Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I found 3 dead pixels on my pre2, and I went to HP.com than was redirected to Palm customer service.

Well the agent was very responsive, unfortunately he didn't resolve my problem.
    I told him the problem, he had me run through the screen test on the pre. After finished, the test I told him I saw those dead pixels on the blue, red & green screen. He said give his 3 mins, he came back with a response " Palm has not officially release the Pre2 in the US yet, unfortunately you will have to wait till its official release in the US. Then you can contact us and we will try to fix it.

So I was like aren't you under HP? If HP is selling officially online it why can't you get me a replacement or something? This doesn't make sense at all. He insisted that the Pre2 has not been release in the state there is nothing he can do about it.

So what do you guys think?
    Get ahold of customer service again and let them know of this bs. See if they can do any better. If not, then you're SOL.
    they are selling them on hp.com

how is that not "released" in the US?.
    I wanted to say the same thing as Cantaffordit. You contacted HP: the company whose subsidiary built the phone and the company who sold you the phone. They can't tell you it's unreleased when it is.
    On an LCD screen TV, up to 50 dead pixels is considered acceptable. As far as a smartphone screen, while smaller, I'm sure that 3 pixels is considered within acceptable limits by the manufacturers, and you won't receive much sympathy.
    Down with the BourgeoisOS oppressors, webOS users unite!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post
    On an LCD screen TV, up to 50 dead pixels is considered acceptable. As far as a smartphone screen, while smaller, I'm sure that 3 pixels is considered within acceptable limits by the manufacturers, and you won't receive much sympathy.
    Well, yes, the main word here is TV. On LCD displays it is 4-12 pixels(depending on size, resolution and manufacturer). And the thing is that you don't sit in 0,5-1 meter from the TV but you do from display or smartphone.
    Generally it is 1 pixel per 1M for LG displays.

But every company have their own standard for dead pixel allowance.
    And that's what I said.
    Down with the BourgeoisOS oppressors, webOS users unite!
    he, he... Similar customer service experience I had with Palm Support.
    I tried to set up my "Voicemail number" in Phone preferences. I don't know why but I can't save the number I put there: I type it and it's never saved and never can be dialed with "1" or "Voicemail" button.
    I go in chat with support (cause I'm from Poland) and nice girl (probably) advice me to make system restart. Lol. Than when it was not solving the issue she asked me to do "Erase Apps & Data". I did. It also did not solve the issue. Than she asked me to wait a min to let her check in her own Palm what is going on (you really believe thay use Palms for their own?). After that check (in her own Palm) she told me that this issue depends on my Carrier provider/SIM card and that she can't help. Nice support
    Of course when I put my SIM card to any other phone or smartphone there is no problem to set up "Voicemail number" in the system. So definitely it's WebOS issue I think.
    Appleā€™s dead pixel policy revealed | BGR | Boy Genius Report

Apple will replace the iPhone for 1 dead pixel! HP Palm should do the same if they want to compete.

My first pre had 3 dead as well but they were near the edges so it didn't bother me. My second one is perfect, so I hope it holds up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Compvir View Post
    Well, yes, the main word here is TV. On LCD displays it is 4-12 pixels(depending on size, resolution and manufacturer). And the thing is that you don't sit in 0,5-1 meter from the TV but you do from display or smartphone.
    Generally it is 1 pixel per 1M for LG displays.

But every company have their own standard for dead pixel allowance.
    Perhaps you need to read the post instead of glance through it.

The user you quoted said a TV can have up to 50 be acceptable, AND said that for a PHONE, it may be 3.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Technically, Palm hasn't yet released it in the USA. All purchasing must be done through HP's website, not Palm's.

As you'll notice, you purchased it through HP. Just try calling up HP support and see what they can do for you.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    in that sense, palm=hp.

all palm pone and acessory sales were moved to the HP online store.

if I can order a phone from hp that will run on the network of a US carrier, i'd call that released. I think you need to escalate within palm support.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    in that sense, palm=hp.

all palm pone and acessory sales were moved to the HP online store.

if I can order a phone from hp that will run on the network of a US carrier, i'd call that released. I think you need to escalate within palm support.
    While Palm did make the phone, they didn't sell it (and before you ask, they did sell the Pre and Pre+ to the carriers of the Pre and Pre+, hence why Palm supported those directly).

It is VERY possible that Palm's support personnel have been told not to support the Pre2 and to pass the people along to HP.

Of course, I don't know for sure. The OP could try contacting Palm support again, but since HP sold the product, they're the ones who have to replace the product for dead pixels. You don't buy a new car from a dealer to find out it is missing a seat and try replacing it through the manufacturer (Palm), do you? No, a logical person goes to the dealer (HP).
    Arthur Thornton

Palm us a division of HP. Therefore the equation looks like this.

not all of HP is Palm
    all of Palm is HP

therefore anything from palm that hp sells is being sold by Palm.

escalate.
  15.    #15  
    Thanks for all the reply, Yea my Iphone4 got one gave me a new one and I don't see why Palm or HP can't do the same? Well I guess I will call the customer service this time. Wish me Luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    Perhaps you need to read the post instead of glance through it.

The user you quoted said a TV can have up to 50 be acceptable, AND said that for a PHONE, it may be 3.
    Perhaps you should calculate better. 1Mp - 1 dead pixel
    320*480 - ~150K pixels. So even 1 would be a crime. And 3 is outrages.

I wasz against statement that 3 could be acceptable.
  17.    #17  
    So I called Hp today and told them what happen. They said the phone doesn't have warranty because I bought this phone off craigslist.... I guess I will just keep the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Compvir View Post
    Perhaps you should calculate better. 1Mp - 1 dead pixel
    320*480 - ~150K pixels. So even 1 would be a crime. And 3 is outrages.

I wasz against statement that 3 could be acceptable.
    I should calculate better?

I wasn't the person who originally said that, so my calculations do not matter. In fact, I am excellent in math.

But perhaps you should read the whole thread and then respond to the ORIGINAL poster of the "3 should be fine" part. I was simply saying that you were incorrect in what you said. Zen00 said a TV can have up to 50, but a phone can have up to 3 and be fine. You said nothing about cell phones (you only said stuff about TVs), and I told you that Zen00 said 3 for phones.
    Arthur Thornton

Quote Originally Posted by chau1988 View Post
    So I called Hp today and told them what happen. They said the phone doesn't have warranty because I bought this phone off craigslist.... I guess I will just keep the phone.
    That is standard procedure. Warranties don't typically transfer when the device is resold.
    Arthur Thornton

Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Your Pre 2, if purchased directly from HP, has a 1 year manufacturer warranty. At least that's what the paperwork that came with mine says. Use that for an arguing point when trying to get your phone replaced.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast