Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    So, I am a proud owner of a fresh Palm Pre 2 (EU version). It's been a great experience so far, except one thing.
    The caller id on incoming calls matches incorrectly.

On most phones, caller id is matched to your phone book starting from the number's end and matching X numbers towards the front. This is because diferrent operators and countries have different ways of displaying and sending area- and country codes.

So for example, if I had the number to Bob in my phone book listed as
    031-123456
    (Gothenburg, Sweden area code 031, which I would use to dial locally)

And the number of needed matching characters (counting from the right hand side of the string) was 7 (which I believe is quite common), then the match would be for 1123456, any incoming call ENDING with that string would be displayed as "Bob".

I would get a match if Bob called me when I was abroad (the network would send +4631123456 ), as well as if when I was in the same country (the network would send 031123456.

For some stupid reason (read: US-centric) the Palm Pre 2 seems to try to match THE WHOLE number. And fails.
    For instance, I have some service turned on with my operator that gives me a short-dial code to selected numbers. But the side effect is that I receive call id's with an extra zero in front.
    So when Bob calls me, I get 0031123456. Since the first part of the string is 003, the Pre figures someone is calling from country code 31, i.e. Holland!

So instead of displaying "Bob", as the phone bloody well should, I see "Holland" on my display, followed by Bob's number.

This only makes sense if the number format always is the same (I.e., when you live in the US and only get calls from other folks in the US).

In effect, I have no idea who is calling.

Here's my question.

Is there any way to change this behaviour? So that the Pre would use the same system that EVERY SINGLE CELL PHONE I've ever had has used? Matching numbers from the right side of the string for a set amount of characters...

I really hope there is!!
    If not, I hope Palm/HP developer team reads about this oversight and take some swift action... It's not a very big deal to solve this issue I am sure.

Thanks for any help!
    All the best!
    I would encourage you to register at the Palm Community forums and post the issue. They will let you know if they are aware of it and if there is a fix coming in a future update.

http://forums.palm.com/

EDIT: based on Post #4 in this thread. Thanks Arthur!
    Last edited by pastorrich1; 12/06/2010 at 11:56 AM.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Strange, but I have similar - maybe not the same iise with my Palm Pre 2.

When there is a call I can't see who is calling - just number is displayed. Even this is already in my Contacts and number is exactly the same - ex in Contacts I have Bob with number 505100200 and displayed caller number is the same: 505100200. But it's not connected to the Contact and no info is dispaled so I do not know who's calling.

What is much more strange for some callers (only few) I can see the Contact info when call is coming, for most others not. I do not understand how it works except that NOT as I expected
    Don't look for solution - look for EXIT!
    My Palm Pre 2 and TouchPad 32GB are waiting for useful updates and enhancements
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    I would encourage you to register at the Palm Developer forums and post the issue. They will let you know if they are aware of it and if there is a fix coming in a future update.

https://developer.palm.com/distribution/index.php
    I wouldn't recommend that. The developer forums are for developer relations work.

The OP could post at the Palm Community Support Forums and see what can be done that way:

Palm Support Community - Palm Support Community
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    I wouldn't recommend that. The developer forums are for developer relations work.

The OP could post at the Palm Community Support Forums and see what can be done that way:

Palm Support Community - Palm Support Community
    Ahh.. Thanks Arthur.. sorry for the misdirection. I will edit my post.
    I'd actually assigns the calling number to the first match it finds in your address book.

if you have a bunch of contacts at the same company and the same number listed (like the main number) the anyone caling through their pbx will show up as the same person on your caller ID. Most voip systems don't send the direct number in the callerID field, but only the main number. That creates a problem when you can't force every contact to only ever contain unique numbers.

for example, my daughter and my wife both have the same home number. So when either calls me from their cell phone (they have different cell phone numbers) it would show my wife's name even if it was my daughter's numbet.

I don't know if palm ever fixed that, because I just removed home numbers from both contacts and moved on.

you should experiment with callers that share one number (like home phone) and have a unique (mobile) number and see if that doesn't show you the exact problem in the OP. Let us know if it does.

I've even seen synergy link two people with different first names if enough other fields were the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Ahh.. Thanks Arthur.. sorry for the misdirection. I will edit my post.
    Oh, no problem. I'm just said that because it seems a lot of developers (or end users, not sure which) are posting support requests on the developer forums and it is (rightfully) irritating Chuq and Ben a bit since they are developer relations people (and not support people).
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Global Posts
    616 Global Posts
    Synergy does that to me too... forces a link when I didn't want it.

I have numerous families that I have multiple #'s for (e.g. Dad, Mom, son, daughter). I now list the home # in the notes field, and have a separate contact for the family (The Smiths, The Jones, etc.). May not be the best system, but works so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    Oh, no problem. I'm just said that because it seems a lot of developers (or end users, not sure which) are posting support requests on the developer forums and it is (rightfully) irritating Chuq and Ben a bit since they are developer relations people (and not support people).
    I think it is being driven by the $200 dev coupon frenzy. Lots of "new devs' out their clammoring for their place in WebOS world. We'll see how many are still around after they get a coupon and a substantially discounted Pre2.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    In fact I DID post it in over at Palm. Way back when, I even was a person they contacted for advice on GSM, as I was one of the few Palm V users who used the Palm tethered through a GSM phone in Europe and browsing that way.

However, I have a feeling they have lots of equally important issues on their minds - and so was hoping that this would be something that could be accessed through a preware patch of some kind.
    I take it it's not?
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I'd actually assigns the calling number to the first match it finds in your address book.
    That's not the problem.
    Let's say my "local" mobile number is 12345678.
    To call a cell in some countries, you'd dial 012345678.
    To call me from abroad, you'd dial a variation of 011 / 00 / 010 / whatever the international prefix + country code (for instance, Sweden: 46) + my number.

So depending on those things, the caller id showing when this hypothetical person is calling me could be either:

+461234578

Instead of matching from the end of the number and forwards for X characters, so that any number ending in *2345678 would result in a match in my phonebook, the Pre tries to match it from the beginning!
    Since I always input numbers in the intl. format when creating a new contact (i.e. +4612345678), because I travel a lot, then more often than not (for instance when in the same country as the person calling me) the number will not match. Stupid. But that's a natural omission if you're too (cough Palm chough) centered on your own country & not used to international roaming.

I used to be active in the winMob community, hacking & flashing ROMs. There was even a setting in the registry of winMob phones allowing you to set how many characters should be used when matching with the phonebook, counting from the right end of the number. I believe the default was 7 characters...

Oh lords & gods & developers of WebOS - could someone let someone know about this?
    Thanks!