Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm about to buy myself a Palm Pre 2 unlocked from the HP website, and I'm aware people in the forums are recommending Non-American buyers to "activate" the phone in the USA before I get it sent down to me (Australia).

I have got in touch with a friend in the United States who is willing to help me, but I need to clearly outline to him, what he needs to do to the phone to "activate" it before I get it.

This is supposedly so I can have access to OTA updates and the paid app catologue.

Also if there are any other tips you may have for me, that would be great. I've had issues with buying a Pre Plus before, and I really want to get it right this time.

Thanks to anybody who can lend a helping hand.
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
    Give him an email address that you own, and a password to use (the password can be anything - don't tell your friend your actual email password).

Tell him to turn on the phone, with a US sim card inserted, then follow the prompts to create a new profile using your email address and password. Confirm access to the App Catalog to see paid apps, and then ship the device to you.

Note that a device purchased in the US will have US 3G frequencies, which will only work on Telstra Next-G in Australia - all other carriers in Australia use the Rest-Of-The-World 3G frequencies. If you try and use a US Pre 2 (P102UNA) on one of the other carriers, you will only get 2G data.

The only way to get a perfectly operating device is to purchase it in the UK, have it shipped to the US for activation, and then shipped to Australia.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 11/29/2010 at 04:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Needless to say perhaps, but as your friend is living in the US, be careful with what model you buy (frequencies).
    Yep, it would suck to get it and only get 2G speeds...
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    If buying from the HP in US, the only option is a GSM phone with AT&T 3G bands.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    It works on T-Mobile as well, but you will be stuck with 2G (Edge) only.

Trust me... it sucks. It was the cheapest way I could fully use and test my Pre 2 though. By adding a line to my sons acct. I get full use (phone and SMS/MMS) for only $30 per month. I figure I will keep it even after a new WebOS Sprint phone comes out so I can test/develop on any GSM only device released in the future.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    It works on T-Mobile as well, but you will be stuck with 2G (Edge) only.
    Isn't that what I said? "GSM phone" = Any (including T-Mobile), but only GSM network (voice). AT&T 3G Bands = Only 2G, ie. EDGE/GPRS on T-Mobile.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Global Posts
    849 Global Posts
    There is one thing to pay attention to when activating on ATT.

If your friend has an iPhone or any other phone with real 3G Data Plan, you're safe.

If he/she is activating with prepaid or an account withouth Data Plan there is a chance that you might not get App Catalogue at all.

I have tried activating with iPhone sims (even micro sim), prepaid sim and sims without 3G Data Plan and results are like I said above.
  8.    #8  
    So are we saying here that the Palm Pre 2 unlocked from HP is no good (risky), or is there someone out there that has previously done what I'm about to do, and can give me the green light?

Also, thanks for instructions for what I should get my friend to do, however I already have made myself a Palm Profile and account (which has my info from my last phone on it). Is it necessary to make a new one?

I'm not sure what phone/carrier he has, I'll have to ask.

(Regarding what carrier I'll be going on in Australia, I'm only 15 years old so I'm not made of money, so I'll be going on TPG Australia's Medium Cap Plan - http://www.tpg.com.au/mobile/plans.html I'm not even sure if this is a 3G service, but I can't afford much more at the moment.)

Thanks again.
    Last edited by Editor02; 11/29/2010 at 02:27 PM.
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
    Quote Originally Posted by Editor02 View Post
    So are we saying here that the Palm Pre 2 unlocked from HP is no good (risky), or is there someone out there that has previously done what I'm about to do, and can give me the green light?

Also, thanks for instructions for what I should get my friend to do, however I already have made myself a Palm Profile and account (which has my info from my last phone on it). Is it necessary to make a new one?

I'm not sure what phone/carrier he has, I'll have to ask.

(Regarding what carrier I'll be going on in Australia, I'm only 15 years old so I'm not made of money, so I'll be going on TPG Australia's Medium Cap Plan - Cheap Mobile Plans No Contract & BYO Mobile Phones I'm not even sure if this is a 3G service, but I can't afford much more at the moment.)

Thanks again.
    As per the website for TPG ... they are using European Frequencies.

So you are stuck with the UK unlocked device ... like me ... "To use the 3G"

Let's wait for other Australians to confirm this.
    Last edited by CvvB; 11/29/2010 at 03:15 PM.
    The only option to use the AT&T phone on 3G in Australia is on Telstra's network. Not sure whose network TPG uses or what arrangements that they may have for roaming etc.
    Last edited by johncc; 11/29/2010 at 05:01 PM. Reason: clarification.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    The only option to use the AT&T phone on 3G in Australia is on Telstra's network. Not sure whose network TPG uses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coverage Map
    3G Network (Single Band 2100MHz)
    More than just your standard mobile service, the 3G Network also allows users to do things such as wireless broadband, internet browsing, checking emails, downloading songs from third party websites. The 3G network covers 80% of the Australian population, making it ideal for users who live in major metropolitan areas of Australia.

When outside the 3G coverage areas, users can still access the 2G Network to send and receive voice and sms messages.

For more information or to view coverage maps click here .
    European
    Quote Originally Posted by vladi View Post

Ö

If he/she is activating with prepaid or an account withouth Data Plan there is a chance that you might not get App Catalogue at all.

I have tried activating with iPhone sims (even micro sim), prepaid sim and sims without 3G Data Plan and results are like I said above.
    Whoa!

Can you expand more about activating with a Prepaid AT&T sim (w' data plan?) My Pre2 is en-route to the US as we speak! (with a gophone SIM and 100MB dataplan, prepaid)
    Quote Originally Posted by vladi View Post

If your friend has an iPhone or any other phone with real 3G Data Plan, you're safe.

Regarding activating with a prepaid Go-Phone SIM, as long as you make sure data has been activated on the Go-Phone SIM, you're fine. With a new go-phone sim purchased with voice only, you can either activate the data feature by dialing 611 from a phone while on the AT&T network (NOT roaming) or from the Go-Phone website by registering and adding the feature online.

If not presently in an area served by AT&T, you still have the ability to activate the data feature on your SIM by registering it and adding the feature online at the go-phone website.

BTW, I did this same thing last January on a prepaid Telcel Mexico SIM card while located in the USA. Never went into Mexico. Added money to the acct/SIM using a My worldphone.com online purchase, then I went to Telcel's website and activated a monthly data plan on the SIM using those funds. Still have not been into mexico and the SIM remains functional as long as I use it at least once a month.
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 11/29/2010 at 04:23 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    So TTB, you can confirm Vladi's assumptions to be incorrect?
    Not exactly. I believe he refers to activating with a prepaid SIM that he did not have data activated on or he wasn't sure whether or not data had been previously activated on.
    You'll need him to clarify.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    He's referring to access to the App Cat.
    Obviously, if you don't have data, you can't activate and if you can't activate, you don't have access to the AppCat.
    Yeah, that's why I advised the OP to check app catalog paid access before shipping on from the US.

(Thanks for reminding him about freqs, BTW).

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    He's referring to access to the App Cat.
    Obviously, if you don't have data, you can't activate and if you can't activate, you don't have access to the AppCat.
    I cannot confirm then. I can only say that I've used a pre-paid Go-Phone SIM with the data feature already activated on it to activate a Palm Pre while I was in the USA, and the device has full access to the US app calalog. The person who owns it now has not left the country with the phone. In theory, it should not matter. If full app calalog access is there while in the USA, it should remain, but who knows whether HP/Palm made any changes .....
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 11/29/2010 at 05:00 PM.
    Note that a device purchased in the US will have US 3G frequencies, which will only work on Telstra Next-G in Australia - all other carriers in Australia use the Rest-Of-The-World 3G frequencies. If you try and use a US Pre 2 (P102UNA) on one of the other carriers, you will only get 2G data.

The only way to get a perfectly operating Pre 2 device is to purchase it (P102UEU) in the UK, have it shipped to the US for activation (confirming App Catalog paid access there), and then shipped to Australia.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    The only option to use the AT&T phone on 3G in Australia is on Telstra's network. Not sure whose network TPG uses or what arrangements that they may have for roaming etc.
    TPG uses OPTUS's network so that's no help.
  19.    #19  
    Well I don't have a massive amount of cash, especially after buying a Pre Plus that stopped working. The Pre 2 in the UK is way to expensive for me, so I may just have to get the US one, activate in in the States as suggested, and when I receive it evaluate whether it is worth me swapping to Telstra.

Little question though, is it a possibility to use the phone on TPG (2G) for a while, then later swap over to Telstra to get the faster 3G functionality?
    Well I don't have a massive amount of cash, especially after buying a Pre Plus that stopped working. The Pre 2 in the UK is way to expensive for me, so I may just have to get the US one, activate in in the States as suggested, and when I receive it evaluate whether it is worth me swapping to Telstra.

Little question though, is it a possibility to use the phone on TPG (2G) for a while, then later swap over to Telstra to get the faster 3G functionality?
    Yes.

-- Rod
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast