Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I've seen a few threads about how to activate the phone on t-mobile or in ATT and yes I know already the difference between them as a network. My question has to do with price, I want to activate my Pre 2 but since this will be my second phone, I want something cheap. I checked the web sites for both, ATT and T-Mobile and for the life of me, they make it difficult! So here is a question for all the people that already have a pre 2 and has activated it in either network:

I want my credit to last the longest possible (I don't want to put 25 bucks every month on the phone) and I want to pay as I consumed data/minutes/texts (no monthly payments).

Which carrier gives me that? t-mobile or ATT?

Thanks!
    T-Mobile has that. You can buy 1000 minutes for $100 that are good for up to a year. (They have different minutes and time options).

Then if you use data it is simply $1.49 per day for unlimited data on that day.

You just have to be careful that your phone isn't hitting data daily to sync email or other account info. So turning off data use unless you are connected to wifi would be a good idea or you are going to end up paying $45 per month just for data.

Since my son already had a T-mobile acct, the additional line add was free, unlimited txting was already included for the added line, so all I pay is $30 per month to use unlimited data on their network. I still don't use it much because it is slow, but at least won't get any surprise bills.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    T-Mobile has that. You can buy 1000 minutes for $100 that are good for up to a year. (They have different minutes and time options).

Then if you use data it is simply $1.49 per day for unlimited data on that day.

You just have to be careful that your phone isn't hitting data daily to sync email or other account info. So turning off data use unless you are connected to wifi would be a good idea or you are going to end up paying $45 per month just for data.

Since my son already had a T-mobile acct, the additional line add was free, unlimited txting was already included for the added line, so all I pay is $30 per month to use unlimited data on their network. I still don't use it much because it is slow, but at least won't get any surprise bills.
    Well, I finally took the plunge and went to a t-mobile store. It took less than 5 minutes and I got my SIM card activated. Now, for anyone that wants to do this, please make sure to buy Web DayPass BEFORE you insert the SIM card in your pre 2 and try to create a profile. You can do it from another GSM phone or like I did, I ask the salesman to loan me a phone to buy the DayPass first and then I put it in my Pre2.

Only because I know people will ask. No, I don''t get 3G, I only get Edge.
    I'm considering getting an unlocked Pre 2 to replace my Sprint Pre- and using it on T-mobile until the Pre 3 comes out. First I have a few questions. I know that I'll only get EDGE, but compared with EVDO it's not that much slower. Does aGPS work? Are there any problems with the app catalog? Does mobile hotspot work? I don't really care about MHS since I don't get it now on Sprint, just curious.

When I get the Pre 3 I can give it to my brother who can run it on my parent's AT&T family plan, or he can get his own T-Mobile plan. My Sprint contract is up in September but I can pretty much cancel out the ETF with the $10/month I'll save with T-Mobile's even more plus plan. They don't advertise it on the website anymore but it's available if you go to a store. I have a friend who is a T-mobile salesman who confirmed that even more plus is still available but he wasn't 100% sure on the price.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmulloy View Post
    I'm considering getting an unlocked Pre 2 to replace my Sprint Pre- and using it on T-mobile until the Pre 3 comes out. First I have a few questions. I know that I'll only get EDGE, but compared with EVDO it's not that much slower. Does aGPS work? Are there any problems with the app catalog? Does mobile hotspot work? I don't really care about MHS since I don't get it now on Sprint, just curious.

When I get the Pre 3 I can give it to my brother who can run it on my parent's AT&T family plan, or he can get his own T-Mobile plan. My Sprint contract is up in September but I can pretty much cancel out the ETF with the $10/month I'll save with T-Mobile's even more plus plan. They don't advertise it on the website anymore but it's available if you go to a store. I have a friend who is a T-mobile salesman who confirmed that even more plus is still available but he wasn't 100% sure on the price.
    I find EDGE to be almost as good as AT&T 3G was on my prepaid I tried. I can stream Slacker or Pandora without problem, although while moving in a car it buffers a little more. GPS is pretty accurate and I've had no problems with the app catalog.

I signed up for a $55/month T-Mobile plan that gives me $450 min and unlimited data. I didn't get text because I do it through Google Voice so it's data.

I'm much happier on T-Mobile than I was on AT&T pre-paid.