Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 47
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by r4iz0r View Post
    Yeah thats fine, but is it possible to change the radio board (to the european one) without bricking the phone. And is it possible to buy the european radio board?
    The Dr file is the same for both EU and NA Pre 2's right now. So, I would GUESS that yes it is possible to swap without bricking the phone.

    Buying it... I doubt you can buy it by itself. You would have to find an EU Pre 2 that is broke to get it at a decent price. Otherwise why not just buy the EU model in the first place?
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    And don't forget if you buy a broken EU Pre, its modem will most likely be tied to one of the EU AppCats. So, no way of buying apps from Australia.
    Ahhh... good point... I didn't even think of that.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  3.    #23  
    well this all originally started with me buying a North American pre stupidly thinking that it would work fine all over the world since every other high end phone does. I will go down the path of buying a european pre if i have to, but that means I have to sell my pre, get a european phone shipped to US for activation and then here. I'm just trying to find an alternative. Plus my phone has been already activated in the US.

    I was under the impression the app catalog is tied into the imei number of the phone (which is tied into the phones motherboard). Thus, changing the radio board the phones imei number would still stay the same but it would just pick up different frequencies?
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by r4iz0r View Post
    well this all originally started with me buying a North American pre stupidly thinking that it would work fine all over the world since every other high end phone does. I will go down the path of buying a european pre if i have to, but that means I have to sell my pre, get a european phone shipped to US for activation and then here. I'm just trying to find an alternative. Plus my phone has been already activated in the US.

    I was under the impression the app catalog is tied into the imei number of the phone (which is tied into the phones motherboard). Thus, changing the radio board the phones imei number would still stay the same but it would just pick up different frequencies?
    The easiest option to get 3G.... switch to Telstra or Vodafone (where they have those frequencies).

    And every other high end North American GSM phone works just like the Pre 2. If it gets 3G in the U.S. it get's 2G/Edge nearly everywhere else. If it get's 3G nearly everywhere else, it only get's 2G/Edge in the U.S.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    The easiest option to get 3G.... switch to Telstra or Vodafone (where they have those frequencies).

    And every other high end North American GSM phone works just like the Pre 2. If it gets 3G in the U.S. it get's 2G/Edge nearly everywhere else. If it get's 3G nearly everywhere else, it only get's 2G/Edge in the U.S.
    There are some phones that do work worldwide for 3G, but even then, they don't work on every UMTS frequency.

    The ones that work that way are pentaband devices, such as the Nokia N8 and the iPhone4 (there are probably more now). I would hope that Palm's next GSM devices are pentaband UMTS, or at least quadband UMTS.
    Arthur Thornton

    Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    There are some phones that do work worldwide for 3G, but even then, they don't work on every UMTS frequency.

    The ones that work that way are pentaband devices, such as the Nokia N8 and the iPhone4 (there are probably more now). I would hope that Palm's next GSM devices are pentaband UMTS, or at least quadband UMTS.
    Thanks, I did not know that.



    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by r4iz0r View Post
    Yeah thats fine, but is it possible to change the radio board (to the european one) without bricking the phone. And is it possible to buy the european radio board?
    It is possible to do but would require the 2100 board. It would be much less hassle to just sell the one you bought and buy the EU Pre 2. It's amazing, the things that could be avoided with a quick search of the forums.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by r4iz0r View Post
    Yeah thats fine, but is it possible to change the radio board (to the european one) without bricking the phone. And is it possible to buy the european radio board?
    Yes, and yes

    Your next question, where you'll be able to find and buy an EU comms board from a Pre/Pre +/Pre 2 ? ----------- > Ebay!

    Think about this:
    unlocked German Pre's (the originals) are a dime a dozen on ebay. Buy one of those with a broken LCD. You can find those on eBay easily enough and swap the comms boards.

    Here's an offer for you:
    I'll buy every one of those original German broken LCD Palm Pre's with the NA comms boards out of an Unlocked NA Pre 2 inside them from PreCentral members for exactly what was paid for the German Pre. Your comms board swap is now FREE if you choose to accept my offer. Of course I'll pay for shipping it to me in the USA as well. PM me with price, and details necessary to complete the deal if you want to take me up on this offer!

    This offer applies to Original German Pre's with broken LCD's used for the comms board swap outs with NA (USA) Pre 2's as long as the NA comms board out of the Pre 2 is included with the German Pre I am purchasing from you.

    Additionally, I'm willing to consider purchasing your fully functional German Pre's without broken LCD's used for the comms board swap out as long as the NA comms board is included with my EU German Pre. I offer no guarantee on how many of these fully functional QWERTZ kb hybrid devices I will take. That will be dependent on the eBay purchase price price/amount you're willing to sell those functional hybrid devices to me for.

    This offer is good until I publicly revoke it in this forum, I'll stand by it as long as you can provide me with proof of the eBay purchase price you paid for the German Pre.

    Barry
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 12/15/2010 at 04:46 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    It is possible to do but would require the 2100 board. It would be much less hassle to just sell the one you bought and buy the EU Pre 2. It's amazing, the things that could be avoided with a quick search of the forums.
    The EU Pre 2 costs quite a bit more than the NA (USA) Pre 2. It's amazing, the things that could be avoided with a quick search of the forums.

    TTB
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
  10.    #30  
    well look i have a european pre-.. its smashed up (dont ask) but the mother board im sure is still intact.. can i take out the comm board from that and put it into my pre 2?
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by r4iz0r View Post
    well look i have a european pre-.. its smashed up (dont ask) but the mother board im sure is still intact.. can i take out the comm board from that and put it into my pre 2?
    Based on your question.... I am guessing you didn't see TopTongueBarry's post, just two above yours?
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  12.    #32  
    i did just not sure what he is saying.. he wants to get my broken palm pre- and he'll swap my NA comm board with the EU board as long as he keeps my NA comm board?
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by r4iz0r View Post
    i did just not sure what he is saying.. he wants to get my broken palm pre- and he'll swap my NA comm board with the EU board as long as he keeps my NA comm board?
    That appears to be his offer... although the fact that he posted the offer says He believes the boards can be swapped. And he is willing to risk his own money on it.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  14.    #34  
    barry sent you a pm.. i'm happy to give this a shot as long as you know what you're doing and I get my pre 2 back i dont really care about the broken pre- or the NA comm board as long as my pre 2 works with 2100 band and US app catalog is running
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by r4iz0r View Post
    barry sent you a pm.. i'm happy to give this a shot as long as you know what you're doing and I get my pre 2 back i dont really care about the broken pre- or the NA comm board as long as my pre 2 works with 2100 band and US app catalog is running
    My offer is to purchase the left over parts from the comms baord swap, not necessarily to perform the swap, and yes I know what I am doing. I've done comm board swaps on multiple devices.

    This particular comms board swap (unlocked EU with unlocked NA and visa versa) happens to be one of the easiest to perform, and it is something that if careful, you should be able to perform yourself.

    Although you can use a comms board out of a previously activated German Pre, there are risks involved with doing so. I'll explain below when I answer your question about US app catalog access. The ideal situation for this particular comms board swap is to have a brand new German Pre and take the comms board out of it for use in the USA NA Pre 2. There will never have been a palm Profile setup for the IMEI that way and the hybrid device you create would in theory be seen as a Pre 2 by your Palm Profile. Unless you can find a brand new German Pre for cheap or for free, doing this pretty much negates any cost saving you'd realize from buying the NA US Pre 2 device instead of buying the EU Pre 2 device up front.

    I can recommend a couple of members in the EU who probably would be willing to perform the comms board swap for you if you absolutely do not wish to tackle it yourself. Try contacting Richard Rosenberger. If in Australia, then you might want to ask rwhitby what he thinks about this procedure and if he can recommend anybody.

    Your request for access to the US app catalog isn't quite so simple. The problem being that the IMEI from the EU German Pre you are using for the comms board swap has probably been activated somewhere, in some country (Germany ???) previously. It cannot be reactivated to get the USA app catalog. That being said, using a comms board from a previously activated German Pre does offer other potential risks. One being the palm profile may not capture your Pre 2 as a Pre 2 leaving you to doctor your device every time a new WebOS update is released.

    There are two scenarios where your hybrid Pre 2 can have US App catalog access:
    a). The German Pre was initially activated in the USA.
    b). the German Pre was never activated previously (ie activation bypass tool or it's a brand new device).

    ONLY in those two scenarios would it be possible for you to have full US app catalog access.

    If the first cirteria listed (a) happens to be the case, you should have us app catalog access on your Pre 2 after the swap.
    If the second criteria listed (b) happens to be the case, and you want US app catalog access moving forward, You'll need to make sure to activate your hybrid Pre 2 device in the USA for the first time after swapping out comms boards..


    If you are not looking for US app catalog access, and just want 3G with the app catalog of the country the German Pre was originally activated in, then this comms board swap may still be for you. Keep in mind if you do not use a brand new unactivated German Pre comms board for your swap, you may have to doctor after each update to WebOS in the future, although I hear a fix may be in the works for that.

    After knowing about the risks, If you still decide to perform this particular comms board swap, I'll buy the left over parts from you!
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 12/16/2010 at 12:47 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    That appears to be his offer... although the fact that he posted the offer says He believes the boards can be swapped. And he is willing to risk his own money on it.
    Doing the swap is NOT my offer.

    Buying the leftover parts is.

    Yes the boards can be swapped. There are inherent risks involving the Palm Profile and future updating. See my prior post.

    Ideally, if one could come up with a brand new unactivated German pre to take the EU comms board from, the risks are minimized or eliminated, but that would pretty much negate the cost savings gained by initially purchasing a USA Pre 2 over a EU Pre 2.
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 12/16/2010 at 12:16 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
  17. #37  
    TTB I don't do swaps.
    I know it's easy but I've never needed to.
    Richard could do it, it's his work.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    TTB I don't do swaps.
    I know it's easy but I've never needed to.
    Richard could do it, it's his work.
    SirataXero (on the forums here) from WebOS World would probably do this as well.

    Would this involve the whole frankenDr or would it be a straightforward hardware swap?
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    It's a GSM model modem swap for devices which use the same doctor.
    I don't expect any problem, other than AppCat problems.
    Then again, I'm just a parrot with a harddrive.
    Re: app cat problems, I think I covered all the possibilities. Only thing that's a concern is if the German Pre was activated (not brand new) then it's IMEI is seen as a Pre -, whilst going into a Pre 2. Might require doctoring for each WebOS upgrade.

    Making more sense for someone who wants 3G in the EU to just pony up the extra $$ for an EU Pre 2.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    TTB I don't do swaps.
    I know it's easy but I've never needed to.
    Richard could do it, it's his work.
    Gotcha, I've corrected the post.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions