    533 Posts
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Editor02 View Post
    I'm about to buy a Pre 2 for use in Australia. I have a friend in the US that is going to activate it for me, before sending the phone down under.

    Can someone please explain how the Simon Malls gift card system works?

    Thanks
    Simon Malls cards can ONLY be used at Simon malls I believe. Better off getting a Visa gift card.
  5. #5  
    According to their website, it looks like the Simon card can be used anywhere Visa or American Express is accepted. So it is a Visa gift card. (Don't get the American Express card; I don't believe that it is accepted for the app catalog.) It looks like it can be ordered online.

    Gift Cards €“ Give Simon Malls Giftcards
    Last edited by bevcraw; 12/11/2010 at 06:00 PM.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by bnceo View Post
    Simon Malls cards can ONLY be used at Simon malls I believe. Better off getting a Visa gift card.
    This is a solution that many of our international users have said DOES work for the U.S. app catalog. Ie Rod Whitby and GuyFromNam notably.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by bnceo View Post
    Simon Malls cards can ONLY be used at Simon malls I believe. Better off getting a Visa gift card.
    Nope. As pastorrich said, a couple people here have used them repeatedly and they work.

    But you need to have someone in the US that you can trust to reload the card.
    Arthur Thornton

    Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  8.    #8  
    ok thanks, but nothing special I need to get my friend to do (in the US) before my Pre hits Australia?
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
  9. #9  
    You need to get someone with a US credit card and a US address and phone number to purchase a Gift Card for you.

    It's a debit card, so you don't get access to their bank account or their credit card, and they have no risk of you spending anything other than the initial amount you have given them in advance to set up the card.

    Then they give you the numbers and address and phone number they used, and you put it into your webOS App Catalog client.

    -- Rod
    Rnp likes this.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Editor02 View Post
    ok thanks, but nothing special I need to get my friend to do (in the US) before my Pre hits Australia?
    As long as your friend activates it in the USA for you, you'll have full App Catalog access. But it needs to be activated through a cellular network (and your friend can use a prepaid AT&T gophone SIM to activate it if your friend doesn't have a SIM with data) to get App Catalog access.
    Arthur Thornton

    Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    As long as your friend activates it in the USA for you, you'll have full App Catalog access. But it needs to be activated through a cellular network (and your friend can use a prepaid AT&T gophone SIM to activate it if your friend doesn't have a SIM with data) to get App Catalog access.
    Unfortunately he doesn't have an AT&T Data Sim, but in my other Precentral.net topic, it has been discussed, and he will just be taking it into an AT&T Store and they will do it for him.
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ional-use.html

    Thanks.
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
  12. #12  
    My question about Simon Malls Cards:
    #1 You buy it online and give an USA address, ok.
    #2 But someone in this USA address must activate the card or send you the numbers and security numbers (printed only in the card) to you, right?
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by jossanaijr View Post
    My question about Simon Malls Cards:
    #1 You buy it online and give an USA address, ok.
    #2 But someone in this USA address must activate the card or send you the numbers and security numbers (printed only in the card) to you, right?
    That is correct. When you buy it, you need a US credit card too, so you end up having to PayPal the person in the US and have them buy it for you.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  14. gregp's Avatar
    Posts
    265 Posts
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    #14  
    So you can't buy it with PayPal?
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    So you can't buy it with PayPal?
    Not that I know of. Have you looked at Simon Malls - Shopping Malls, Mall Stores, Gift Cards ?

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  16. gregp's Avatar
    Posts
    265 Posts
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    #16  
    Yeah I did but wasn't interested in creating an account just to check it out. I also hoped I could purchase the device from HP US using PayPal to avoid having to get a gift card but not sure if that would work?
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    Yeah I did but wasn't interested in creating an account just to check it out. I also hoped I could purchase the device from HP US using PayPal to avoid having to get a gift card but not sure if that would work?
    HP's Pre 2 purchase website only accepts Credit Cards with a US billing address and a US shipping address.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  18. gregp's Avatar
    Posts
    265 Posts
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    HP's Pre 2 purchase website only accepts Credit Cards with a US billing address and a US shipping address.

    -- Rod
    HP's website definitely shows PayPal as a payment option in checkout for me, which is why I queried this... unless I misunderstood you?
    Attached Images Attached Images
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    HP's website definitely shows PayPal as a payment option in checkout for me, which is why I queried this... unless I misunderstood you?
    Perhaps it's only the $250 discounted coupon area which does not accept PayPal. Let us know how you go.

    -- Rod
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Perhaps it's only the $250 discounted coupon area which does not accept PayPal. Let us know how you go.

    -- Rod
    That's also the home & home office store that he's using. We had to use the Small & Medium Business store.
    Arthur Thornton

    Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions