Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Anyone running Spotify successfully on the Pre 2?

As I'm outside of any official countires, I had to install using the IPK fetcher method, but seems to work perfectly part of the way. Install the package via palm-install, get notice about update, and install that. However, when I do the update to 0.4.6 the phone sort-of-restarts (black screen, palm logo), do not need to enter my SIM PIN code, so I assume it's just the Java engine restarting?

When I start the app, it's non responsive, and also seems to use a lot of CPU as other apps are really slow. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling... not working.

So before trying more, just wanted to check if people (both inside and outside of supported areas) have the Spotif app working properly on webOS 2.x / Pre 2.

Kind of stupid I can't get a proper install as it's a free app (I get most other free apps from the App Catalog) and that we have Spotify available in Norway anyway - have the Premium subscription and everything.

Btw other not-locally-avaiable-apps like Angry Birds Lite have successfully installed using the same method.
    Audio APIs are different in webOS 2.0, it might be trying to call APIs that are no longer there.
    I can't get Spotify to work. Downlaoded and instaleld fine (I'm in the UK) but everytime I start it up it locks on the username and password screen. have uninstalled and reinstalled twice now to no effect.

Any suggestions gratefully received. Other than that, webos is beautifully elegant..
    it says on spotify website that the app is not yet compatible with webos 2.

btw palm's december newsletter saying it is available for the pre 2 is inaccurate
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    Audio APIs are different in webOS 2.0, it might be trying to call APIs that are no longer there.
    What are you talking about? I've never seen this mentioned anywhere. As far as I know, the Pre 2 still uses HTML5 Audio and SDL audio. Other apps like Grooveshark work on the Pre 2. Maybe it's the significant hacking they had to do to get Spotify to work makes it break on the Pre 2. If you noticed when you used IPK Fetcher, the app id for the Pre 2 starts with com.palm, something only native/Palm-created apps are (officially) allowed to do.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Spotify uses their own service separate from the client app to do most of the heavy lifting. So my random guess is that said service was Java based (not supported in 2.0) and so the client app has a hairy fit when it cannot contact the service it needs.

Personally, I've cancelled my subscription with Spotify until they update it for 2.0. Given the last Palm newsletter specifically mentioned Spotify I'd like to think there must surely be an updated client coming sooner rather than later. webOS needs big names in the catalog even more now with the 9th of February fast approaching.
    Seeing how the spotify app's appid starts with com.palm, I think they must be talking to get Spotify updated.

Plus, I personally think Spotify is just big hype.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  8.    #8  
    Btw, for anyone interested, here is the "official" support answer (I e-mailed them):

Hi!

We strive to cater to our users and function on all possible platforms. However, I'm afraid I cannot say if or when Spotify will be out for WebOS 2.0. Please check our blog for future Spotify updates and features at:

Spotify Blog

Best,
    Felix
    --
    Spotify support team
    Quote Originally Posted by psv75 View Post
    Btw, for anyone interested, here is the "official" support answer (I e-mailed them):
    That's pretty sad. Thanks, but no thanks Spotify, there are more than enough music apps out there to make up for your loss.
    Spotify doesn't use a Java service, and it works fine after a little tweaking on the Pre2.

Spotify ships its own native service and the problem why it doesn't run on the Pre2 is that with WebOS 2 the permissions system has been completely revamped and each native service needs to explicitly specify which messages and connections it responds to.

So, to make Spotify work, all you need is a json granting send/receive permissions, which you install using the "/sbin/lnstool". Afterwards, you need to adjust the service file that spotify ships to allow launching the service on WebOS 2 (they check for version 1.4 in their package).

I have attached an archive with three files, which you need to put into the "/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.spotify/resources" folder. Then run the "install.sh" script and reboot.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    ^Thatnks tfelgentreff! So close... but no dice for me. I'm on 2.0.1 and copied the 3 files from your archive to the resources folder (as root), ran the install.sh (as root) via Putty and rebooted (both full restart and a battery pull) but I still get:
    Code:
    2011-02-22T10:36:13.598358Z [201] roadrunner user.crit ls-hubd: {ls-hubd.private}: ERROR: "com.spotify.palmserver" permissions does not allow inbound connections from "(null)" (requester pid: 1683, requester exe: "/usr/bin/LunaSysMgr" requester cmdline: "/usr/bin/LunaSysMgr -s")
    2011-02-22T10:36:13.601226Z [201] roadrunner user.crit ls-hubd: {ls-hubd.private}: ERROR: "com.spotify.palmserver" permissions does not allow inbound connections from "com.palm.app.spotify" (requester pid: 1683, requester exe: "/usr/bin/LunaSysMgr" requester cmdline: "/usr/bin/LunaSysMgr -s")
    2011-02-22T10:36:13.610107Z [201] roadrunner user.crit ls-hubd: {ls-hubd.private}: ERROR: "com.spotify.palmserver" permissions does not allow inbound connections from "com.palm.app.spotify" (requester pid: 1683, requester exe: "/usr/bin/LunaSysMgr" requester cmdline: "/usr/bin/LunaSysMgr -s")
    2011-02-22T10:36:13.613861Z [201] roadrunner user.crit ls-hubd: {ls-hubd.private}: ERROR: "com.spotify.palmserver" permissions does not allow inbound connections from "com.palm.app.spotify" (requester pid: 1683, requester exe: "/usr/bin/LunaSysMgr" requester cmdline: "/usr/bin/LunaSysMgr -s")
    type entries filling up my log file. The output from running the install.sh was:
    Code:
    Current tether status: disabled
    telling hub to rescan for dynamic services
    Current tether status: disabled
    telling hub to rescan for dynamic services
    After running the installer and before a restart my log shows a whole bunch of entries like the following:
    Code:
    2011-02-22T10:45:51.488922Z [779] roadrunner user.crit ls-hubd: {ls-hubd.public}: Error in security.c:1154
    2011-02-22T10:45:51.489166Z [779] roadrunner user.crit ls-hubd: {ls-hubd.public}: Unable to get permission from JSON
    2011-02-22T10:45:51.491943Z [779] roadrunner user.crit ls-hubd: {ls-hubd.public}: Error in security.c:1172
    2011-02-22T10:45:51.492218Z [779] roadrunner user.crit ls-hubd: {ls-hubd.public}: Unable to get inbound from JSON
    This is maybe normal... or completely unrelated

The Spotify app was installed when I logged in to my existing webOS 1 Palm profile the first time I started my Pre2.

Any ideas tfelgentreff?
  12.    #12  
    So, to make Spotify work, all you need is a json granting send/receive permissions, which you install using the "/sbin/lnstool". Afterwards, you need to adjust the service file that spotify ships to allow launching the service on WebOS 2 (they check for version 1.4 in their package).
    Does not work for me, followed instructions, same issue with hang on app start. Running a Pre 2 with webOS 2.0.1.
    Seems lnstool doesn't put the files where I thought it would...
    I've checked from a clean install and it seems that you will have to manually copy the file "/var/palm/ls2/roles/com.spotify.palmserver.json" (put there by the second lnstool invocation in the install.sh) to "/var/palm/ls2/roles/pub/com.spotify.palmserver.json" and "/var/palm/ls2/roles/prv/com.spotify.palmserver.json" after running the install script.
    For comparison, this is what I get when I run find /var -name "*spotify*" on the device.

Code:
    /var/palm/system-services/com.spotify.palmserver.service
    /var/palm/ls2/roles/pub/com.spotify.palmserver.json
    /var/palm/ls2/roles/com.spotify.palmserver.json
    /var/palm/ls2/roles/prv/com.spotify.palmserver.json
    Apart from those, the only occurances of spotify in filenames are in the app folder and in /dev/cgroups/com.spotify.palmserver
    I copied the missing com.spotify.palmserver.json file to the 4 locations above and restarted via a battery pull. I can now attempt to login to Spotify! Thank you tfelgentreff I've not actually logged in yet as I cancelled my subscription until it worked on 2.0 so that will change shortly.

I'm guessing the playback of local files won't work though as Spotify will be using undocumented webOS v1 APIs?
    Just tried it, local files work fine on my Pre2.
    ^Thanks for checking. I guess Spotify must've had a lot of freedom from Palm to include local playback on 2.0. Now... kindly please go tell Spotify how to fix their own app
    I'm trying to get Spotify working on WebOS 2.1, but I'm being a Noob. Could someone please write out some instructions on how to do this as a step by step? I'm having trouble deciphering the locations and the methods used. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  19.    #19  
    Hi, I will try with the updated instructions from tfelgentreff now and post the result in a short while. I used the novaterm from the SDK (the public 1.4.5 one), gives you a connection through usb to a linux shell, so if you know a few linux commands it's easy to move around the files and running the scripts.
  20.    #20  
    Success!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast