1.    #1  
    So my boss told me to go ahead and get a Pre 2 for work! Wow, that means that work will be paying for my phone bill! Sweet! Now, my Sprint Pre 2-year contract ends in June 2011 and I was wondering if it was possible to transfer my Sprint number to ATT and get a new number for my Sprint Pre without having to open a new contract.
    Last edited by TreoRock; 12/03/2010 at 06:57 PM. Reason: 2011 not 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    So my boss told me to go ahead and get a Pre 2 for work! Wow, that means that work will be paying for my phone bill! Sweet! Now, my Sprint Pre 2-year contract ends in June 2010 and I was wondering if it was possible to transfer my Sprint number to ATT and get a new number for my Sprint Pre without having to open a new contract.
    It should be, but you'll need to call AT&T and Sprint to make it happen.
    Doug Meerschaert
    NoInsultSoftware.com

Apps: Scratch, GasMath, CheckMath
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    So my boss told me to go ahead and get a Pre 2 for work! Wow, that means that work will be paying for my phone bill! Sweet! Now, my Sprint Pre 2-year contract ends in June 2010 and I was wondering if it was possible to transfer my Sprint number to ATT and get a new number for my Sprint Pre without having to open a new contract.
    I don't think you can.

When the new carrier (in this case AT&T) begins processing the "Wireless Local Number Portability" request, the old carrier (Sprint, even though they would still be current) will cancel the contract.

You can call Sprint and ask them to process your Wireless LNP request AND grant a new number, but they may screw it up and assign a new number immediately, leaving you without your current number.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Not certain why you are trying to keep the sprint pre activated but you can right not get your sprint # ported to ATT for that Pre2 and just WiFi on the Sprint Pre.

Even though your not getting a new phone with a new line, carriers still hit you with the minimum contract to get the sweet monthly rate. You could get a line out of contract but the price per month will be much higher.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
  5.    #5  
    My idea was to keep my Sprint Pre until June 2011 when my contract ends to avoid early termination fees. However, I don't know if 6 months of termination fees is that much. Another thing is that I will have to make my wive's Sprint phone the primary account so that she can keep my company discount.
    Lucky you! I use my Pre for work and although I enjoy it greatly, as compared to the previous POS Motorola PTT, the only break I get is not having to pay the $40/month rental they were charging me. Such is the life of a sub-contractor I suppose. It is far easier though for me, I get my orders from a central server and get sent emails for my own records that also doubles as a pager. Less paperwork, 1 phone, the ability to copy/paste the addresses to maps if I don't know where I'm going. I really enjoy using it for work, although it's rarely not plugged in anymore, I use it so much.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    I once did something like that. I had a Treo 680 on T-mobile and 4 months left on my contract. My niece works for Sprint and made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

I called T-mobile and asked if I could have my number ported to Sprint but still keep my T-mobile account active. The operator said sure, but I would have to start by porting the number to Sprint, which would automatically terminate my T-mobile account. Then I had to call T-mobile back and ask them to reactivate the account with a new number. During that call, I had to ask them specifically not to give me a full new contract, but just the remaining 4 months.

So I switched my number to Sprint, got a Treo 755p (which sadly wasn't much different from the 680 except it wouldn't hold as big of a storage card) from Sprint, and then had my T-mobile account restored with a new number and put back to 4 months remaining.

Then I went to cellswapper.com and posted an ad. I gave away the Treo 680 and a small fee in exchange for someone taking over my contract, which saved me some money. Note that there are a few sites like that... with slightly different charges.

(Then several months later the Pre came out, and I had no free upgrade yet. I bought one on ebay.)
    I wil pay your ETF if you send me a Pre2... just sayin
    Your ETF would only be $70.

It might be worth it to just pay this fee and not have to hassle with all of the steps that would otherwise be involved.
  10.    #10  
    I've been with Sprint for 7 years and it feels hard to leave when I'm just fine with my service. Well, I'm leaving Sprint for a free Palm Pre 2 on ATT.