1.    #1  
    Wondering if the Pre 2 still has the design flaw that the origional Pre had with speaker collecting metal and blowing the speaker.
    Sometime you are the ball; sometimes you are the pins.
    The speaker looks the same to me. I wasn't aware of this flaw.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Quote Originally Posted by atl10pnr View Post
    Wondering if the Pre 2 still has the design flaw that the origional Pre had with speaker collecting metal and blowing the speaker.
    My Pre plus has never had this issue. I haven't heard about this one before? Link?
    This is alien to me, none of my pres had this issue and the Pre2 I've seen don't either. Be sure to confuse design flaw with manufacturer flaw.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Quote Originally Posted by atl10pnr View Post
    It looks the same. I put a piece of surgical tape over it, as I did with my other Pres.

Edit: And the speakers aren't necessarily blown by metal filings getting through the speaker grille. Mine could be cleaned with a tiny screwdriver and a bit of patience.

Visor -> m515 -> Treo 650 -> HTC TyTnII -> Treo 750 -> Treo Pro -> Prē -> Prē Plus -> Prē 2

WebOS Patches: Ringer switch icon in Top bar, Disable LightBar, Week Numbers in Calendar (ISO 8601)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Spakler View Post
    My Pre plus has never had this issue. I haven't heard about this one before? Link?
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...d-up-gahh.html

Visor -> m515 -> Treo 650 -> HTC TyTnII -> Treo 750 -> Treo Pro -> Prē -> Prē Plus -> Prē 2

WebOS Patches: Ringer switch icon in Top bar, Disable LightBar, Week Numbers in Calendar (ISO 8601)
    As I was calling the insurance company with regards to the spacebar that likes to put double spaces, triple spaces or no spaces as of the last 3-4 weeks, lo and behold I notice another blown speaker (as I was on speakerphone at the time). Pre #4 on the way now. Maybe they'll send a Pre2 by accident, but I doubt it. Wishful thinking.
    LOL.. it was sooo funny to go and read how nearly all of those people work in areas where particulate metal is constantly in the air.

Since a speakers vibration is necessary to produce sound, it only stands to reason that any object(s) that impede that vibration will reduce sound volume and quality. Metal shavings and particles that are attracted to the magnets in the speakers qualify as those types of objects.

So for those people... yes the Pre 2 speaker will be the same.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    I'm one of those people who works in a machine shop.. When all of my friends who work with me have Android phones of all types the work just fine in the machine shop environment .. I like the original poster consider this a design flaw.
    I just had mine replaced today .. $35+ down the tube on a 5 month old phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by kdiver58 View Post
    I'm one of those people who works in a machine shop.. When all of my friends who work with me have Android phones of all types the work just fine in the machine shop environment .. I like the original poster consider this a design flaw.
    I just had mine replaced today .. $35+ down the tube on a 5 month old phone.
    Have you looked at their speakers and speaker covers to see what the difference is that makes the Palm phone speakers fail and the others not?
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Have you looked at their speakers and speaker covers to see what the difference is that makes the Palm phone speakers fail and the others not?
    I would say it could be the Touchstone, but I know I sometimes have mine on it for 12 hours a day and my speaker is still perfect. But mine is also always portrait on the TS, so it could be a landscape TS issue.

Or it could just be the speaker.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    No I haven't but that's a good idea. My guess is it's speaker/magnet placement with no membrane to keep metal dust out.

I've never used a touchstone at work.