1.    #1  
    Hello,

I am considering the Palm Pre 2 as my first smartphone. I currently have the Samsung Rogue. One of the things I plan on doing is typing a lot for documents and such.

What I want to know is how would this keyboard be if I planned on doing a lot of typing? I have heard it is small, but what has your experience been using it? Also, does it include the full version of an office program or just a view only version?

Finally, what is your opinion on the screen and its resolution?

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.
    Long documents = finger cramps. Short documents, you'll be doing ok. Test out a Pre Plus or Pre in a store. Pre 2 has the same keyboard.

No full version of office. Who knows when a full version is coming.

Screen size and resolution are fine. Not cutting edge for this day and age, but good enough.
    With bluetooth support, you could probably also get yourself a bluetooth keyboard for any time you wanted to do serious typing - with your Pre 2 on the touchstone, that would work out decently well I'm sure.
    Australian Apple fan
    Wannabe webOS developer, Multimedia designer & UI designer

I have some app ideas, but really need to get a better handle of how this jscript stuff works!
  4.    #4  
    Thats good to know that it has bluetooth support, but there are times, such as when I am sitting on the bus, that I would like to do a little work which is my main concern I guess.

Are they keys big/well-spaced enough to type without making a lot of mistakes or having to go really slow?
    It's not too bad, but I highly recommend you go and check out the phone for yourself. That's something that really varies for people. Also take a look to see if the productivity apps are what you're looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craneum View Post
    Thats good to know that it has bluetooth support, but there are times, such as when I am sitting on the bus, that I would like to do a little work which is my main concern I guess.

Are they keys big/well-spaced enough to type without making a lot of mistakes or having to go really slow?
    I regularly type out 400-600 word emails and docs with no real issues. I do about 35-40 wpm and can best my Swype using Droid friends. Keep in mind that I am a long time Treo user and moved to Pre from Centro which have similar sized keyboards.

For reference, I'm 5:9, 190lbs, and can hold a basketball out at arms length with one hand.
    It depends on your hand, I guess. I type reasonably quick on it and don't feel like I make a lot mistakes. I can type two-handed on it with ease, something I definitely couldn't with my iPod touch. I do find myself looking at the keyboard when I type, unlike when I type at a computer. There was a typing test app on the Pre and because I do tend to look at the keyboard instead of the screen, I couldn't get much more than in the mid 40s on it. On a PC, I type at around 70. Some people though have big hands I guess and complain about it being tiny and some people apparently can't use the phone one-handed, so it's probably best to try it yourself.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Pre's keyboard is a bit small but perfectly fine for most tasks. I have written blog/forum posts on it but I think a bigger keyboard is required for better efficiency. I use two thumbs and need to correct mistakes.
    You can also check out dell venue pro as well as I believe it has a superior keyboard (owing to its bigger size). Wp7 however is nit fully baked yet.
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    This will be down to individual preferences, so try it out yourself. I've used both the Pre and the Pixi and I've found them too slow. I'm much much faster on the iPhone and WP7 (Samsung Focus) software keyboards especially in landscape mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craneum View Post

The Pre2's fully customizable autocorrect and shortcut dictionaries make it super easy to make your own shorthand for commonly used words and phrases. I would imagine you could double or even triple your WPM production if you set up the things that work best for you.

Also, I would recommend Scratch Word Processor for creating/editing documents on your Pre. It also syncs with Google Docs well.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups