1.    #1  
    We all know that the for webOS versions up to 1.4.5, that text messages (along with other data) is stored in /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3. In the past, when I've doctored my Pre, or swapped devices, I've always backed up that database and restored it on the new device to retain all of my texts.

But from what I understand, webOS 2.0 no longer uses db3 for its databases. So imagine it's no longer possible to simple copy over the PalmDatabase.db3 file to restore your text messages. Is anyone aware of a way to do so?

I suppose one solution would be to wait until an OTA update becomes available on existing devices for webOS 2.0, which would naturally have to convert the existing db3 database into the new format. Not sure if this mechanism already exists in webOS 2.0 (i.e. a way to convert between the database formats).
    Quote Originally Posted by onlinespending View Post
    We all know that the for webOS versions up to 1.4.5, that text messages (along with other data) is stored in /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3. In the past, when I've doctored my Pre, or swapped devices, I've always backed up that database and restored it on the new device to retain all of my texts.

But from what I understand, webOS 2.0 no longer uses db3 for its databases. So imagine it's no longer possible to simple copy over the PalmDatabase.db3 file to restore your text messages. Is anyone aware of a way to do so?

I suppose one solution would be to wait until an OTA update becomes available on existing devices for webOS 2.0, which would naturally have to convert the existing db3 database into the new format. Not sure if this mechanism already exists in webOS 2.0 (i.e. a way to convert between the database formats).
    Only those with a Pre2 can actually help you right now, and that's only if they search for the database. I hope my Pre2 will come in tomorrow, and if it does I will check on this for you (if someone else doesn't by then).
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Well I tried the same thing, but it's not db3 mysqllite anymore. It's now db8 located in /var/db/ and the directory holds separate index and object files with the extension .db.

What I did before was using any mysqllite explorer on windows to open the db3 files, edit them to add my texts and then restore the db to my phone.

I copied the db directory onto my pc, but have not been able to open it on my pc yet. It stores the data in a db based on json format, from what I understand.

Now there's a homebrew app available on webosinternals test feed; Impostah. I did have a look at the messages database and even the structure has been changed compared to db3 databases.

I've noticed as well that WebOS 2 doesnt merge message threads anymore when combining contact details. Instead it closes one thread and disables texting on it and opens a new thread for the new contact instance.

Still looking into it, since I want to move my texts as well.
    we all hope HP can give us an office tools,will they?
    any update on this? Not being able to transfer my old text messages is an absolute deal breaker for me...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I want to transfer my old text messages . Who can cantact with hp?
    Hp should give us app to do this after updated to webos 2.1.0
    Quote Originally Posted by jngg View Post
    Hp should give us app to do this after updated to webos 2.1.0
    The update has come.
    Should they or will they?
    Extracting specific data from a db3 file and import that into the db8 file that is responsible for the SMS isn't that straight forward and don't see HPalm releasing a utility doing this for it is a security risk. Maybe if this can be done through the palm profile server then yes for there is no security risk to the mobile device.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    I wish HPalm release a utility doing this for us from webos 1.4.5 to webos2.1.0.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    I migrated from my original Pre to a Pre 2.
    I did a save/restore but looks like it doesn't restore the SMSs.
    Any news about it?
    Cheers
    JD
    I dont know how but when i did my frankenpre (new pre- and a new pre 2) all my text messages showed up on the new phone. Its possible they are saved in the palm profile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickboy46 View Post
    I dont know how but when i did my frankenpre (new pre- and a new pre 2) all my text messages showed up on the new phone. Its possible they are saved in the palm profile.
    With webOS 2.1.0, Palm profile now does backup the 'call log' and 'text messages'.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Yes, but is there a way to get them off of the Pre2 or your Palm Profile? Save/Restore doesn't appear to recognize the new db8 format in WebOS 2.x.
    It is possible to do, though not exactly seamless or straightforward. I did it mostly successfully with my Sprint Pre- to FrankenPre2. This thread discusses it and has the scripts to use:
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-s...bos-2-1-a.html

The only thing that hasn't worked so far is continuing a chat thread from a person not in your contacts list (i.e. a text from a phone number you don't have saved to anyone). The old text thread is still there, but a new text will start a new thread.

You will probably want to do this almost immediately after doing the FrankenPre2 conversion with it in airplane mode (and make sure you save your PalmDatabase.db3 from your Pre- before doing the conversion).
    Also, a way to restore you call log hasn't been explored yet, but I would think it is possible in a similar method if you want to dig around with databases and javascript.
    Thanks. I'm not looking to restore, just to save to my computer the SMS logs from WebOS 2.0.1 as you could do with WebOS 1.4.5.
    Quote Originally Posted by pureinstinct93 View Post
    Thanks. I'm not looking to restore, just to save to my computer the SMS logs from WebOS 2.0.1 as you could do with WebOS 1.4.5.
    My posts were in regards to the original poster and the whole point of this thread.

Conveniently, though, what you want to do is also covered in the thread I linked. There is no longer a single db8 database that we can copy or convert easily as Save/Restore did for db3 (or as we did to get from Pre- to Pre2). It appears to my untrained eye that there are a bunch of databases one would have to navigate to create a backup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    With webOS 2.1.0, Palm profile now does backup the 'call log' and 'text messages'.
    Can this be retrieved from the web? As opposed to restored to the phone?