Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    OK... go easy on the newb!

I currently have a Samsung i760 (Windows Mobile 6.1) and considering a Pre 2 when Verizon gets it going.

I have some questions...

Up to this point I have been syncing via ActiveSync 4.5 and Outlook 2003 (via USB cable). I have upgraded my Outlook to 2010 and signed up for a HOSTED EXCHANGE(?) (SherWeb) to make sure going foward that ALL my contacts, email, distribution lists, tasks, notes, etc. are updated IMMEDIATELY on my PC, laptops and cell. No cables.

My questions are these:

1. While using Exchange 2010 with Outlook 2010... will a Pre 2 allow me to use ALL the functionality of Outlook... or are there limitations?

2. Does Exchange 2010 have any limitations in this regard?

3. In the mean-time (before Pre 2 Verizon release), will the i760 do the job?

Thank you in advance.

PJ

webOS has excellent support for Exchange, though I've read there is an issue with fake-Exchange accounts such as Gmail.

Palm licensed the necessary stuff to support Exchange within webOS, so it will be around for as long as Exchange is used by enterprise companies.

webOS does not, however, support ActiveSync, nor will it sync directly with Outlook. There were a couple sync solutions, but those don't support webOS 2.0 (not yet anyhow).

But if you're using Exchange, then you shouldn't need to deal with syncing directly with Outlook. The Pre2 should be fine.

In the meantime, you could just download the webOS 1.4.5 SDK (that one is public) so you can get used to webOS and see how you would set up Exchange and if it works for you. I don't think the email app has changed much, but I don't have my Pre2 yet, so I can't really say for sure.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Webos 2.0 and 1.0 will work with exchange 2010. With Outlook 2010, do you mean a direct sync to it? If so, pocket mirror from the app catalog will work with the webos 1.x devices and SOON for the 2.0 devices.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    have been using palm pre with exchange 2010 for 8 months and have not had a problem receiving or sending emails.
  5.    #5  
    I want to load Outlook 2010 on all my computers... when I send an email from one computer, I want it to show in the sent folder of all of them. When I receive an email, I want it to show up in the inbox of all of them. When I put an email in a client folder, I want that to show on all devices... immediately... no cables.

I want to be able to use tasks, notes, contacts (including distribution lists) and calendar... in the same way. Immediate update... so that whatever device I am at, I have 100% up to date info in every aspect of Outlook's functionality.

I have been told that a HOSTED EXCHANGE will do this????

I want the same for my phone. I hope the Pre 2 will do this. If not, I will need a phone that will. Suggestions?

thank you,

PJ

The Pre/Pre 2/Pixi will.
    Last edited by NachoB; 12/20/2010 at 08:20 PM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Last edited by vividos; 12/09/2010 at 07:41 PM.
    Email, calendar, contact, and tasks sync in webOS 1.x. Notes do NOT sync via exchange. So the others would be instant, as you require, but Notes would not. You can sync Notes via pocket mirror and I think there are some others. But that sync would not be instant. I believe Windows mobile has this same limitation. Not sure about the new Win Phone 7.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    The real question is, who hosts your email account?

Outlook 2010 is just an application and has no hosting capability.

I use Outlook 2010 at home and have a gmail account. Everything is sync'd, all the time, correctly. Only my offline folders are not accessible to my pre, which is where I archive old email in subject specific folders. Offline folder inaccessibility is typical of outlook and exchange as they are stored on the PC not the email server; however you can have all kinds of folders on an email server.
    Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelPastor View Post
    I want to load Outlook 2010 on all my computers... when I send an email from one computer, I want it to show in the sent folder of all of them. When I receive an email, I want it to show up in the inbox of all of them. When I put an email in a client folder, I want that to show on all devices... immediately... no cables.

I want to be able to use tasks, notes, contacts (including distribution lists) and calendar... in the same way. Immediate update... so that whatever device I am at, I have 100% up to date info in every aspect of Outlook's functionality.

I have been told that a HOSTED EXCHANGE will do this????

I want the same for my phone. I hope the Pre 2 will do this. If not, I will need a phone that will. Suggestions?

thank you,

PJ

As was pointed out in another post, a lot of this depends on your email provider. You may not have to move to hosted Exchange to do what you're talking about. I haven't used Outlook in quite some time, but I believe a free Google Mail account will work as you described.
    Last edited by hparsons; 12/09/2010 at 10:56 AM.
  11.    #11  

I signed up some time ago with Gmail... initially I was excited and thought... "This will WORK!"

Then reality crashed in. Among other issues... Gmail does not have full functionalty of Distribution Lists (like in Outlook). You can do Groups, but the BIG limitation is that you only have access to the Primary email address to send to.

If you want someones second or third email address included as part of a Distribution List... you have to make two or three copies of each contact.

Bummer.

So... I signed up with SherWeb Hosted Exchange. Around $11.00 a month and no contract. I am hoping they do what the salesman says it will do. They run Exchange 2010 and advertise

SUPPOSEDLY... it will push all my updated info--email, contacts, calendar and tasks--to every device (including phone)... instantly and with no need for cables and syncing (which NEVER really worked well).

Is this ACTUALLY how it works?

Last edited by SteelPastor; 12/09/2010 at 11:07 AM.
    So... I signed up with SherWeb Hosted Exchange. Around $11.00 a month and no contract. I am hoping they do what the salesman says it will do. They run Exchange 2010 and advertise

SUPPOSEDLY... it will push all my updated info--email, contacts, calendar and tasks--to every device (including phone)... instantly and with no need for cables and syncing (which NEVER really worked well).

Is this ACTUALLY works?

I had a client that used SherWeb, it will work with your Pre (unless they've changed something in the last few months, which I doubt).

Is this ACTUALLY how it works?
    Never used Sherweb, but yeah, that's definitely how EAS (Exchange Active Sync) works. It pushes updates to your phone as they happen. There is no difference between when your phone gets the alert and when Outlook gets the alert. No cables, all wireless. It's a thing of beauty.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    SteelPastor:

Would you mind keeping us posted (no pun intended) on SherWeb, and how well it works? I've been looking at this as an option to syncing with Google, but the website doesn't mention WebOS.

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Sure looks like this will work. I am not sure if you will have to abandon your gmail account or not. I think the distribution lists will be available on all devices as long as they are included in your "contacts" on your EAS account.

Anyway, I would be interested to hear what your experience is. Good luck.
    Dan
    I had been using SherWeb the last several years and it works great on my pre+. I should be getting my Pre2 next week and will let you know how the switch goes. Also, check on that price from SherWeb- basic service for Outlook2010 is around $7/month. Shared Space is an extra charge.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyK View Post
    I had been using SherWeb the last several years and it works great on my pre+. I should be getting my Pre2 next week and will let you know how the switch goes. Also, check on that price from SherWeb- basic service for Outlook2010 is around $7/month. Shared Space is an extra charge.
    Jimmy...

Do you use Outlook? Which version? Are there any limitations on functionality in email, calendar, contacts, tasks, etc?

Do Distribution Lists work properly?

I have used 2007 mainly, just switched over to 2010. I had 'almost' no problems... the distribution lists only worked well when I had the Outlook use "Contacts" as the default address book. When I used the Global Address Book, addresses kept getting lost, probably some setting needed to be switched but since only my accounts were on Exchange, it didn't matter. Other than that, no problems at all. Everything was kept in sync on my 2 PC's, laptop and Pre, including tasks-
    Thanks everyone for this information. I did not know about sherweb.

My Pre (minus) works well with exchange. I have a total of 7 email accounts (1 exchange others are web based like yahoo, gmail, hotmail etc). The only issue I have is that it doesn't sync the subfolders automatically (which is true for non-exchange services as well). Can anybody verify if sherweb will work for this?

I have gmail as my default as exchange is for work and contacts, calendar emails all work perfectly. I can add a contact in exchange and see it via synergy in my contacts on the PRE immediately (amazing really ) I really like using google services as I can view them on any device not just my phone. I do not use notes so can't say anything about that.
    I have been on Sherweb prior to the release of the Pre and it works great.

Contacts, calendar, email and tasks.

It does not support distribution lists from exchange however there are some inexpensive email/SMS distribution list applications available.

I am not a fan of the Pre tasks software. I use Toodledo : A to-do list to organize your tasks combined with Task Angel (pc windows), Todo (iPad), Done! (Pre).

Regards
    graylion
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast