1.    #1  
    So I finally received the Pre 2 I ordered from HP after it went to my parents' house who in turn shipped it to me in Afghanistan. I have AWCC as my provider and have active Internet service through them. I got to the point where I could enter my APN information for activation, but when I enter the information and hit the change settings button, it just says that the settings are invalid, but they're not. The APN is "internet" and there is no username and password.

Is there any way around this besides meta-doctor?
  2.    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    There's a new Meta-Doctor function: Add Extra Carriers.
    I haven't looked into it yet, but it may be what you're looking for.
    I may try that... Those instructions are definitely more involved than the original ones from WebOS-Internals, so I may just go ahead and do the doctor to get past First Use, and then add the carrier settings if need be. Oddly enough, it seems to have accepted the settings now, shows that GPRS is available and is trying to activate. Unfortunately for me, I think AWCC's Internet service is down even though I have signal. AWCC is the best out of the four unreliable carriers, but nothing's great outside of the cities. Ugh. The joys of Afghanistan.
    Bigger picture is was that phone first activated in the US before sent to you?? Otherwise its just better to run the activation bypass tool to at least base voice and data, well wifi at least if the carrier data fails there. Just wont get palm profile or app catalog but rest would work.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Send it back to the USA, get your parents or whoever to activate it on a US network with a US SIM, so you can get the American App Catalog.

Then get it sent to you again, insert your providers SIM, and activate.

If you do not do this, forget about getting any apps on the phone ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Send it back to the USA, get your parents or whoever to activate it on a US network with a US SIM, so you can get the American App Catalog.

Then get it sent to you again, insert your providers SIM, and activate.

If you do not do this, forget about getting any apps on the phone ever.
    Actually, if he gives them (his parents) an email and password to use for the Palm Profile, he won't have to activate again, just insert his SIM and go.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ilability.html

The key to activation with paid app access is location, location, location. Well Rod said that.
    Last edited by addiarmadar; 12/01/2010 at 03:49 PM.

7.    #7  
    Honestly, I don't care about paid apps, so I won't waste the money to send it back to my parents, then waste more money and time to get it sent back to me. The only app I will definitely download is Facebook, and maybe a notepad if the built-in one is non-existent or sucks horribly, both of which should be free.

Thanks for all the thoughts though guys!
    Well you wont be able to access the Facebook app in the app catalog BUT when you install Preware and activate the palm beta feeds you can get the facebook beta app to use over wifi and a selection of notes-type apps in the homebrew.

What it tic, does the lack of palm profile activation also keep you out of the palm beta feeds too? I've never tested this and ought to try.

Quote Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
    Honestly, I don't care about paid apps, so I won't waste the money to send it back to my parents, then waste more money and time to get it sent back to me. The only app I will definitely download is Facebook, and maybe a notepad if the built-in one is non-existent or sucks horribly, both of which should be free.

Thanks for all the thoughts though guys!

you may regret that someday
  10.    #10  
    Yeah, I'm regretting it... I'm trying to get someone here with a US SIM to let me borrow it for a short time so that I can try to activate it the right way and just pay them for the roaming fees. For now, I'm back to my trusty HTC Legend.
    Global Posts
    725 Global Posts
    I hate to suggest the obvious, but why not just call Palm and ask for help to activate and to arrange for US activation for one of our servicemen in a war zone. They really ought to be able to help accomodate.
  12.    #12  
    Maybe I'm misreading you but regardless of the SIM you use:
    - launch country > paid apps
    - non-launch country > no paid apps
    - US SIM in non-launch country > no paid apps

So don't activate in Afg if you ever want to have paid apps on that phone.
    I'm not worried about paid apps. The device has everything I want except for Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by jaltman View Post
    I hate to suggest the obvious, but why not just call Palm and ask for help to activate and to arrange for US activation for one of our servicemen in a war zone. They really ought to be able to help accomodate.
    I'll give them a shout if I can't get the "Show First Use App" patch from somewhere or can't get a US SIM. I have a Vonage box out here that works pretty darn well over our Bentley-Walker satellite Internet service so I can call Palm pretty easily.
  13.    #13  
    You'll only need the ShowFirstUse patch if you Meta-Doctor past the activation scene. You will be able to activate over Wi-Fi but you will still need a signal to determine your AppCat entitlement.
    Moreover, ShowFirstUse patch was developed over a year ago for use on a regular Sprint Pre. Chances are it won't even work on a Pre 2.

If you're not physically in the US, it doesn't matter what SIM you use; the outcome will be the same: no paid apps.
    Again, I'm not worried about paid apps. I just want Facebook.

I can't even find the patch in the preware catalog, so it's probably not meant to work with webOS 2.0. I guess I'll have to wait...
  14.    #14  
    But why would you need that patch?
    Do you have a Dev device you don't want to erase or doctor?
    I doctored the device successfully, but since the profile creation part was skipped, I can't do anything at all on the device. I can see the Facebook beta in preware, but any attempt to install it opens the App Catalog and it hangs. I realized that I was just going to need a legit Palm profile to get either the stable or beta Facebook, so I did some more research and came across the Enable Profile Creation and ShowFirstUse patches, but I can't actually find the ShowFirstUse patch in preware as the instructions state that I should. I agree with you that it probably hasn't been updated for the Pre2, so I just have to wait for now.
  15.    #15  
    UPDATE: I am up and running WITH paid apps!

See this post in arthurnorton's thread for his Enable Profile Creation Patch for details. I followed all instructions, and it worked masterfully.
    UPDATE: I am up and running WITH paid apps!
    Based on all the collective knowledge of Pre users on Precentral, that can only mean one thing, that your phone was first activated in the US. But, in case this is not so, then you my friend, have opened up a whole new world of possibilities for getting access to the app store in non launch countries.

The following quote from your post in the [Patch] Enable Profile Creation on Activation Bypassed Device (1.4.5) seemingly raises some interesting possibilities.
    Everything else worked as it should, and I now have a bona fide Palm Profile! On top of that, I appear to even have access to paid apps! I haven't tried to buy one yet, but they show up in the Catalog and I am prompted to enter a credit card. Note that this entire process was done with an active Roshan SIM card inserted and connected to the GSM network (although Roshan's GPRS is down), connecting to WiFi over a Bentley-Walker (UK-based HughesNet reseller) satellite Internet connection. This is the only logical explanation I can come up with for how I got paid apps.
    Last edited by Sanjay; 12/18/2010 at 01:57 PM.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Yes let's encourage users to test activation outside official territory over a proxy to a launch country, but using a local sim!
    I'm sure it will take just a few to confirm it's a guaranteed way to get Paid Apps. If they don't, and they wasted their one shot a getting a functionally complete device with access to paid apps, at least it's not our loss.

OK, sarcasm ends here
    If I had a couple developer devices I didn't already activate, I'd send them to a couple respectable users (such as yourself and Rod) who are outside of launch areas and see if it did indeed work (with one proxy to the US and one to the UK for each of you). Obviously it would be an amazing thing to test, as the ability to have US app catalog access (or UK app catalog access, etc.) for anybody willing to take the steps I listed (plus a proxy) would be amazing. It would be the homebrew solution to geo-restrictions.

But of course, I don't encourage anybody to do this unless they're 100% willing to sacrifice their device without the ability to return it to HP/Palm (because they knowingly took the risk at that time), similar to the FrankenDoctor work (though we know how that thread ended)
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup