Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 47
  1.    #1  
    HI guys,

    I bought a Palm Pre 2 from the US stupidly without doing my research and only found out I cant get 3G reception here without switching to Telstra. I am wondering if theres any way you can convert UMTS 1900 to UMTS 2100 so it will work in 3G.
  2. #2  
    Nope. Different radio board.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  3. #3  
    Return it and get the EU Pre 2
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

    www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
  4. #4  
    Yep, if you bought it from HP you can return it.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  5.    #5  
    Well it was originally bought from hp .. but I personally bought it from ebay. How would I return it?
  6. #6  
    Sell it?
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by r4iz0r View Post
    Well it was originally bought from hp .. but I personally bought it from ebay. How would I return it?
    It was likely one of the free devices given to the attendees at the Palm Dev Day in New York City. You won't be able to return that to HP.

    Your best bet would be to re-sell it or change carriers so you can use it there with 3G. You could use it on 2G, my Pre2 is for development but I do have a T-mobile SIM in it and only get 2G, it's ok.... but not really what I would want to have to deal with all the time.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by r4iz0r View Post
    HI guys,

    I bought a Palm Pre 2 from the US stupidly without doing my research and only found out I cant get 3G reception here without switching to Telstra. I am wondering if theres any way you can convert UMTS 1900 to UMTS 2100 so it will work in 3G.
    There was a suggestion recently that Vodaphone has set up a new network of 850MHz transmitters which I think would work with your phone. dbmgreen was the one posting about it.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    There was a suggestion recently that Vodaphone has set up a new network of 850MHz transmitters which I think would work with your phone. dbmgreen was the one posting about it.
    A quick look around over on the Whirlpool shows that Vodafone (and 3) are moving into the 850mhz bands in the cities to help cover the gaps in the 2100mhz network.

    So if you're with Vodafone or 3, you won't be on EDGE all the time at least.
    Australian Apple fan
    Wannabe webOS developer, Multimedia designer & UI designer

    I have some app ideas, but really need to get a better handle of how this jscript stuff works!
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by mickykitsune View Post
    A quick look around over on the Whirlpool shows that Vodafone (and 3) are moving into the 850mhz bands in the cities to help cover the gaps in the 2100mhz network.

    So if you're with Vodafone or 3, you won't be on EDGE all the time at least.
    Are you saying that in a few months US Pre 2s will work on Vodafone at 3G speeds? or in between? sorry i'm not particularly good with the "megahertz" and "bands" etc. :P
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
  11. #11  
    only if you are in reception range of a tower vodafone/3 have installed the 850mz equipment which will be major cities only
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwit View Post
    only if you are in reception range of a tower vodafone/3 have installed the 850mz equipment which will be major cities only
    Interesting...I'll look into that, thanks
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Editor02 View Post
    Interesting...I'll look into that, thanks
    From an article back in October?
    Vodafone Hutchison Australia (VHA) today announced major new network investments, strengthening the
    Vodafone 3G network in and around cities and towns across Australia.
    We are creating a stronger, better network for our customers, which will deliver a superior customer experience and support ever increasing levels of data usage and expanded areas of coverage, said Nigel Dews, CEO of VHA. We have already invested over $550million in our network and there is much more planned.

    Following the merger of Vodafone and 3 in 2009, the company has undertaken an extensive review of its network assets against the growth planned and customer needs.
    The Vodafone and 3 networks will merge into a single network making full use of VHAs base stations, core network, spectrum assets and global strategic vendor relationships. Investments include:

    1,500 sites on a new 850MHz network with 350 sites already turned on and a further 50 expected to
    be live before the end of next month, providing more in building coverage and additional capacity for
    areas where data demand from smartphones and mobile broadband is high and growing.
    1,400 new sites on the 3G network including 900 in capital cities to deepen network coverage.
    500 new regional sites to support regional expansion and strengthen our city fringe and regional
    coverage.
    Femto cells. Trials are currently underway with our first business customers expected before
    Christmas. Femto cells will be commercially available at scale for businesses and consumers to get low cost, more flexible coverage into offices and homes in 2011.

    See also

    http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum....cfm?t=1558974

    http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum....cfm?t=1443022
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

  14. #14  
    cheers, hopefully that is a good alternative to telstra. also to note, crazy johns is 3/vodafone too.
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
  15. #15  
    Honestly, the difference between EDGE and 3G is...not that big as far as download rates.

    Plus, EDGE saves a LOT more battery than 3G. That is why I have my Pre in Canada hacked to always stay on EDGE.

    food for thought.
  16. #16  
    well it beats TPG Australia having only 2G
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post

    1,500 sites on a new 850MHz network with 350 sites already turned on and a further 50 expected to
    be live before the end of next month, providing more in building coverage and additional capacity for
    areas where data demand from smartphones and mobile broadband is high and growing.
    1,400 new sites on the 3G network including 900 in capital cities to deepen network coverage.

    Wow, so they're moving onto both of Telstra's spectrums! Awesome ^_^
    Australian Apple fan
    Wannabe webOS developer, Multimedia designer & UI designer

    I have some app ideas, but really need to get a better handle of how this jscript stuff works!
  18.    #18  
    switching to vodafone is a good option but I was wondering if its possible to change anything inside to make the palm pre 2100 mhz compatible. I have a friend in phone repairs. Would you have to change the entire motherboard or is there a chip that determines the frequency bands.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by r4iz0r View Post
    switching to vodafone is a good option but I was wondering if its possible to change anything inside to make the palm pre 2100 mhz compatible. I have a friend in phone repairs. Would you have to change the entire motherboard or is there a chip that determines the frequency bands.
    If I understand it correctly it would require a new radio (comm board).
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  20.    #20  
    Yeah thats fine, but is it possible to change the radio board (to the european one) without bricking the phone. And is it possible to buy the european radio board?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions