1.    #1  
    So here is the question: how to get more national/special characters with #SYM button? For WebOs 2.xx.
    In details: I'm from Poland and we use characters which are not available by pressing #SYM. I believe that Polish is not the only one nation who needs more special characters available to write in national language. I'm missing just 2 characters for Polish: ą (Ą) and ś (Ś).
    I read on some other WebOS forum ang get to know that there is a way to exchange special character (SYM) TABLE on WebOS and than get missing special characters available for contacts, e-mails, SMS and Notes.

But how to do that? Maybe someone knows it and can solve this puzzle with step by step instruction (I'm completely newbee with WebOS)?
    Don't look for solution - look for EXIT!
    My Palm Pre 2 and TouchPad 32GB are waiting for useful updates and enhancements
    I don't know the answer, but you might want to post this question under the "Worldwide (GSM and CDMA)" section.

PalmOS: Zire71, Clie NX70V, LifeDrive, T|X
    WebOS: VZW Pixi Plus, now VZW PRE 2

Or you could visit the patches section and see who developed the smileys in symbol menu patch and ask them about editing the table with custom options. They would know.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  4.    #4  
    I did some more researches and:
    - I've found characters table file with polish characters updated. The file name is 'alternatechars_table.json'
    - found the instruction for WebOS 1.4.xx how to upload it to Pre using WebOS Quick Install (just to send file to specified directory)
    - Path to upload the file for WebOS 1.4.xx is: '/usr/palm/frameworks/mojo/submissions/347/resources/en_gb'

The problem is that number '347' in the path depends on WebOS version. This number is different for 1.4.1 and different for 1.4.5 for example. And of course will be different for 2.0 - if the whole path is not different!

I could check that path... with Internalz. ButInternalz are not working with WebOS 2.0.
    How to check the proper path than? I'm not Linux user so I even do not know how to run commands for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelcu View Post
    I did some more researches and:
    - I've found characters table file with polish characters updated. The file name is 'alternatechars_table.json'
    - found the instruction for WebOS 1.4.xx how to upload it to Pre using WebOS Quick Install (just to send file to specified directory)
    - Path to upload the file for WebOS 1.4.xx is: '/usr/palm/frameworks/mojo/submissions/347/resources/en_gb'

The problem is that number '347' in the path depends on WebOS version. This number is different for 1.4.1 and different for 1.4.5 for example. And of course will be different for 2.0 - if the whole path is not different!

I could check that path... with Internalz. ButInternalz are not working with WebOS 2.0.
    How to check the proper path than? I'm not Linux user so I even do not know how to run commands for it.
    Download the WebOS Dr. for your phone and make sure you change the .jar extension to a .zip extension. Then you can browse inside the Dr. to the resources folder then to the webos.tar file where you can verify the directory structure as it will appear on the particular webos install you are looking at.

EDIT... you will need an archive app like 7 zip to look inside the tar file.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks pastorrich1!
    In the meantime I learn some linux commands and now I can even list directory using WebQuickInstall Linux commandline.

I did first try uploading modified alternatechars_table.json and now my Pre hungs on some windows (system infor for example)

Trying to put old files back to system.
    Thanks pastorrich1!
    In the meantime I learn some linux commands and now I can even list directory using WebQuickInstall Linux commandline.

I did first try uploading modified alternatechars_table.json and now my Pre hungs on some windows (system infor for example)

Trying to put old files back to system.
    Go get the patch I mentioned and see what kind of modifications they made to the file to make it work.
  8.    #8  
    Probabbly I know the reason of hanging some windows after exchange files to modified ones.
    I do modify files using Windows Notepad. Than when come to file save there is a need to choose charset "encoding": ANSI, Unicode or UTF-8.
    When I choose UTF-8 - Device Info window hangs
    When I choose ANSI or Unicode - Device Info window works but newly added special characters are not available... looks like system pass over them.

Looks that either Windows Notepad is not right tool for .json files editing or wrong encoding is used for file save.

So now my issue is what App choose to properly Edit "alternatechars_table.json' and 'alternatechars_fulltable.json' files. And what type of encoding should be used?

EDIT: I'm 'smarter and smarter' everyday and now I know that to edit JSON files there is a need to use specific JSON files editors - not Notepad. Will do some testings and maybe finally I will get Polish special characters available with #SYM button. Or maybe you can advice good and easy to use JSON editor for Windows?
    Last edited by Pelcu; 12/12/2010 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Adding new findings
  9.    #9  
    Is there around here anyone who can edit JSON files? And would like to help me to add Polish special charas to "alternatechars_table.json' and 'alternatechars_fulltable.json' files?
    Is there around here anyone who can edit JSON files? And would like to help me to add Polish special charas to "alternatechars_table.json' and 'alternatechars_fulltable.json' files?
    Google is your friend..

json editor - Google Search

You can also register at the Palm Developer community and register for access to ARES. It has a built in editor.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Google is your friend..

json editor - Google Search

You can also register at the Palm Developer community and register for access to ARES. It has a built in editor.
    Yeah, I googled several JSON editors already. But I didn't find "standalone" editor for Windows or even online one that can be used uasily by layman (like me . Thay work as part of other "systems" (Eclipse for example). I'm not programmer or developer so I do not really understand what's going on inside JSON files.
    I can edit XML files with notepad or Dreamweaver. But cannot find similar solution for JSON. I don't wanna get acces to ARES I'm just looking for someone with some goodness in the heart who knows JSON, have right editor and knowledge and who can add some characters for 2 files...
    Path to upload the file for WebOS 1.4.xx is: '/usr/palm/frameworks/mojo/submissions/347/resources/en_gb'

The problem is that number '347' in the path depends on WebOS version.

The path in WebOS 2.0.0 is 362

The path in WebOS 2.0.1 is 363

TTB
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
    Yeah, I googled several JSON editors already. But I didn't find "standalone" editor for Windows or even online one that can be used uasily by layman (like me . Thay work as part of other "systems" (Eclipse for example). I'm not programmer or developer so I do not really understand what's going on inside JSON files.
    I can edit XML files with notepad or Dreamweaver. But cannot find similar solution for JSON. I don't wanna get acces to ARES I'm just looking for someone with some goodness in the heart who knows JSON, have right editor and knowledge and who can add some characters for 2 files...
    I used wordpad to complete the "helloworld" tutorial for the SDK. A standard text editor should work.
  14.    #14  
    Thanks to you both TopTongueBarry and pastorrich1.

Maybe you can help me a bit more than. Cause I'm lost with that - I do not know what I'm doing wrong. Looks that I do everything properly, but it do not works.

I use GB_EN regional settings in my Pre 2.

1. With WebOsQuickInstall I downloaded file 'alternatechars_table.json' from /usr/palm/frameworks/mojo/submissions/362/resources/en_gb/
    2. I did edit this file with windows notepad adding 1 special character in the line:
    before: {"keyCode": 90, "letter":"z", "list": ["ž","Ž","•"]}
    after: {"keyCode": 90, "letter":"z", "list": ["ź","ž","Ž","•"]}
    3. Save the file choosing UTF-8 encoding
    4. Upload file to Pre 2 to /usr/palm/frameworks/mojo/submissions/362/resources/en_gb/

And than some windows hangs - for example "Device Info" window never open. And special character just aded ("ź" in that example) is not available with "SYM + z". Even I restart the device (by removing battery) there is still the same behaviour - Device info hangs and no "ź" character available.

When I upload back genuine 'alternatechars_table.json' file than Pre starts to work properly.

So what I did wrong? Looks that this is quite easy to add additional signs/characters but it's not working the way I do that...
    Pelcu...I don't have hardware to test this out on....but I have a theory. Line endings in windows are different from linux/unix. One of them (I can't recall which is which) uses a line-feed-and-carriage-return, and the other uses just one of those (line feed I think). Microsoft makes this habit of trying to "help" you and changing line endings to what windows wants.

A hex editor (or a hex dump of the data in the file) may help you see this.

I'm afraid I don't have any editor suggestions up my sleeve....I usually "fix" these issues using unix command-line tools. But perhaps another visit to google and a fresh copy of the file will get you going.

Good luck!

.......Spiderwort
  16.    #16  
    hmmm... sounds resonable for me Spiderwort
    I will ask one of my friends who is programmer/developer and maybe he will advice me any editor. or maybe will be able even to edit the file himself. We will see.

When I find the solution I will drop the info here - maybe usefull for others.
  17.    #17  
    I finally managed Special characters availability on my Pre 2!

1st of all I found nice standelone JSON fles editor - thanks to Cypa (my friend - developer) It is called SciTE (to be downloaded from: Scintilla and SciTE)

2. Than I did download and install Palm PDK package which allows me to easily browse and add/remove files on my Pre 2 (using Nova-browser from the PDK package.) After PDK installation I have to re-install Novacom drivers (using WebOs Doctor) cause those in PDK package are quite old for WebOs 1.4.5

3. With Nova-browser I found that characters files are doubled in WebOs 2.0.0.
    - 1st set of characters Json files is located in /usr/palm/frameworks/mojo/submissions/362/resources/ (and /en_gb/ subfolder) - those are old files from 1.4.5 version. Changing them has no impact to what you use with SYM button
    - 2nd set is located in /usr/palm/frameworks/mojo2/submissions/90/resources/ (and /en/ subfolder)

3. Uploading modified 'alternatechars_fulltable.json' (to.../resources/) and "alternatechars_table.json' (to .../resources/en/) using 2nd path took effect.

Now I have all polish characters available with SYM button and letter specific characters available with SYM+letter.

And now I can even add more signs or characters, like ':P', 'xD' or even '-:*' which are missing right now with my SYM button.
    Congratulations Pelcu, you just made your own custom Patch! That is awesome.

You could package and submit it so it is available on Preware for other Polish users or build an app that lets users customize their own table.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  19.    #19  
    Thanks pastorrich1
    Nice idea, but i do not know (yet maybe) how to submit it to Preware and for sure I don't know how to build an App for WebOs. But I'm learning continuously :P
    You will get it... I am certain of it.