webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre 2 > Contacts added to Pre 2 won't sync to google contacts
Contacts added to Pre 2 won't sync to google contacts

Old 12/10/2010, 03:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Since I started to use Pre 2 I'm a bit scared about my contacts.
I use standalone Google Contacts to keep my "in the air" contacts.

So I created on Pre new account for Google. All contacts were downloaded properly from Google Contacts and now I have them all on my Pre.

But... When I change, add or delete contact on Pre it won't sync with Google Contacts. No changes are done in that account.

In opposite way it works. When I add, change or delete contact in Google Contacts all changes are synchronized and I can see them in my contacts on Pre.

So it works only in one directrion: from Google to Pre. Not from Pre to Google!

Any ideas what to do with that?
Old 12/10/2010, 04:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

Make sure you have your Google account set as the default in the Contacts app preferences on your Pre 2. It uses Palm Profile by default.
pastorich1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2010, 04:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

I did it. My default account is Google. But still changes done on Gooogle are visable on Pre, changes done on Pre are going nowhere...
Old 12/10/2010, 06:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Very weird. Sounds like you need to start all over I would think.
Greg Mair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2010, 09:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

as far as I know it does not automatically updates when you change something on the phone. . How long have waited for it to update?
jusegozu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2010, 09:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

When I do update on Google and than click "sync now" updates are done at once. In few seconds. But chanes done on phone are not visable on Google even after few days. So for me it looks that it work only one way = from Google Contact to Phone Contacts and not reverse.
Old 12/10/2010, 11:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

i have this issue too. no problem on my palm pre origional running webos 1.x
chrislo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2010, 04:41 AM   #8 (permalink)

i am thinking of doctoring. shall i? contacts are really not syncing and that google is already the default contact.
Old 12/11/2010, 10:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

well doctoring didn't help. i did the following

ok i did more testing.

i added a second google account(with 0 contacts) on top of my existing one that won't sycn phone --> cloud

I made the second google account the default contact account for new contacts.

and i starting adding new contacts. this time the phone is syncing to the cloud no problem.

and when i try to switch back to the first account as default, it won't sync changes to the cloud again.

so i have a problem google account that won't work with the pre2.

this account has 1850 contacts.

doing further testing now.
Old 12/12/2010, 12:12 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislo View Post
well doctoring didn't help. i did the following

ok i did more testing.

i added a second google account(with 0 contacts) on top of my existing one that won't sycn phone --> cloud

I made the second google account the default contact account for new contacts.

and i starting adding new contacts. this time the phone is syncing to the cloud no problem.

and when i try to switch back to the first account as default, it won't sync changes to the cloud again.

so i have a problem google account that won't work with the pre2.

this account has 1850 contacts.

doing further testing now.
Can't you export those contacts out of that account and then import them into the new account?
pastorich1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2010, 06:44 AM   #11 (permalink)

Try removing your Google account from both Contacts and Calendar, and create the account again. It worked for me.
skyeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by kbywal, Pelcu
Old 12/12/2010, 08:26 AM   #12 (permalink)

THANKS skyeo!
I did as you advise and now it syncs with Google Contacts both way from Palm to google.com/contacts and from google.com/contacts to Palm.

But I had to do exactly as you said: remove Google account form Contacts level not from Palm accounts settings tab. Restart my Pre. Than from palm Contacts / Preferences & Accounts I added Google account again.
Thanked By: kbywal
Old 01/25/2011, 07:27 PM   #13 (permalink)

Hi Pelcu, I have this issue also in calendar app (pre2), have you seen it there?
rcereghino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/2011, 04:26 AM   #14 (permalink)

I have done everything suggested in this thread and more. Contacts entered on my Pre 2, webOS 2.0.1 still don't sync.

- After removing the accounts, both in contacts and from accounts, all contacts remained in my Pre
- After switching off backup and switching it on again, all contacts were still there on my Pre
- Removing my other Google accounts did not help
- Booting in between and syncing manually did not help
- The contacts clearly were not on other accounts since Palm and Sim reported about 10 contacts out of >2000

I decided to wait half a day, and after that wait all contacts were indeed gone.
- I reentered account info, for contacts, email and Calender (all Google), and they started to fill up again
- Tried just one contact phone number change, waited 2 days and it still has not changed on Google

Any other suggestions or experience to share?
Dick99999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/2011, 08:29 AM   #15 (permalink)

I am an owner of 1 palm pre, 3 palm pixi, and one palm pre 2.

Syncing in palm webos 1.4.5 is PERFECT.

And i can confirm it's a problem with webos 2.0.
I have tried numerous fixes adding deleting accounts. I got it to sync 2 way for a while after some long winded fixes but after which the problem of data entered to Pre2 not syncing to google resurfaced. changes on pre also won't sync to google. and even a but that creates multiple instances of the same contact.

I have decided to wait until the next update. No point stressing. I am sure it's not fixable with any doctors or resets. There is obviously a bug in the firmware. I suspect that's why webos2.0 is not rolled out to other devices too.

Mine is an unlocked UK palm pre 2.

Chris
Old 01/28/2011, 08:36 AM   #16 (permalink)

unfortunately for this i have seen no confirmation from HP about this issue. and i also am not sure how i can let them know about this.(except for website but there is no confirmation either)

So i have no idea weather it's only my problem or not. Glad to see Dick99999 posting such issues as well.

While you are at it see if your headset works? mine creates echo sound on the other person's side.(also seems to be an issue when i read from the forums)

Chris
Old 01/28/2011, 12:17 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelcu View Post
THANKS skyeo!
I did as you advise and now it syncs with Google Contacts both way from Palm to google.com/contacts and from google.com/contacts to Palm.

But I had to do exactly as you said: remove Google account form Contacts level not from Palm accounts settings tab. Restart my Pre. Than from palm Contacts / Preferences & Accounts I added Google account again.
This worked on my Pre2 as well. Many thanks ! (I noticed that after a contact is modified from google contacts, the problem to sync contacts between Pre2 and google re-occurred. Until this is solved by Palm I would suggest not to edit contacts from google contacts, only on the device).

Last edited by kbywal; 01/28/2011 at 02:16 PM.
kbywal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/2011, 08:18 PM   #18 (permalink)

wait for a longer period and see if it still syncs. mine synced fine initially including modified contacts from google contacts. until one day suddenly it won't sync again.

dick9999:
the way i got it to sync perfectly was a bit long winded. i backed up google contacts. deleted everything from my contacts.

deleted the backup(turn off backup) on the pre2.

doctor the palm pre 2.
re added the account. (with no contacts)
test 2 way sync.

slowly copy the old contacts back into google.

observe the sync.

it was all ok.

but all this effort was wasted now it won't sync again. very hard to find the cause.
Old 01/29/2011, 06:03 AM   #19 (permalink)

Reading this post got me worried about my contact details. I am not concerned about a thin app catalog and lack of gimmicks, but reliable contact and calender data are critical to my business.

After I found out about the google contact sync issue reading this post, I have tried to clean things up.

Something I noticed earlier was that the number in the circle indicating the number of accounts is often incorrect, as seen in this screen shot.

contacts_2011-28-01_184516-1.PNG

After removing all gmail accounts in the contacts, calender and email as well as the accounts app, the contacts are still in the phone. Sometimes it now indicates that the contact is not from any profile at all...

contacts_2011-29-01_121535.png

After editing one of those contacts and then opening it again it did apparently delete the contact resulting in this strange contact.

contacts_2011-29-01_113608.png

I feel that the more I try to clean things up, the more I scramble up the contacts. The fact that now the star symbol for favorites has disappeared does not help...

contacts_2011-29-01_122641.png

I hope this is fixed in one of the next updates, because this I cannot live with (or make a living with) for long.

Paul
paul.vd.spek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2011, 07:50 AM   #20 (permalink)

yes, i just dont' try to fix. it's definiely a screwed up database. make a back up in your google.

Tags
contacts, google, synchronizing

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0