Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So can anyone tell me if there is any added functionality with 2.0 when it comes to syncing with Outlook? Specifically, can you sync native tasks, and memos with Outlook? And has the calendar been improved to include categories perhaps? If not, then I may not need to wait for the next HPalm webOS release and just go back to my BlackBerry.

Why has the whole smartphone world, including M$, abandoned any but token support of Outlook syncing?
    You don't happen to mean "Exchange" by Outlook, do you? Because if you do, that stuff's all supported.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Those 2 apps mentioned above do not work with WebOS 2.0 (Palm Pre 2):
    "Palm Pre 2 and WebOS 2.0 are not supported at this time."
    Don't look for solution - look for EXIT!
    My Palm Pre 2 and TouchPad 32GB are waiting for useful updates and enhancements
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelcu View Post
    Now that's an unexpected surprise! Here I've been eagerly waiting for WebOS 2.0 to make it to me..... but, the ability to sync with Chapura is pretty much the most critical thing I use on my Pre+ ..... has anyone reached out to ask the Chapura folks what their 2.0 timeline looks like? If not, I'd be happy to do it (have contacted them before).

Edit: I've sent them an eMail to see what they say / even if others have asked, more people asking can't hurt.

"In order to use PocketMirror software, you must have: ...
    -Handheld device using Palm® webOS™ 1.x "
    Last edited by cmahy; 12/06/2010 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Update
    Palm History: Sony Clie T615C --> T|X --> Pre+ --> Pre3 Aspirations -->
    Any word on CompanionLink?
    Bummer... I guess it has something to do with them accessing the database directly and Palm switched over to db8.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Looks like Chapura is working on this. No idea on timeframe, but they have a mailing list to keep us posted. FYI, their reply to me was:

"We do not yet have a version of PocketMirror that will work with WebOS 2.0. We are working on an update and will have it out as quickly as is possible. I have added your name and email address to our update list and will send you an notice as soon it is complete.

This will be a free update to current owners of the software."

Speaking personally: this helps reduce my worry that development support for WebOS wasn't there.

Chris

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Next question: How do I opt out of an OTA update to WebOS 2.0?

I need to maintain the USB sync through CompanionLink.(For security/professional purposes I won't sync contacts to google)
    Quote Originally Posted by fahzz View Post
    Next question: How do I opt out of an OTA update to WebOS 2.0?

I need to maintain the USB sync through CompanionLink.(For security/professional purposes I won't sync contacts to google)
    The instructions are HERE.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  11.    #12  
    Unfortunately I don't have access to an Exchange server, and haven't been too excited about a hosted service, but maybe I'm going to have to consider it a bit more seriously.
  12.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    So...I have used both Chapura and MissingSync for Mac. Chapura is only WiFi based which I have at home, but not at work. MS is cable, not wireless so I would always be able to sync, even if no WiFi network. What would the advantage be of a hosted Exchange account over one of these be, besides the fact that both of the software options seem to be incompatible with OS 2?
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ypwandrews View Post
    So...I have used both Chapura and MissingSync for Mac. Chapura is only WiFi based which I have at home, but not at work. MS is cable, not wireless so I would always be able to sync, even if no WiFi network. What would the advantage be of a hosted Exchange account over one of these be, besides the fact that both of the software options seem to be incompatible with OS 2?
    If you're talking Calendar + Contacts only: hosted exchange will get you real-time OTA sync which is great. Regrettably, Tasks & Memos aren't supported (why many of us depend on Chapura or Companionlink).

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    I personally have no access to Exchange server by air (corporate limitations). The only way for me to sync contacts is to syncs via cable or via Google Contacts (which are still in beta version). All this makes me crazy - with other phones there was no prob to sync contacts by directly by cable or bluetooth or even IR. Why it's so complicated with Palm?

I also guess that when Chapura (or any other developer) will finally make WebOS 2.xx version available it will not be available to buy in my country.... As almost all apps in application cataloque. How Palm would like to get more marketshare with such strange approach to customers? I thought that I get "gold" prize buying Palm Pre 2 but it looks I've bought just a toy for kids It makes me crazy cause I like my Palm very much!
    Don't look for solution - look for EXIT!
    My Palm Pre 2 and TouchPad 32GB are waiting for useful updates and enhancements
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    I personally have no access to Exchange server by air (corporate limitations). The only way for me to sync contacts is to syncs via cable or via Google Contacts (which are still in beta version). All this makes me crazy - with other phones there was no prob to sync contacts by directly by cable or bluetooth or even IR. Why it's so complicated with Palm?

I also guess that when Chapura (or any other developer) will finally make WebOS 2.xx version available it will not be available to buy in my country.... As almost all apps in application cataloque. How Palm would like to get more marketshare with such strange approach to customers? I thought that I get "gold" prize buying Palm Pre 2 but it looks I've bought just a toy for kids It makes me crazy cause I like my Palm very much!
    I understand your frustration. I also don't have access to OTA Exchange ActiveSync -- so, have had to rely on other methods to get data in from Outlook. Personally, I've used Chapura (1.4.5) for Calendar, Contacts, Tasks and Memos & GMail for a 2nd Calendar + contacts. Of course, I paid extra $$ to buy the software. In my opinion, if Palm is committed to putting everything in the cloud, they need to offer solutions that include the big-four PIM tools AND the ability to pull it all back down from the cloud to Outlook as-needed. To my knowledge, none of the available options offer a single account cloud-based solution (ie: Both Activesync and GMail support only 2 of 4 major PIM apps).

My sincere hope is that HP will address this functional gap as part of their new Enterprise focus.

In the meantime: a bit of good news for you. The Chapura App cat. items are offered there as free. The part you pay for is the account that makes the whole thing work. As long as the free apps are available to all regions, you should be able to get them once the software is upgraded to be 2.0-compliant.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IGNTNUNLMTD View Post
    You don't happen to mean "Exchange" by Outlook, do you? Because if you do, that stuff's all supported.
    Actually, Outlook Memos are not natively supported by Microsoft ActiveSync, so neither Palm nor any other vendor dependent on ActiveSync can automatically synchronize them. As the front page of the site shows, Chapura's PocketMirror has just been updated for webOS 2. {Jonathan}
    Jonathan I. Ezor
    Law Prof. and Internet Business Attorney
    Writer, PreCentral.net
    jonathan.ezor@precentral.net
    Twitter: webOSquire
    E-book on smartphone/laptop legal risk: http://www.mobilerisk.com
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan I Ezor View Post
    Actually, Outlook Memos are not natively supported by Microsoft ActiveSync, so neither Palm nor any other vendor dependent on ActiveSync can automatically synchronize them. As the front page of the site shows, Chapura's PocketMirror has just been updated for webOS 2. {Jonathan}
    Jonathan -- thanks for clarifying this. Have you or anybody else heard any official stance from Palm as to what they plan to do to fix this? Or, is the pragmatist in my head right to assume they simply don't care about keeping the big-4 PIM tools running in an interactive Outlook/Phone way.

FYI, that same pragmatist on my shoulder keeps pointing at the Tasks & Memos apps we got from Palm -- he's laughing at how useless they are (compared to the Pocketmirror apps).

All the same -- the Chapura 2.x news was the best thing I've heard since Feb 9!
    I used the Palm Data Transfer Assistant to send contacts from Outlook to the Pre 2.
    I know this is not syncing, but it way faster and convenient at least to do it for the first time, you get all your contacts in like 2 minutes.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast