Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

    I've just bought my new Palm Pre 2. WebOS is really cool, but I'm having an issue. As I am in a "non-deployed" country (Portugal), my app catalog is very "limited", only with access to few free apps.

    Since 3 days ago the problem got worst. No applications at all. From Palm support I got the info that they cannot do anything, due to the fact we are in Portugal (despite using Vodafone).

    So, after a few searches around here I could not find a solution, so I've decided to ask if anyone can help:

    - To access to full catalogue (any trick to emulate profile from another country?)
    - At least access to free apps

    Having WebOs without Catalog is no fun at all...

    Thanks for your help
    Manuel
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by manel29 View Post
    Hi,

    I've just bought my new Palm Pre 2. WebOS is really cool, but I'm having an issue. As I am in a "non-deployed" country (Portugal), my app catalog is very "limited", only with access to few free apps.

    Since 3 days ago the problem got worst. No applications at all. From Palm support I got the info that they cannot do anything, due to the fact we are in Portugal (despite using Vodafone).

    So, after a few searches around here I could not find a solution, so I've decided to ask if anyone can help:

    - To access to full catalogue (any trick to emulate profile from another country?)
    - At least access to free apps

    Having WebOs without Catalog is no fun at all...

    Thanks for your help
    Manuel
    Unfortunately since you have already activated there is nothing you can do. You should have read THIS first.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Unfortunately since you have already activated there is nothing you can do. You should have read THIS first.
    OK...Thanks for the info..I think I have to live with Preware options for now...
  4. #4  
    any chance you could return it and activate the replacement in a supported country? I don't know how palm handles this stuff. I still am amazed that they don't have one catalog that is available everywhere. It seems th make things more complicated for them and for us.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    any chance you could return it and activate the replacement in a supported country? I don't know how palm handles this stuff. I still am amazed that they don't have one catalog that is available everywhere. It seems th make things more complicated for them and for us.
    If he purchased it from HP, he can return it. But if he got it from e-bay (a dev day freebie sold for a profit) then he can't.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Since Palm continues to provide incorrect and misleading activation info, he could open a support ticket on those grounds and return the device for being a dumb-phone.
    Potentially a possibility, as long as it gets to someone who realizes the information is misleading and incorrect.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  7. antondat's Avatar
    Posts
    47 Posts
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    #7  
    I got the same problem when I am in Vietnam. I bought Palm pre 2 from ebay so that I could not return. Can anyone help us to access App catalog?

    Thanks
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by antondat View Post
    I got the same problem when I am in Vietnam. I bought Palm pre 2 from ebay so that I could not return. Can anyone help us to access App catalog?

    Thanks
    Unfortunately the setting that needs to be changed is on the Palm server side so not much we can do until they start thinking georestrictions is a bad idea.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

    www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
  9.    #9  
    I was able to manage to have access to a foreign country catalog (my phone "died" and I got a new one..then I follow the instructions to active it in "Spain", so I have access to this catalog!).
    Now, I have another issue that makes useless this access...It does not accept my credit card (I suppose it verifies origin country, which is Portugal). Does anyone have a clue on how can I overcome this one?
    Thanks,
    Manuel
  10. #10  
    Manuel,
    you can also try to use this app "IPK Fetcher". It's a java app that runs on the PC. It allows you to browse the full App Catalog and generate a dumb app package that you can install on the pre. This dumb app is generate with a version release that triggers the update to the real working app via OTA, even if not released for your country.
    Regards,
    Lorz
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Correction: all the free apps from all the different AppCat regions.
    Correct ;-)
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    You could try this virtual credit card if your country's supported: [url= - WIRECARD AG[/url]
    any more options? I've email them but no reply...
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by lorz View Post
    Manuel,
    you can also try to use this app "IPK Fetcher". It's a java app that runs on the PC. It allows you to browse the full App Catalog and generate a dumb app package that you can install on the pre. This dumb app is generate with a version release that triggers the update to the real working app via OTA, even if not released for your country.
    Regards,
    Lorz
    good tip. I'll try that. Nevertheless this not solve my issue to buy apps. Thanks
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    Unfortunately the setting that needs to be changed is on the Palm server side so not much we can do until they start thinking georestrictions is a bad idea.
    Believe me we realize this has been a sore subject and we have been working diligently on the issue.

    I'm not going to pretend to know the ins and outs of it all, but I know there are lots of legal grounds that have to be covered (yes even to offer free apps) and all that stuff.

    It's also important to us that we put out a fully working solution, not something that is half baked and put together over night.

    Until then we are stuck(and I use that word liberally) with the setup we have in place.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

    5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

    6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
  15. #15  
    I'm not sure about this, but what would happen if you downloaded the app through PreCentral? If you go to the home page and click "Apps", then pick an app to download, you'll be given a webOS link. So if you browse there on your phone, maybe that would work?

    I also wonder if maybe you could download the file to your computer and then figure out where to put it on your Pre using the USB cable. I don't know if the Pre would automatically install it or what once you disconnect the cable and the phone restarts.

    I have no idea if that helps at all, but thought I'd mention it anyway.
  16. #16  
    what if you delete your palm profile and create a new one, once your in an app catalog country ????

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions