Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    There are some phones that do work worldwide for 3G, but even then, they don't work on every UMTS frequency.

The ones that work that way are pentaband devices, such as the Nokia N8 and the iPhone4 (there are probably more now). I would hope that Palm's next GSM devices are pentaband UMTS, or at least quadband UMTS.
    GASP, did ya have to tell everyone the Fruitphone4 is a pentaband UTMS device? This could only lead to one result, more defectors!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
  2.    #42  
    Ponying up the cash for an EU pre wouldnt be the only problem. I would also need to send that EU pre to US to activate it there. If the IMEI is in the comms board then it seems like an easier option for me would be to find an EU pre- that was activated in the states (so i can get US app catalog access)
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    By the time you find it, you wil have invested more time, than shipping back and forth 10 Pres would cost.
    Considering his situation, I'd recommend he sells the US Pre 2 and ponys up for the cost of an EU Pre 2, unless he's willing to switch to Telstra.

Whatever device he ends up with, one thing is for sure. If he wants the US app catalog he's got to activate it in the USA.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
  4.    #44  
    its a bit of a catch 22.. i'm in.. i already lost around $200 - $300, buying an EU pre 2 is not an option now because i might as well just wait what comes out next and deal with this phone (probably switch to vodafone).. I could try get a comm board from an EU pre 2 thats been activated in the states although chances of that are next to nothing
    The other option is to just use it on EDGE and put up with the slower data speeds... as far as calls and messaging goes, it wont be any different. And if you can get yourself onto wifi hotspots, it wont really be too big a deal either.
    Australian Apple fan
    Wannabe webOS developer, Multimedia designer & UI designer

I have some app ideas, but really need to get a better handle of how this jscript stuff works!
  6.    #46  
    Just had another thought..

If i took a unactivated EU Palm Pre-.. removed the comm board (without activating it), put it in a Palm Pre 2 in the US, created a Profile, then put it in my own Palm pre 2, would over the air updates issue be solved then?
    Quote Originally Posted by r4iz0r View Post
    Just had another thought..

If i took a unactivated EU Palm Pre-.. removed the comm board (without activating it), put it in a Palm Pre 2 in the US, created a Profile, then put it in my own Palm pre 2, would over the air updates issue be solved then?
    Possibly. Untested yet.

Still need to activate the first time in the USA if you want US app catalog.

Why spend the time and money for all this, just sell the US Pre 2 and buy an EU Pre 2, unless you know someone with a brand new unactivated EU Greman Pre that will give it to you for free ... That's the only way I can see this effort being worthwhile for you with the limited resources you've indicated you have .. other than for the advancement of knowledge gained by it and for testing purposes.
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 12/21/2010 at 02:45 PM.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123