Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I just got a call and voicemail from palm about my request for the $200 coupon. I registered as a dev, but don't actually have anything in the catalog. Anyone whee get this call and if so, what are they asking?
    I'm sure that they just want to make sure that you are actually a developer and not someone who signed up as a developer specifically to save $200.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Which is more or less what I did. I signed up before this coupon was announced though. I wonder how they determine who is legit and who is not?
    Why don't you help them make the right determination in your case and pay the honest price?
    publish an app, that should do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post
    publish an app, that should do it.
    Or take the time to learn how the OS and device work, what the capabilities and limitations are, be ready and willing to make configuration changes, install or remove software and even Dr. if necessary and then bring that here to the forums to help other users and developers on a regular basis.

Everytime someone gives the right solution to a problem here, they save Palm a support call, and help existing/prospective WebOS consumers have geater confidence in the product.
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Or take the time to learn how the OS and device work, what the capabilities and limitations are, be ready and willing to make configuration changes, install or remove software and even Dr. if necessary and then bring that here to the forums to help other users and developers on a regular basis.

Everytime someone gives the right solution to a problem here, they save Palm a support call, and help existing/prospective WebOS consumers have geater confidence in the product.
    Couldn't agree more. Well said, Pastorrich!

We really do help Palm out a lot lol...
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.

Then why don't I qualify? As you can see, it's not enough for the corporate sector though.
    Down with the BourgeoisOS oppressors, webOS users unite!
    Quote Originally Posted by hmarcus View Post
    Which is more or less what I did. I signed up before this coupon was announced though.
    Me too, when it looked like that might be the only way to get a Pre2. But when they announced the coupon and contacted me by email to see if I was still interested, I looked into what I'd have to do to actually develop something, and decided it was more time and effort than I was willing to put into it.

So I never replied to that email (which came after the $200 discount was announce) and I think I will wait for CES and hope I can buy something I like, at the regular consumer price.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post
    Then why don't I qualify? As you can see, it's not enough for the corporate sector though.
    Did you apply and get disqualified?

So far I have only seen one post that someone said they had actually gotten their coupon. There are a ton of devs/folks from the community that have received the initial defalut email, and gotten a follow up email for more information and are still waiting for a coupon.

There are also people who have not yet submitted an app due to the lack of the necessary API's to do what they have in mind.

Not to mention, they unveiled a new dev tool at the Dev Day in NYC called Enyo, and if you had an app that you wanted avaialbe across the spectrum of WebOS devices in the future you would be wise to wait for it.

All of that to say, a published app isn't the only reason one would need/qualify for a dev device.

But if you want one bad enough (to use for the common good of the community of course) you can always pay full price ($449) like I did on the HP web site. Everyone qualifies with cash !
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Everyone qualifies with cash !
    Nice!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    This just popped up in my inbox:

Thank you for your interest in the HP Palm Developer Device Program. Your request for a discount coupon code has been received and has been submitted for review.

Best regards,

HP Palm Developer Relations Te
    am

I got a free AT&T Pre Plus developer device 2 weeks ago, so hopefully I'll get my coupon soon.
    Jimmie Geddes
    I would figure they would email you with the ye or ne but got a phone call eh. Gawd I hope they're not masking their number and called me over the weekend. Could be just TONs spammed in for a free coupon and making the process take FOREVER to filter.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....

Those things are all laudable and valuable to both Palm and the community, but they don't make you a developer.
    Quote Originally Posted by idontwan2know View Post
    Those things are all laudable and valuable to both Palm and the community, but they don't make you a developer.
    I didn't claim to be a developer, nor am I pining away waiting for a $200 coupon to buy a Pre 2. I paid full price. But aside from that there are a lot of developers that haven't yet produced or published an app. So I said these things as well.

There are also people who have not yet submitted an app due to the lack of the necessary API's to do what they have in mind.

Not to mention, they unveiled a new dev tool at the Dev Day in NYC called Enyo, and if you had an app that you wanted avaialbe across the spectrum of WebOS devices in the future you would be wise to wait for it.

All of that to say, a published app isn't the only reason one would need/qualify for a dev device.
    Now, I do intend to develop an app, perhaps several, but if Palm decides that there are others who merit a coupon besides me then I'm ok with that.

But for now, I'm off to Dr. my Pre 2 again so others will know whether or not their USB partitions are safe in the process or if there is a bug that needs to be identified and fixed. I am working with Palm support on it as well. Good thing I didn't wait for that coupon.
    If I didn't qualify for a free developer Pre, then I highly doubt I qualify for a $200 off coupon.

In all reality, I don't need a Pre 2, though it would be nice. I can't really afford one, living on a 8k a year or less college budget.
    Down with the BourgeoisOS oppressors, webOS users unite!
    So far I have only seen one post that someone said they had actually gotten their coupon. There are a ton of devs/folks from the community that have received the initial defalut email, and gotten a follow up email for more information and are still waiting for a coupon.
    Is this a physical paper coupon that is sent via post or a digital one? I ask this because a friend of mine received the following email in reply to his request for a coupon.

Hi XYZ,

I have approved you for a coupon and will be submitting your name to our processing center. The center processes requests and then distributes the coupons. You should have the coupon by the end of the week. Please let me know if it does not arrive.

Thank you,

Adam Danielski
    Developer Relations - HP | Palm, Inc
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    Is this a physical paper coupon that is sent via post or a digital one? I ask this because a friend of mine received the following email in reply to his request for a coupon.
    The information on the Palm site said it is a digital coupon that will be emailed. So I expect that will be the case for any receiving them.
    Well what do ya know.... I did get a call from HPalm developer relations regarging my request application over the thanksgiving weekend but since the # in callerID was blank I didnt answer, DOH! Thankfully she left a message so did call her back this morning and going to see if I get the ye or ne later on today. It would be cool to get a dev pre2 since my main carrier is Sprint the pre2 will only ever be used to push over my apps to test them
    Last edited by addiarmadar; 12/01/2010 at 10:13 AM.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Still waiting on my coupon. Sent them another e-mail explaining my situation, basically saying I'm not just trying to scam you out of a coupon, I legitimately want to develop for you.

It also doesn't hurt that I sell phones for a living, though.Best Buy Mobile, FTW!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast