Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    yes india is gsm but i am worried about the App cat!

and second thing that i can directly use the phone in india?
    if I buy seal packed from palm(UK)?
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by soumild View Post

There are probably some "India specific" forum posts on here that may help you a bit more, but just to be clear, you won't be able to buy a Pre 2 from the UK, ship it to you in India, turn it on and have App Catalog. The key step is to post it to a friend in the United States who sets up the phone there (activates it), before posting it on to you. That is the only way you are going to get the OTA updates and App Catalogue.
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Gavin no offence but let's post correct info OK
    Every device gets the OTA updates, regardless of where it has been activated, provided the user is logged into a Palm Profile (and that's a new requirement since 1.4.5).
    Sorry I was using my past experience. I had a palm profile, but I hadn't activated, and I didn't get OTA updates at all.
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
  4.    #44  
    You can't be logged into your Palm Profile on a GSM Pre, unless you also activate. It's one step. You mean your Plus was activated outside official territory.
    There was a problem with OTA updates on unofficially activated AT&T Pre Plusesm that's correct.
    gotcha.
  5.    #45  
    Sorry, isn't it way past your bedtime?
    its 9:15am here :P
  6.    #46  
    Well, then the answer is Yes, right?
    depends. its either way after my bedtime, or way before.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I've hit a hitch!
    I got someone in the US to insert his AT&T SIM into the pre 2 and create a new profile for me. He picked English (UK) as that's what we use in Australia - but the resulting Palm Profile Verification page (from the activation verification email that was sent) now ony lists euro countries as the possible purchase countries. Will this affect the app catalog availability? Do I have to create a new profile when I receive the phone, and select English US?

grrr HP and their convoluted activation procedures!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3018117/palmverifyeuro.JPG

p.s. editor01 it'll be your bedtime in 2 hours!
    Quote Originally Posted by wired.au View Post
    I've hit a hitch!
    I got someone in the US to insert his AT&T SIM into the pre 2 and create a new profile for me. He picked English (UK) as that's what we use in Australia - but the resulting Palm Profile Verification page (from the activation verification email that was sent) now ony lists euro countries as the possible purchase countries. Will this affect the app catalog availability? Do I have to create a new profile when I receive the phone, and select English US?
    I would get him to create a new US profile. Do not let him send it on without checking first.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I would get him to create a new US profile. Do not let him send it on without checking first.
    Hmm... what's the easiest way to do that?

(I've never used a Pre, and neither has my friend)
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    That's just the screen you get after clicking the confirm activation link. Doesn't mean jack sh#t. It just asks you for your purchase location and store type.
    If create a German one, you get it in German.
    OK, so it won't affect app catalog availability?
    I can safely select UK as the purchase country and it'll be fine?

thanks
    OK, so it won't affect app catalog availability?
    I can safely select UK as the purchase country and it'll be fine?

thanks
    Get them to create a new profile while in the US. Just in case.

Device Info -> Reset Options -> Full Erase

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Hmm... he did the full erase and set it up as english US with the same email address (forgot to tell him to use a different one just in case). I didn't get another confirmation email, so i clicked on the old one and instead of bringing me to the screen earlier where i choose the country etc, it gave me a message saying your profile is now verified.

I logged in and checked the profile details, it says Country: United Kingdom, but under Device Details, the model is Palm Pre2 (ATT) and the correct phone number is listed.

Do you guys reckon the (ATT) bit is safe enough?
    Hmm... he did the full erase and set it up as english US with the same email address (forgot to tell him to use a different one just in case). I didn't get another confirmation email, so i clicked on the old one and instead of bringing me to the screen earlier where i choose the country etc, it gave me a message saying your profile is now verified.

I logged in and checked the profile details, it says Country: United Kingdom, but under Device Details, the model is Palm Pre2 (ATT) and the correct phone number is listed.

Do you guys reckon the (ATT) bit is safe enough?
    To be absolutely sure you should create a *NEW* profile, not log into the same profile.

-- Rod
    can I use palm pre 2 (UK) in India?

with any carrier
    YES! You should have no problem using the UK Palm Pre 2 in India with any GSM carrier.
    YES! You can use the phone "directly" in India. Both, voice and data (3G & EDGE/GPRS) will work fine.
    The 'app catalog' issue is a little tricky though and something to genuinely worry about. Basically, what you need is someone to use a UK SIM to activate (create a profile) while in the UK, for you to have access to the UK app store. If you want access to the US app store, then you will need to have the phone sent to the US first and for someoen there to use a US SIM to acivate (create profile) while in the US, to insure access to the US app store.

PS: It is really sad that Palm has made the whole app catalog issue so stifling anf complicated. With such a unfriendly attidude towards customers, it's no wonder the Pre failed and Palm had to sell out. Unfortunately though, HP too seems to have not learnt fro mthe mistakes made by Palm and have done nothing so far to address the app catalog issues.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
  15.    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by pratz007 View Post
    dont buy it wont work 3g in australia!
    What grounds are you coming from there?

Did you buy the US Pre 2? (P102UNA)

Or did you get a UK Pre 2? (P102UEU)

Please elaborate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Editor02 View Post
    What grounds are you coming from there?

Did you buy the US Pre 2? (P102UNA)

Or did you get a UK Pre 2? (P102UEU)

Please elaborate.
    Ignore him, he's posting random stuff in various threads to get to 10 posts, and has nothing to add to the correct information already provided in this thread.

-- Rod
  17.    #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Ignore him, he's posting random stuff in various threads to get to 10 posts, and has nothing to add to the correct information already provided in this thread.

-- Rod

Some people. *shakes head in dismay*
    Quote Originally Posted by pratz007 View Post
    dont buy it wont work 3g in australia!
    Just so nobody is confused, this answer only applies to a non Telstra customer purchasing a USA AT&T Pre. (which works fine on Telstra's network)

A European unlocked GSM Pre can work without restriction on every Australian network except Telstra's.
  19.    #59  
    my friend in the US is on Verizon Wireless not AT&T. He doesn't think he knows anyone with an AT&T Data Sim. Suggestions? Is it feasible to buy one just for the activation, or can AT&T do it for him out of generosity? lol idk.
    Many of us have done it at the AT&T store. They loaned me a demo phone sim for the two minutes it took to activate and create the profile. Once the phone restarts the sim can be removed.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast