Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1.    #21  
    oh thats great. Thanks rwitby.

And just to confirm, I need to get my friend in the United States to boot up the pre 2 with a AT&T Data Sim, type in my email address and password (palm profile that i set up on my previous palm). And repackage and I'm good to go?
    Once again thanks everybody for your support, its great being part of a forum with so many knowledgeable people.
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
    Global Posts
    848 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Regarding activating with a prepaid Go-Phone SIM, as long as you make sure data has been activated on the Go-Phone SIM, you're fine. With a new go-phone sim purchased with voice only, you can either activate the data feature by dialing 611 from a phone while on the AT&T network (NOT roaming) or from the Go-Phone website by registering and adding the feature online.

If not presently in an area served by AT&T, you still have the ability to activate the data feature on your SIM by registering it and adding the feature online at the go-phone website.

BTW, I did this same thing last January on a prepaid Telcel Mexico SIM card while located in the USA. Never went into Mexico. Added money to the acct/SIM using a My worldphone.com online purchase, then I went to Telcel's website and activated a monthly data plan on the SIM using those funds. Still have not been into mexico and the SIM remains functional as long as I use it at least once a month.
    It doesn't work like that on prepaid ATT. At least in July it didn't work like that.
    I've purchased a prepaid sim and added data plan to it, problem is prepaid data is not the same as postpaid data that's what ATT guy has told me.

Anyway I was able to log into my profile or create a new profile with ATT prepaid with data plan but then following thing happened:
    My profile backed up apps started downloading and then suddenly stopped, few of them even downloaded and installed correctly. Its weird just like if someone has cut off the data connection.
    Now here is another weird thing: If you go into App Catalog it will briefly open and then switch to yellow triangle on same blue background that says Not Available.

Good thing about this is that you will not be stuck with no App Cat forever if you login or create new profile from ATT prepaid sim. All you have to do is Full Reset and then switch ATT sim with one that has proper Data Plan and activate the phone again with either existing profile or a new one.

This is some ATT thing that has nothing to do with Palm phone or Palm profile. My current profile was activated with iPhone sim and then I reseted my phone and re-ogged in from prepaid sim and sim without a data plan and lost privileges of App Catalog. I think even if I switched the sim with one that have data I could not get the catalog unless I do Full Reset and login into my Palm Profile again. And then App Catalog came back.
    Given how many asia / pacific folks seem to want to import a Pre 2 that will work locally, i'm surprised we dont already have a purchasing/activation/shipping business already set up, heh.
  4.    #24  
    I'd be happy to do a deal with you lol
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
    Quote Originally Posted by Editor02 View Post
    I'd be happy to do a deal with you lol
    I'm in the same boat as you mate. Ideally i need to get a UK pre 2, so that it'll work with my vodafone sim.

Yeah, it'd be about $200 cheaper to get the US pre 2, but you'd pay lots more than that to run it on telstra, surely.

I understand that if i activate it here in Aus I'll only get access to freebie apps from the catalogue. But what about sideloading - is there any facility for that?
    Last edited by mickykitsune; 11/30/2010 at 10:43 PM.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by mickykitsune View Post
    I understand that if i activate it here in Aus I'll only get access to freebie apps from the catalogue. But what about sideloading - is there any facility for that?
    What is sideloading?

And btw, I think it will not only be 200 dollars more expensive to get the Pre 2 from the UK, but it is an awful amount of stuffing around considering i don't have a suitable contact in the UK, and sending it from here to there seems like a bit of a waste.
    What is sideloading?
    installing applications like, over USB, or basicly just not using the App Catalogue.
  8.    #28  
    ahhh. i did that for my Pre Plus when I had it. It was fine but two issues with it. 1. Not all the apps I wanted were available to do that with, and 2. You still have issues with OTA Updates.
    I'm in the same boat as you mate. Ideally i need to get a UK pre 2, so that it'll work with my vodafone sim.
    I understand that if i activate it here in Aus I'll only get access to freebie apps from the catalogue.
    That is correct. To get a Pre 2 that works correctly on Vodafone in Australia, you need to purchase an unlocked UK (P102UEU) device, ship it to the US, activate it there, then ship it to Australia, then use a gift card from Simon Malls - Shopping Malls, Mall Stores, Gift Cards to pay for the apps.

Mine arrives on Friday.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    That is correct. To get a Pre 2 that works correctly on Vodafone in Australia, you need to purchase an unlocked UK (P102UEU) device, ship it to the US, activate it there, then ship it to Australia, then use a gift card from Simon Malls - Shopping Malls, Mall Stores, Gift Cards to pay for the apps.

Mine arrives on Friday.

-- Rod
    Haha let us now how that goes on Friday!

Could you please clarify the "activation" part for those of us that are a little slow to catch on? (me.)
    I get my friend in the States to put in a AT&T Data Sim, follow through the First Use process and that's it? Are there any other special things he has to do, because he needs me to give him a clear explanation. thnq
    Haha let us now how that goes on Friday!
    It will go perfectly as planned. I've done it twice before with a Pre+ and a Pixi+ from Germany.

Could you please clarify the "activation" part for those of us that are a little slow to catch on? (me.)
    I get my friend in the States to put in a AT&T Data Sim, follow through the First Use process and that's it? Are there any other special things he has to do, because he needs me to give him a clear explanation. thnq
    If he gets to the point where he can open the app catalog and see apps with prices next to them, then he has gone far enough.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  12.    #32  
    It will go perfectly as planned. I've done it twice before with a Pre+ and a Pixi+ from Germany.
    I've done this once before with a Pre+ from AT&T off ebay, I missed this step though, so now I'm trying to have a smooth run this time

If he gets to the point where he can open the app catalog and see apps with prices next to them, then he has gone far enough.

-- Rod
    My main concern was that because he hasn't used a Pre before, whether the process will be self explanatory or not.

Mine arrives on Friday.

-- Rod

I just secured a Palm Pre 2 unlocked in the UK.

So i need to send it to the US and get it activated there, if i want:
    -Paid apps
    -OTA updates

Those are what I would be missing out on?

OK, well.. question:
    Are those a big deal?

Need to make this decision pretty quickly, I'm kinda torn over it frankly.
  14.    #34  
    I just secured a Palm Pre 2 unlocked in the UK.

So i need to send it to the US and get it activated there, if i want:
    -Paid apps
    -OTA updates

Those are what I would be missing out on?

OK, well.. question:
    Are those a big deal?

Need to make this decision pretty quickly, I'm kinda torn over it frankly.
    I've been through the process before, as has rwhitby.
    When I got my Pre Plus it was shipped directly to me so I had to bypass the activation on my own in Australia. Eventually I got the phone up and running.
    Paid apps weren't an issue, personally, but I found the lack of OTA updates very frustrating, as the only way I could update was through an elaborate doctoring process - erasing all data on the phone. In the end I never got around to update. (This also meant I couldn't get Angry Birds to work because it required the 1.4.5 update that i was unable to get)

Take my advice here. You have one shot at getting the phone. (in most cases) You best wait it out the extra week or two in sending it to the States, so when you do get the phone, it works perfectly and you don't get the "wudda, coulda shoulda" feeling :P I've learnt my lesson.
    Alright, you got me convinced.

Just gotta find someone who can activate it for me. *Starts harassing MSN buddies*

Do they need to be on AT&T? Or what? Remember its a UK device, so will only do 3g on 900/2100....
    Last edited by mickykitsune; 12/01/2010 at 12:05 AM.
    I've got a friend in the US who's totally willing and happy to do it, which is cool.

...but he';s asking for a step by step tutorial with screenshots. Or a video. Any idea where i can find one of those?
  17.    #37  
    I've got a friend in the US who's totally willing and happy to do it, which is cool.

...but he';s asking for a step by step tutorial with screenshots. Or a video. Any idea where i can find one of those?
    Yeah I was gonna request that because my friend in the US may not be the most "phone savvy" person in the world. The last thing I want is for him to ask me what he does next and I say "no idea".

Is there anyone that knows of a video / photographic guide, or has the capability of making one?

But Mickykitsune, if my friend does work it out on his own, I'll get him to brief me in detail on what he did so I can pass it on to you.
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Something like this?
    oh.

I honestly thought that there was a little more to it than that. :P

I've done this myself before (just not while in the states).

Only thing left to know are the sim card requirements. Will our US friends need to have a AT&T data sim? Its gonna be pretty frustrating if they don't, because I assume theyd have to go out and buy one for a one moment use.

Gavin
    can I use palm pre 2 (UK) in India?

with any carrier
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by soumild View Post
    can I use palm pre 2 (UK) in India?

with any carrier
    I don't see why not. I assume india is GSM. You should check to see if there are any other posts on the forums regarding Palm phones in India. There is bound to be someone else here that has been in your situation.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast