Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    You people seem to know your way around. How can I order a Palm Pre 2 and get it delivered her to Oslo, Norway ? I have tried several ways, but no luck yet. I am looking for the 1075EU-UMTS version, that I assume will work allright here....

Thanks for replying to this.
  2.    #102  
    Quote Originally Posted by TorsteinKongshem View Post
    You people seem to know your way around. How can I order a Palm Pre 2 and get it delivered her to Oslo, Norway ? I have tried several ways, but no luck yet. I am looking for the 1075EU-UMTS version, that I assume will work allright here....

From what I've experienced, I think you'll need a friend in an "Official Country" to give you a hand with the purchase and the activation. If you don't have a friend there, I'm sure there is someone on the forum that would be willing to help. You are trying to buy a UK Palm Pre 2 GSM unlocked in that correct?
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
    Quote Originally Posted by TorsteinKongshem View Post

There is already someone who sells them activated with access to the UK app catalog. HERE
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    I just had an online chat with a Palm rep to get their take on this. The short answer according to them is that you not only have to activate the device in an official region and create the profile accordingly, but it also depends on the carrier. This seems to go against what I understand from this thread that once it's activated the App Catalog can be used anywhere on any carrier.

Here's the full transcript:

8:36 PM Connecting...
    8:36 PM Connected. A support representative will be with you shortly.
    8:36 PM Support session established with Kade.

8:36 PM Kade: Hello, Thank you for contacting Palm Technical Support. Please give me a moment to review the info you provided.
    8:37 PM Kade: I understand that you are looking to know information about Palm Pre 2 device.
    8:37 PM Kade: Am I right?
    8:37 PM Greg Greg: Correct
    8:37 PM Kade: Currently Palm Pre 2 is not available in Australia, however you can get it from overseas which is an Unlocked device.
    8:38 PM Kade: So that you can use Unlocked device in Australia.
    8:39 PM Greg Greg: Yes I realise that, that is my plan. However as I said I've read that if the device is activated in Australia I won't have access to the paid App Catalog or OTA. Apparently activating the device in the US with a postpaid data SIM allows these to work. As these are important features to me I don't want to miss out on them. Can you confirm what would be required of me for paid apps and OTA if I purchased an unlocked device to use in Australia?
    8:42 PM Kade: Well, once you get the device unlocked at overseas then your Palm profile is created in USA country which will access to App catalog, once you bring the device to Australia then when you use a different carrier then it would not download Paid Apps. As the App catalog work with region specific.
    8:43 PM Kade: However you can download OTA updates if you are using the device in Australia also.
    8:44 PM Greg Greg: OK the impression I'm getting on forums is that there are different paid App Catalogs depending on where you activate the phone. That seems really strange to me, surely the app catalog is worldwide and available to all users regardless of where the device is purchased, or activated, or what carrier it's used on?
    8:44 PM Greg Greg: Can you confirm?
    8:45 PM Kade: The country is based on the location of the wireless service provider that issued the SIM card. For example, if the SIM card is issued by a wireless service provider in Germany, and you were in France when you created the phone’s first Palm profile, the phone is still associated with Germany.
    8:46 PM Greg Greg: OK let's back up a step. If I purchase it unlocked overseas, as I will have to, what do I have to do to get access to the paid App Catalog and OTA?
    8:47 PM Kade: You cannot access paid App catalog, however you can download OTA updates.
    8:47 PM Greg Greg: I cannot access the paid app catalog at all? Why is that?
    8:48 PM Kade: Please check the below given link to know information about it :

8:48 PM Kade has sent a link: http://kb.palm.com/wps/portal/kb/com.../47647_en.html

8:49 PM Greg Greg: OK so let's say I purchase the device in the US, if I sent the phone to a US-based friend and he activated it with say an ATT SIM, it would get a US profile and be able to access the paid App catalog. If he then shipped it to me and I inserted my Telstra SIM card, would I be able to access the App catalog?
    8:50 PM Kade: No, once you change the SIM card on the device with Telstra then you cannot download Paid Apps from App catalog.
    8:51 PM Greg Greg: Even though the phone will have a US Palm profile?
    8:51 PM Kade: Yes.
    8:53 PM Greg Greg: Why is that? Apps are so important these days and a global community would allow for lots of useful apps for people. Why restrict them so you can only buy them in certain countries? You only need to look at the popularity of the iPhone app store to see how well things can work if everyone's allowed to play in the same sand patch.
    8:54 PM Kade: I will forward your request to our Engineers & concern departments.
    8:54 PM Kade: Customer input is an important consideration when we make enhancements and introduce new features.
    8:55 PM Greg Greg: Nice to hear, but frankly I'm surprised a decision which restricts market appeal was taken at all at a time when Palm is trying to turn around the tide.
    8:55 PM Greg Greg: Anyway, on that page you sent me, it says: Devices associated with the following countries can use App Catalog to purchase applications and to download free applications:

* Canada
    * Germany
    * IrelandÔřO
    * Mexico
    * Spain
    * United Kingdom
    * United States

8:55 PM Kade: I can understand your concerns about it.
    8:56 PM Greg Greg: So if my device was activated in the US it would have a profile associated with the US, so why couldn't I use the paid App catalog?
    8:56 PM Greg Greg: It clearly states the criteria is the country with which the profile is associated, not the country in which the device is used.
    8:57 PM Kade: As I mentioned above the App catalog is also assoicated with Carrier specific regions.
    9:00 PM Greg Greg: So if I understand correctly:
    1) If a US customer got their device activated in Australia with a Telstra SIM with an AU profile, and the device was then shipped to the US and they inserted their ATT SIM, they WOULD be able to use the paid App Catalog.
    2) If an AU customer shipped a device to the US and had it activated using an ATT SIM and a US profile, they could use the App Catalog while the ATT SIM was in, but once it was back in Australia with a Telstra SIM the paid App Catalog would NOT work
    3) US customer activated on ATT, if they came to Australia they CAN still use the paid App Catalog while in Australia as long as they still had their ATT SIM in the device.
    9:04 PM Kade: For Case 1 : Yes, as they change the Carrier with AT&T they would be able to download paid apps.
    9:05 PM Greg Greg: OK thanks.
    9:06 PM Kade: For case 2 : Yes, you are correct you would not able to use the same App catalog once you are in Australia.
    9:07 PM Kade: For Case 3 : Once they are to Australia with AT&T SIM card then you would need to activate roaming, so that you can use App catalog.
    9:08 PM Greg Greg: OK thanks. So there's absolutely no way that I could use the paid App Catalog on an Australian carrier, regardless of where it's activated? I guess this would all change if the Pre 2 was released officially in Australia?
    9:08 PM Kade: Yes, you are correct.
    9:08 PM Kade: Is there anything else I may assist you with today?
    9:09 PM Greg Greg: No that's all thanks.
    9:09 PM Kade: Here’s the reference number for our chat: Chat session ID # 75483528 Keep this number as a record of this chat.
    9:09 PM Kade: Well, I have provide you the honest information which is required to you.
    9:09 PM Kade: Please take a few minutes to complete the survey that you’ll receive via email, Thank you for contacting Palm and feel free to contact us further.
    9:09 PM Kade: Have a nice day,
    9:09 PM Kade: Bye!

9:10 PM Kade has ended the session.

Is what he's saying right or is that just the 'official company line' to prevent people committing the cardinal sin of downloading a paid app?

Greg
    Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    8:42 PM Kade: Well, once you get the device unlocked at overseas then your Palm profile is created in USA country which will access to App catalog, ...
    That is a completely true statement. Get your device activated in the USA using a USA launch carrier and you will have USA app catalog access.

... once you bring the device to Australia then when you use a different carrier then it would not download Paid Apps.
    That is a completely false statement.

I personally have at least 6 webOS devices which were activated in the US, brought to Australia, and can download paid apps over Wifi and Australian cellular carrier connections.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 12/10/2010 at 07:08 AM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Rod, I'm not 100% sure, but based upon my personal interactions with Palm Support, they're located in Argentina, and Argentina is on the blocked countries list.
    They think no one in unofficial territories has access to paid apps, because they don't either.

These guys: :: NEXT ::

EDIT: this particular transcript may be from US Support, but these guys probably get their info from the same source International support gets it from.
    First level support reps are not paid to think, they are paid to read from scripts. Harsh, but unfortunately true (and no disrespect to the individuals involved, they are doing the job they are told to do).

Palm should be providing them the correct scripts. They should not be giving answers based on their own experience.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 12/10/2010 at 07:51 AM.
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Ah well, in a perfect world...
    Meanwhile over here in the less than perfect world, they do think, and we deal with it (well, or we don't).
    If only that were true ...

The larger problem is that Palm still has incorrect information published on their support pages, which the first level support personnel are quoting.

Palm could easily publish the exact algorithm and methods used to determine app catalog access, and then there would be perfect clarity. For some reason, they choose not to.

-- Rod
    8:42 PM Kade: Well, once you get the device unlocked at overseas then your Palm profile is created in USA country which will access to App catalog, once you bring the device to Australia then when you use a different carrier then it would not download Paid Apps. As the App catalog work with region specific.
    That, right there, is a whole load of xxxx.

Just to clarify in simple words, for those whose English language skills may be limited:
    1. The country you 'first' activate/create profile in, determines which app store you have access to.
    2. The app store access status can never change, ie. if you have access, then you will always have access and if you don't have access, then you will never have access.
    3. The SIM has no role to play in determining app store access. It is only the country of the network, used for 'first' activation/profile creation, that determines the app store access.
    4. The app store (country) that the phone has access to, can never be changed.

Bottom line, once the phone has access to an app store, it will always have access to it. This is regardless of however many networks you change or countries you shift to.
    Last edited by Sanjay; 12/10/2010 at 04:18 PM.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Just want to mention that you also need an accepted credit card to purchase paid apps.
    As far as I remember, Rod has recommend some pre paid card from US and I've heard there is nothing for EU?
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I actually had a subsequent chat with another palm rep and they basically said what's quoted above (i.e. contradicting the guy I spoke to) that what matters is where a device is activated not where's it's used or what carrier it's on.

@GuyFromNam: WRT Simon Malls, seems that doesn't work anymore... http://forums.precentral.net/worldwi...ml#post2761690 so we'd need to find a mate in the States, PayPal him some money and get him to buy the app for us. Unless something Palm said in that second chat is true...:

10:46 PM Sabino: Billing addresses to purchase apps can be set up for phones in the U.S., Canada, Mexico, Austria, Germany, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Belgium, France, Spain, Ireland, and the UK. Visa and Mastercard are accepted in all countries. Carte Bleu is also accepted in France, and Electron is also accepted in the UK.
    10:46 PM Greg Greg: So as I'm based in Australia, how would that work?
    10:46 PM Sabino: You need to use US based credit card.
    10:47 PM Greg Greg: Oh sorry I missed that bit about Visa and Master... I have a Master, so that would be OK even though it's linked to an Australian address?
    10:47 PM Sabino: Yes.

which to me suggests that it doesn't matter what country the card is based in, it can be used to purchase an app.

???
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    It's a lot of text, it's not that interesting, probably contains incorrect info, and it might confuse newbs.
    Just stick to the rules as advertized everywhere on this forum, and every Palm user should be fine.

a. Determine which AppCat you want, depending on your payment options (credit card vs virtual credit card/gift account).
    b. Activate first time in that official country on official carrier.
    c. Do not experiment, unless you're willing to risk a borked AppCat.
    I thought asking a Palm rep would be a fair thing to do but obviously they don't know what they should.

WRT to 'which AppCat you want', how does one decide that? And 'credit card vs virtual credit card/gift account', I presume that's the Simon malls option? As that appears to be no longer available, if I'm wanting to use a normal credit card, can I do it (despite what I was told above)? If not are there any other payment options apart from the solution I posted above? If not, which AppCatalog should I therefore choose to be able to purchase apps with my credit card or PayPal?

Thanks.
    10:46 PM Greg Greg: So as I'm based in Australia, how would that work?
    10:46 PM Sabino: You need to use US based credit card.
    10:47 PM Greg Greg: Oh sorry I missed that bit about Visa and Master... I have a Master, so that would be OK even though it's linked to an Australian address?
    10:47 PM Sabino: Yes.
    The last line is yet another completely false statement from the Palm representative. It will fail the address verification check.

-- Rod
    I thought asking a Palm rep would be a fair thing to do but obviously they don't know what they should.
    As you have found out, you will get a different answer from each Palm representative, and they will almost always be incorrect in some way when responding to this issue.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Very true. OK can we get a clarification then on the simon malls gift card? I've referred to a post in another thread saying that's no longer an option but it's still being mentioned as a solution. Is that or is that not still an option?

Also for payment at time of purchase of device and also of apps, does PayPal bypass these problems, being a global solution?
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    PS slight OT here but does anyone know of a WebOS 2.0 emulator online that would allow me to play around with a Pre 2 in a virtual environment to see how it works? Given there are none in stores in Australia to try-before-you-buy...?
    Very true. OK can we get a clarification then on the simon malls gift card? I've referred to a post in another thread saying that's no longer an option but it's still being mentioned as a solution. Is that or is that not still an option?

Also for payment at time of purchase of device and also of apps, does PayPal bypass these problems, being a global solution?
    The virtual gift accounts are no longer there, but the gift cards are. You just have to get someone to buy you a gift card and tell you the numbers on it.

-- Rod
    PS slight OT here but does anyone know of a WebOS 2.0 emulator online that would allow me to play around with a Pre 2 in a virtual environment to see how it works? Given there are none in stores in Australia to try-before-you-buy...?
    Go to developer.palm.com and download the Palm SDK. That will give you a webOS 1.4.5 emulator (the 2.0 version is not yet released to the public).

-- Rod
  18.    #118  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Go to developer.palm.com and download the Palm SDK. That will give you a webOS 1.4.5 emulator (the 2.0 version is not yet released to the public).

-- Rod
    Just request for the 2.0 SDK, they accept anybody and it takes a lot less effort than I expected it would.
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
    By the way, much against everyone's advice, I took the plunge and activated my recently acquired AT&T Pre 2 on Telcel.

It shows paid apps, it lets me buy apps... it just works... I hope it doesn't break with 2.0

Ah, I had to unlock it first with nextgenserver service, and well, even if they say that you "must" activate the phone first, no, you can skip activation with a patch (or meta doctor), and you can unlock it this way.

So, it was, Mexico SIM inside Mexico, and it worked (maybe I have the Mexico app catalog)
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Not quite, I remember that when doing FrankenDoctors the app catalog only showed aps designed for webos version 1.0 (this was discussed in the Palm Dev forums), they have a way to see if the Doctor is legit or something

I really don't think the guys that meta doctored their Telcel Pres to 1.4.5 have the full catalog, but now I can test as I do have a spare Pre to play with!

Also, AT&T Pre Plus, free developer device
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast