Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    So just to document my steps (as promised above) getting Spotify to work on my Pre 2 running HP webOS 2.0.1. And a BIG thank you of course goes to tfelgentreff who figured all of this out!

(Btw, I'm sure this would be pretty easy to do in a simple patch)

1) Install Spotify* on your Pre 2
    *: Free app, but not available in all countries, don't think it's allowed to describe workarounds(?)

2) Install Novaterm on your PC (comes with webOS doctors or public SDKs)

3) Connect the phone using USB cable to PC, select "Just charge" on the phone

4) Run the script novaterm.bat from "C:\Program Files\Palm, Inc\terminal"

5) Select "Connect" and you are logged into your device on a Linux shell

6) Go to /tmp using cd /tmp and download the spotify.zip from tfelgentreffs post in this thread using something like wget http://demo.com/spotify.zip (I used my dropbox public folder for this)

7) Run cd /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.spotify/resources and then unzip /tmp/spotify.zip

8) Run install script using ./install.sh

9) Copy the json files to the two extra locations:

cp /var/palm/ls2/roles/com.spotify.palmserver.json /var/palm/ls2/roles/pub

cp /var/palm/ls2/roles/com.spotify.palmserver.json /var/palm/ls2/roles/prv

10) Restart your phone, and you're done! (hopefully)

Bonus tip: Spotify runs FREE 7-days Premium trial just now, for all your testing needs...
    Last edited by psv75; 02/24/2011 at 05:48 AM. Reason: clarification (1), typo (9)
    OMG, finaly figured it out. Didn't bother with the script at all though. Still, I want to thank you for helping me get this working.
    Thanks psv75 for the steps, but I beat you to it. Here's where you tell me that I've done something wrong.

I installed the SDK/PDK pack from palm. Ran Nova-Browser, and added the files to the locations manually. Seemed to do the trick. Please let me know if I've caused any issues by doing this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norf View Post
    ^Thanks for checking. I guess Spotify must've had a lot of freedom from Palm to include local playback on 2.0. Now... kindly please go tell Spotify how to fix their own app
    Palm gave them all that they needed to get Spotify working, and Spotify won't return the favor and update for 2.0. Lame...
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Casion View Post
    Thanks psv75 for the steps, but I beat you to it. Here's where you tell me that I've done something wrong.

I installed the SDK/PDK pack from palm. Ran Nova-Browser, and added the files to the locations manually. Seemed to do the trick. Please let me know if I've caused any issues by doing this.
    I think felgentreff is better suited to answer this, not sure what the install script does. Seems to register the files or something. Anyway, I'm really happy that it's now working.

Really lazy of Spotify not to fix this themselves, 4 months after webOS 2.0 launch. Maybe we can have HP/Palm fix it for them, as they wanted to get "big name" apps. Quite an imporant piece of software to have available on phones over here in Northern Europe at least
    Excellent - all working for me too - and I am an utter novice with the Pre2!
    It's working!

But it seems this install script doesn't do anything ?

root@ - Palm Pre:/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.spotify/resources# ./install.sh
    Current tether status: disabled
    telling hub to rescan for dynamic services
    Usage: /sbin/lnsatool ...any of...
    The install script uses the lnstool to copy the files (instead of straight copying) to avoid having to reboot the pre for the spotify service to be recognized. Since we 'cp' stuff manually,though, we have to reboot. The script, btw, is also included (just without the permissions file) in the vanilla spotify app. It is triggered by a post-install hook when you first install the spotify package.
    Just renewed my subscription thanks to pay day coming once again and it does all appear to be working as before. You deserve a cut of the profits from Spotify tfelgentreff. Again, thank you!
    step 1 to 8 seems to work. (I am supposed to answer "y" when prompted in step 7, right?)
    cp: can't stat '/var/palm/ls2/roles/com.spotify.palmserver.json': No such file or directory
    Any clue what's wrong?
    Hi I get an error
    nner:/tmp# install.sh
    /bin/sh: install.sh: Permission denied anyone, I`m not so big inLinux

I tried running cd /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.spotify/resources but didn`t work either it gives me the error, cannot cd to....

any help?
    Last edited by Josse; 03/08/2011 at 09:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norf View Post
    Personally, I've cancelled my subscription with Spotify until they update it for 2.0.
    Is the app only for subscribers?

{I never liked playing with cards until webOS made it useful}
  13.    #33  
    Yes, you need a Premium subscription to use the app for mobile phones. The PC version can be used for ad-supported streaming only without a subscription.
    Pity, but I guess I assumed it was so.

{I never liked playing with cards until webOS made it useful}
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by autodidact View Post
    Pity, but I guess I assumed it was so.
    However, you can still do a free test-run of 7-days, if they're still running that promotion...
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    First off. Thanks to everyone who helped get Spotify working again on 2.x. Shame on your Spotify. I feel bad giving you my 10 a month, when there's such an easy fix available.

Just to let you guys know, I think something's changed in WebOS 2.1, so the install.sh step won't work. Here's an updated ZIP file.

The instructions that psv75 posted should work, the name of the ZIP file has changed, that's all.

(p.s. I haven't tested this myself, so YMMV. Please post if this works on 2.1 for you!)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by craigp; 03/09/2011 at 03:05 PM.
  17.    #37  
    Yes, noticed something changed. But just following the stuff tfelgentreff described above, you really just need to copy the files to their correct locations and then restart the phone to have it recognize the new/changed service. The script is just to skip the restart, according to one of his posts.

Anyway, can confirm tfelgentreffs fix still works on 2.1.0 if anyone was getting worried (did not test craigps update, but suppose that also should work)

And again... Spotify, can't you spend 15 minutes and fix this properly?
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    There's an official Spotify help topic for webOS 2 compatability at Palm Spotify client broken on WebOS 2.

I think it'd be great if we all marked it as a problem for us so that Spotify see that there's a need for Spotify on webOS 2.
  19.    #39  
    Thanks for the tip, added myself to the "I have this problem too". There also is this other case at Getsatisfaction which references this thread for a solution, but the one from timfelgentreff is way better as it clearly explains the root cause.
    OMG Have it working!! big thx to all of you! I`ve been a spotify premium customer for 1 year now and would hate to have cancelled it!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast